mouthpieces for Bari's

kimelabari

Yes I agree.. On the line I played on, all the bari's were told to use Vincent Bach 6 1/2 AL And it turned out ok.. although recently, I've tried the 51D... and I personally enjoy the sound quality I can produce on that mouthpiece much more.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used mostly SB Schilke 51D while marching. But last summer i used a 5g and i liked it. I play lead and am also a tenor trombone player, so 5g was great for me. This year we're required to all play on 51D again... Haven't made up my mind about this yet.

Brian Fischer

BAC 2002 - 2005

• 3 weeks later...

bach 1 1/2 g. those are awesome mouthpieces i think. every time i tell someone i play on one of those theyre like whoa you're a freak. but i like it. i play bass t-bone also so not switching mouthpieces helps keep my embochure constant. It also gives a huge sound and the lower register is truly gorgeous. (you can play as loud as you want and still have a good tone ::its heaven::) Yes i can still play high. I must be the only person on earth who doesn't like schilke anything. I have to switch to a 52d cuz thats what theyre makin us play on but i know its gonna be a b*** switchin from a bigger mouthpiece to a smaller one but it has to be done.

Love my Shilke 52D. For euphonium playing it's great.

Unlike the trumpet players who have a different mouthpiece for every note on the horn, my professor's whole studio plays on them.

Used the generic for M-band my freshmen year when playin Blessing Horns. Switched to my "concert" mp for the next season and I had a totally much bettter TQ. Could get loud and it wasn't gross.

Edited by lowbrasser2003

I think the rule of thumb depends on what you're doing..

I think a 6 1/2 AL is fine for people who are just learning or transitioning from another instrument and that the longer you play/more proficient you get, you should start increasing the mouthpiece size to get the best tonality out of the horn.

I have had positive results with my Wick SM4. It really opens the horn up throughout the range, it is comfortable, and I am able to find the pitch center much better.

I also really like the Wick SM4 although I've never used it on a bugle just my concert euphonium. I usually go with a Bach 5GS Megatone or Schilke 51D for the bugle although I'm looking at going alot bigger for the euphbugle maybe a 1G or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Denis Wick SM3...the largest of the series on my concert euph. I havnt tried it on a bugle, but ive wanted to. It might take a little more effort to get the higher pitches, but with enough practice on that size, you just build up the muscles for it and get used to it, and when you do get up there right, it sounds soooo much nicer IMO. I switched from a 6 1/2 to a SMB4 to the SM3, and thats it, and im probably not gonna switch. Really, its just personal preference, what you want the sound to be.

• 2 weeks later...