mouthpieces for Bari's

kimelabari

thanks guys, I have been looking into getting a new mouthpiece for my bari and have not desided on a type yet.

thanks for all ideas.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day, the Freelancers baritone line played on Schilke 50's. And the Euphonium line played on Schilke 51D's. Schilke's tend to have that flat broad rim that is well suited for marching situations.

When I was in the Army Band for a while I got introduced to and addicted to a Bach 5GS. It's similar to a 6 1/2AL, but with more of a U cup. And a hair sharper rim. It's excellent for clean attacks and general playing. Although maybe not well suited for full out drum corps playing, because of the sharper rim. But it does have a large back bore for playing load.

I'll probably go back to a 51D or 51C4 piece for my Euph. But for now I'm on a 5GS with reasonable results. I played on a 51D on my tenor bone for a good long while. While offering that dark tone, it wasn't well suited for what should have been a jazz trombone type horn. In my junior years I played a 51D on Euph. Another guy played a 1 1/2G, but he was a big guy who's native horn was a Bass Trombone. (And I mean a big guy, he made a Euph look like a sop)

Get one of these:

Bach 5GS (Baritone)

Schilke 50 (Baritone)

Schilke 51C4 (Euphonium)

Schilke 51D (Euphonium)

Dont get one of these:

Bach 6 1/2AL (too conical)

Bach 7C (smaller version of a 6 1/2AL)

Bach 11C (too shallow)

Bach 12C (too shallow)

Bach 1 1/2G (rim is entirely too thin to march with)

The 11C can be a nice piece for a Bach 16 type jazz trombone, but is not well suited for drum corps style playing. And can be restrictive in the lower register.

HTH,

Shadow_7

All those pieces are huge( 1.5G, 1G, Schilke 59, etc) They scare me :rolleyes: , haha. I'll just stick to my Schilke 51D. It must behard to get up to those high notes on those huge pieces!

if your embouchere is strong it's not too hard to hit the high notes on a big mouthpiece, the challenge is maintaining good airflow for proper tone. besides, using a small mouthpiece to boost range is cheating :)

Hitting the high notes isn't really the issue on bigger/deeper pieces. It's that you'll not have as much endurance in the high register on the bigger pieces. Unless you've got a strong chop.

If you're gonna be switching between pieces a lot, it's a good idea to keep the same rim size. As I recall stories of some canadian mounted brass players that could play roughly the same regardless of where the mouthpiece happened to land on their chops while playing and riding horses simultaneously.

when i played bari, i used a 5GS, i liked it a lot. the last two years i used a 51D for euph. i actually played the smallest mouthpiece on the euph line, i think. though 51D is a pretty decent piece. i badgered my parents forever to get me a new mouthpiece, they finally did. i am playing a 1/2G now and like it MUCH more.it does require more air, but that is a small price to pay for a fatter sound.

-Kassi