Mouthpiece brand/size dictated by your corps?

CozyChopsCom

Just curious. Does your corps decide for you which mpc to play? Merely suggest? Not an issue? If you opt not to list your corps, it would be nice to know if it's jr or sr. Thanks.

Cozy

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our brass book offers suggested mouthpieces for each instrument.  Baritones, for example, have 6 1/2 AL as a suggestion.

Personally, I prefer my Shilke 51D.  Gives me the best sound, range, and endurance mix.

My 5 years they made recommendations so as to help the individual's sound fit the book and the overall balance of the horn line.  Obviously bright "peashooters" wouldn't help a dark and classical book and vice versa with a jazz book.  I had to justify my Schilke to Regiment but it made the requirements on the basis of it's customizations.

At Madison some people used what was what came with the instrument, but most brought their own mouthpieces. Staff never really complained too much about using our own equiptment

The brass guy at Brigadiers last year tried to tell the baritone line that they all had to play 6 1/2AL's. I hate that mouthpiece. I told him to go tell the sopranos that they all have to switch mouthpieces and see the reaction he gets.

Needless to say, we kept our pieces.

Interestingly enough, in my sixteen years of senior experience, the issue rarely comes up.  And I have seen a lot of people playing on what I considered to be inapproriate mouthpieces.  The bottom line - it is the sound that counts, not the mouthpiece that you use to generate the sound.  I do believe that many brass players could benefit from a mouthpiece that is matched specifically to their horn, as the Kanstul mouthpieces are.  I bought a new Kanstul mello in 2000 along with their matched mouthpiece.  I found that the horn played very freely, pitches were easy to center, and I had good endurance using their mouthpiece.  It did not help me generate volume, but power never was my long suit.

When I marched Minnesota Brass, no one really cared what mouthpieces you used.  In Regiment, the baritone instructors really preferred everyone at least try a Shilke 51D, but they were willing to let people use different ones if they sounded decent.  The real goal was that they wanted a deep cup, and the 51D certainly provided that and gave a nice rich sound for most players.

Matt

This is an intersting topic... Usually I despise Schilke (just personal preference) and use a Bach 4G (or 3G) on my concert euphonium. (that's similar to a Schilke 51/52D)  Though in corps i've been using a 51D because that's the only small bore mouthpiece I own.  And it's working amazingly well.  Both range and tone quality are amazing, and i'm not switching since everything is working well.  But maybe it's the G bugles...

02baritone

When I marched

Sop 1 - Whatever

Sop 2 and 3 - Bach 1 1/2 C

Mello - 6V

Bartitone - Schilke 51D

Contra - Whatever