Mouthpiece brand/size dictated by your corps?

CozyChopsCom

I have always suggested mouthpieces, but never required 100%. I'm glad that I aged out before Wayne and jack started requiring specfic mouthpieces in BD - it would have been a problem if they had specified anything other than my beloved Schilke 30.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're all using the same horns, from section to section, so for uniformity of sound and good blend, we highly recommend certain mouthpieces.

Sopranos - something between a Bach 3 & 7 - sensible

Mellos - Benge Mello 6 - everything else sounds like a soprano

Baris - Bach 6/12 AL - good on top, good on bottom, nothing fancy

Contra - something on between a Bach 18&24 - nothing fancy.

There are exceptions, but this is an attempt to simplify the equation.

The baritones at Devils play the Bowman TT2. I like it.

No offense to anyone, but I hate the 6 1/2 AL. Way too small even for lead. The backbore, and throat is too #### small. I remember the last time I played one, the mouthpiece simply would not accept the air I put into above a 'mf' or maybe a 'f' volume. Pretty stuffy. I guess it's just personal preference, but I need a little bit larger cup, and much larger backbore.

Also, I think those slightly larger characteristics help the line play with a larger sound, and allow the to really 'open up' when needed.

• 1 month later...

Donnie Van Doren DEMANDED what mouthpiece he wanted us to play.  If you didn't have the proper mouthpiece he would kill you.

Our mouthpieces were provided by the corps.  Mellos used Benge Mello 6  and I think sops used Bach 3C.  All low brass also used Bach mouthpieces but I don't know what size.  If anyone came to rehersal with anything other than a Bach / Benge mouthpiece Donnie would give them h-e-l-l about it.  He especially disliked Shilke.

Baris used 6 1/2AL.  I think mellos used 6V.  Not sure about sop or contra though.  But I am positive that everyone in each section had the same mouthpiece.  The corps provided our mouthpieces and if we didn't use what they gave us we also ran the risk of being killed.

Capital Regiment baritone 01

SMB Hooah

• 5 weeks later...

Cozy Chops :lol: Has anyone tried GR Mouthpieces on sop or mello? Check grmouthpieces.com

Cozy

* just closed your font tags, Cozy!.. sk

p.s. welcome back we missed you!

I had been playing on a 6 1/2 for a while and felt it was time for a change, so I asked our brass tech what he reccommended. He said either a Schilke 51 B or D. He had a 51B sitting in his car, so I buzzed it, loved it, and found one in great condition half price on ebay. :D

For the past few years coats have required marcinkiewicz 308s for sopranos. Kinda like a bach 1-1/2 C. Pretty good match for the powerbore kanstul, comfortable rim, actual existance of a backbore. I must say though, my 20 year old Bach 1-1/4 C makes the biggest sound I've ever heard from a sop.

I'm a big fan of playing on whatever feels the best for the individual player. For example, I'm a big guy, but don't have huge lips, and I prefer the cut of a Schilke. In the past (when I was playing every day) I could produce as much sound out of a Schilke 13a4 as I could a Bach 1C (we won't talk about the dark quality of the sound though).

However, lately, I've been doing a majority of my playing on a Laskey 60S*. It has the ability to hold your chops in when your tired (like a Bach) but takes the air very nicely (like a Schilke). They're still not very readily available to try out at stores, but Brasswind will let you get up to 3 at a time to try and then send back the two you don't like.

Back on topic - I've always been afraid to think of telling people to play on a standard mouthpiece. With young players who don't know how to use their air properly, I fear it could end up more frustrating and disappointing than productive.

P.S. - If you want to try a Laskey for highnotes, and know how to use your air, I would advise an S model over an S* - the S* is a little too shallow for my preference, but I'm being cheap right now and haven't bought the 60S for myself yet.