Mouthpiece brand/size dictated by your corps?

CozyChopsCom

Donnie Van Doren DEMANDED what mouthpiece he wanted us to play.  If you didn't have the proper mouthpiece he would kill you.

Our mouthpieces were provided by the corps.  Mellos used Benge Mello 6  and I think sops used Bach 3C.  All low brass also used Bach mouthpieces but I don't know what size.  If anyone came to rehersal with anything other than a Bach / Benge mouthpiece Donnie would give them h-e-l-l about it.  He especially disliked Shilke.

Funny you say that because I don't remember a single brass staff member giving anyone a hard time for their mouthpiece................

Maybe he has changed..............

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I taught drumcorps, I usually suggested a range of mouthpieces. All anybody wanting to play something different had to do was come play for me and let me listen to them. Perfectly matched mouthpieces didn't bother me that much, as I never taught a corps where all the horns were matched. What mattered was what came outta the bell.

Sopranos- Bach 1 thru 5 was suggested

Mellophones- Benge Mello 6, or they could play their horn mouthpiece with an adapter as long as they could play it in tune

Baris- Bach 6-1/2AL, or Schilke 51D, or Bach 5G

Contras- Conn Helleberg, Schilke Helleberg, or Perantucci (sp?)

Contras were NOT allowed to use anything like a Bach mouthpiece (especially that god-awful 24AW)

Don Taylor

Back when I taught drumcorps, I usually suggested a range of mouthpieces. All anybody wanting to play something different had to do was come play for me and let me listen to them. Perfectly matched mouthpieces didn't bother me that much, as I never taught a corps where all the horns were matched. What mattered was what came outta the bell.

Sopranos- Bach 1 thru 5 was suggested

Mellophones- Benge Mello 6, or they could play their horn mouthpiece with an adapter as long as they could play it in tune

Baris- Bach 6-1/2AL, or Schilke 51D, or Bach 5G

Contras- Conn Helleberg, Schilke Helleberg, or Perantucci (sp?)

Contras were NOT allowed to use anything like a Bach mouthpiece (especially that god-awful 24AW)

Don Taylor

My years in Spirit of Atlanta, we were not forced to use any specific mouthpiece but were HIGHLY encouraged to use the following:

Sopranos - Bach 3C

Mellos - Benge Mello 6

Baritones - Schilke 51

Contras - Helleberg series

I used a Bach 3F when I marched back then but shortly after aging out I moved on to my "Legit" stock Schilke 20 now. Playing in CorpsVets I still use my 20 and still play all the double High C's that the other guys are playing using Bob Reeves and Shilke 14a4a's. I do tink that most of the 14a4a/a are gone from the line now.

I think that the mouthpiece one uses is completely based on the physical/dental makeup of each persons facial features (lips/teeth).