Woodwind to Brass

RufusTheBandGeek

I started out playing drums in school at age 9 in 1962. I then joined a local corps feeder in 1964 as a snare drummer.

Between 6th and 7th grade I took up sax, which I ended up playing in band from 7th thru 12th grades, while also keeping up with my percussion. I marched a Garden State Circuit corps on snare and then double bass in 68 and 69.

I majored in percussion in college and played percussion in the Cadets in 70 and 71 (tri-tom).

In 72, I picked up baritone for my last year, where I was a 3rd baritone, playing an Olds Ultratone valve/rotor horn.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started saxophone in HS, already knowing about drum corps. In the summer of 2000, i switched to baritone and marched with a local junior organization. I found that brass was sooo much more fun to play than saxophone. As it turns out, I marched in 2001 with the Glassmen, and now, my major in college is Music Ed.-Euphonium and taking minor level lessons on saxophone.

Bravo to those woodwind players who have found their real calling in the brass section. Its about freakin' time. :lol:

I was (am) a saxophone player...marched trumpet my freshman year in high school, and mellophone for 3 years in college. I marched baritone and soprano at Bush.

I can't say I like brass more than woodwinds or vice versa...but I HATE woodwinds outside. It's a dumb idea.

• 1 month later...

Clarinet 1994-1996, Baritone 1997-present and I never looked back!

I thank my Marching Band Director for asking me to play bari for my sophomore year...never touched a brass instrument in my life, but went for it anyway....I wouldnt have had corps in my life if they never asked me! :P

I started out playing piano, then percussion through most of high school. I was introducted to the Baritone when my high school boyfriend wanted me to sit next to him during concert band....

tried clarinet and just stunk! my poor band director did his best to say....this is NOT for you :)

K4

Man, I can't believe how many clarinet/alto sax conversions to mellophone there are on this thread--I was another one of them! B)

In high school, it was clarinet in concert band and alto sax in marching band. My band director convinced me to move over to mellophone for my senior year. Loved it, except for one problem--the embochure. Imagine a kid with a mouth full of braces...yeah, you get the idea. :lol: The price I paid for a louder sound...

So, fast-forward to the present. Renegades' mello line is the only section full (two years in a row). I guess I'll be in the color guard then... :P

I was and still am an Alto Sax player, but I wanted to march drum corps so Spartans taught me the baritone last November. My band director found out, so I played baritone this season in marching band, now he is making me play it for concert band....I do want to play sax for concert band though. Of course, I would still be playing baritone again this year with Spartans! I seem to be the minority out of the very large list of sax-brass converts who still actually plays sax though :)