What's Your Favorite Horn Lick?

FarmerFred

Actually, any PR Sop lick is pretty top notch!  In '92, they had this lick towards the beginning of their 1812 show, that I remember we were at a show, and walking up to the stadium, Phantom was performing...we were at least 2 blocks away, and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, you heard that Sop lick...I got goose bumps hearing it come out of nowhere!!!

OK...so I had to put the '92 CD into the computer to listen to this lick now....It's during the War and Peace..about...1:10 into the opener!!!  ENJOY!

Many many favorites...

The mello lick at the end of 88 cavvies

the sop-mello lick trades in 99 SCV's opener

the whole mello book from 91 Star

the "Elephant Walk" baritone lick from 92 Bush

Tritone "Whoop" lick from the 2002 Bush opener...

..oh wait, you haven't heard that yet.

Add an honorable mention for Rick Wygant's "So-lo-you-can't-hear-it" solo at the end of 97 Garfield  :D

Does all of Russian Christmas Music (SCV 87) count?

I have many.....most from 96:

-impact in the opener (middle finger going to the F#, right baris)

-resolution to the chord in the fifth, when we caused structural damage to the Citrus bowl

97:

'Elsa's hit' in the drum feature

90 Star: when the low brass enter on that note just before the end of the opener dear lawd!

the tiniest little horn lick has been the coolest thing to me for the past few years.  If you listen to the end of Santa Clara's opener and closer in 98, the closer in 99, and the end of the opener in 2000 there are those cool little mello licks that i LOVE.  For some reason that has been huge with me, one of the big reasons i attached to SCV so much.

I know what you mean about those little mello licks in '98-'00!  Those are very nice.  I've been listening to '97 and '98 SCV a lot lately (actually '96-'01 since I just burned a CD with those shows on it....) and there is a real nice mello lick towards the end of their opener in '97 (not the chorale section but the dissonant piece right after it).  Then in Hear Ye, Hear Ye! in '98 there are a few sweet licks put out by the sops, mellos and low brass.

First of all, I would like to say that there are a LOT of horn line licks that I like...I mean a LOT.  I'm just goin' to put a couple that I've heard within the last day or two...

*The run/rip at the end of BD's '93 opener.

*A mellophone rip (SHORT but sweet) at about 2:03 into Cadets '00 opener.

*The soprano solo at the beginning of SCV '95.

*The runs in Cavaliers '95 closer that ends with the soprano soli.

*All the little mellophone parts in Cavaliers '00 opener.

--Like I said, there are a lot more...these are just a few of the shows I've recently listened to and could name quickly off the top of my head.

I'm interested in hearing what everyone's favorite horn lick, rip, riff, show-off...whatever you want to call it.  Post it here and see if there's some the others never noticed.

My single favorite is from the end of Regiment's 1989 show when the sopranos restate the theme from the beginning of the finale.  They're standing in a diagonal line with the low brass marching directly toward them.  Then the full hornline blows the stadium apart.  I love that.

Michael Oldemeyer

That's my pick, too!!  Good call!

Chris

Good ones.The Bari mello 32nd note run right before "the Pines of Rome" melody we all have heard.Oh yeah, and Vin,Chicky's solo was 87,but I liked the one he played in Candide(85) better.

• 2 weeks later...

Favorite licks?  WHere do I start!

1994 Devs - soprano feature in Night Streets.  

also, the quartet in the closer.  Amazing!

Any cadets show with mello licks in the ballad.

SCV 99 - The Canyon

1997 BD - the backfield mello harmony before the beginning of Night in Tunesia.  Nothing technically hard, but it sounds BEAUTIFUL.

Stuff I've played....(BIASED)

Scouts 2001

the C to C octave rip at the end of Ice Castles. (or the High D on the fermata before that)

The Mello countermelody in the opening statement of Ballet in Brass.

Scouts 2000

The triplet 16th's in Taras Bulba

EVERYTHING after the percussion feature.

Americanos 1999

Being one of two people playing the tritone to 5th resoulution at the end of the show.  (F-ing LOUD)