mouthpieces for Bari's

kimelabari

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my junior years I played a 51D on Euph. Another guy played a 1 1/2G, but he was a big guy who's native horn was a Bass Trombone. (And I mean a big guy, he made a Euph look like a sop)

Hey SHADOW:

Was that "Little Joe" who made the euph look like a sop? ^0^

Thinking of changing mouthpieces from the Vinnie Bach 12C I have. Hey don't laugh (well don't laugh too much) that was one of the big time mouthpieces in the 70s. Anyway, I notice a lot of people on this thread talk about good mouthpieces for lead Baris. Any suggestions for us bottom feeders who play 3rd Bari? The Bari case has a 6 1/2 in it and the tip of the shank is pretty much dented. Should I spend the time to fix up the 6 1/2 or just buy something that might be better. I won't be doing field shows just parades and stand stills.

You're never too old to learn. Thanks in advance.

try a bigger mouthpeice. it will allow a darker thicker sound down in the depths of the 3rd part. alot of corps use schilke 51D's or 52D's. i personally prefer bach mouthpieces over schilke. dont ask why. I use a 1 !/2G for my bass t-bone and that would probably work well but i wouldnt recomend switching from the tiny 12c to the toliet bowl 1 1/2. and anyway i dont think they make those 1 1/2's in small shank so you would need a large shank baritone like a yamaha...... but dont go out and buy a yamha. PM me if you want an explanation. errr yeah go with schilke. those mouthpiece are pretty good for any bari player.

• 1 month later...

Came from a 7c the standart mouthpiece came with the Euph. Then switched to a arnolds&sons 12c and since 2 years I use a Schilke 51C4. Mainly because I'm a voice switcher in our bari line. Supporting the voice witch need support in different parts. So during show I come from really low to lead. 51C4 supports me low and especially high (better than the 51D)

I started out on a Bach 11C.....and stayed with that up the time I started taking lessons from the principal trombonist of the St. Louis Symphony. He switched me to a Bach 6 1/2 AL...which did me good the rest of my army career and my first four years in Kilties.

Then, one of our other lead baritones turned me on to the Schilke 51D....and I was hooked! I still use the 6 1/2 AL on trombone..mainly because I use a peashooter horn and the 51D would destroy it!

try a bigger mouthpeice. it will allow a darker thicker sound down in the depths of the 3rd part. alot of corps use schilke 51D's or 52D's. i personally prefer bach mouthpieces over schilke. dont ask why. I use a 1 !/2G for my bass t-bone and that would probably work well but i wouldnt recomend switching from the tiny 12c to the toliet bowl 1 1/2. and anyway i dont think they make those 1 1/2's in small shank so you would need a large shank baritone like a yamaha...... but dont go out and buy a yamha. PM me if you want an explanation. errr yeah go with schilke. those mouthpiece are pretty good for any bari player.

Don't know how I missed this post for the last 6 weeks - Thanks for the explaination....