What's Your Favorite Horn Lick?

FarmerFred

In my mind, The Cadets are the masters of awesome horn licks (particularly mellophone). Just about every Cadets show in the past four years has a few horn likes that I can't help but sing along with. Here they are:

1999 Cadets (finals recording)

Trumpets/mellophones at 10:12-10:23--amazing!

Mellophones at 10:59-11:00--very short, but perhaps my FAVORITE mello lick of all time; wish I could figure out the exact rhythm, but I believe it's a simple 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & rhythm. But the notes...oh, the notes...so awesome with the fast back-to-back skips!

2000 Cadets (finals recording)

It's hard to say about this year because the WHOLE SHOW is loaded with awesome horn licks. Here's a few that stick out in particular:

Mellophone melody from 2:35-2:50; love it where the mellos go high after the trumpets come in with the melody at 2:43!

Mellophones at 10:39.

Mellophone runs from 10:49-10:57.

Mellophones at 11:08-11:13; my favorite lick of the show!

Low brass at 11:19-11:20; descending pattern here rocks!

2001 Cadets (finals recording)

All of a Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra rocks, especially the end where full corps comes in.

Brass scale run from 10:27-10:38 just kicks butt. That's all there is to it.

2002 Cadets (finals recording)

mellophones at 3:06-3:08; probably my second favorite brass lick of all time. :)

High brass rip up to the downbeat at 10:17 rocks.

Simple Gifts/America at 10:50-10:55 is cool because it's so subtle yet you recognize it.

That's pretty much everything I really dig that The Cadets play and since I think of them as my favorite mellophone lick corps, that'll just about do it for my list. B)

2000 Cadets (finals recording)

It's hard to say about this year because the WHOLE SHOW is loaded with awesome horn licks. Here's a few that stick out in particular:

Mellophone melody from 2:35-2:50; love it where the mellos go high after the trumpets come in with the melody at 2:43!

Mellophones at 10:39.

Mellophone runs from 10:49-10:57.

Mellophones at 11:08-11:13; my favorite lick of the show!

Low brass at 11:19-11:20; descending pattern here rocks!

2001 Cadets (finals recording)

All of a Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra rocks, especially the end where full corps comes in.

Brass scale run from 10:27-10:38 just kicks butt. That's all there is to it.

Wow... you're right. I just listened to all those parts. Awesome!

Especially those split runs at 10:32 in 2001! b**bs

Also, the mellophone runs throughout Cadets '83. B)

OK, well...except for the awesome mello run at 10:00-10:02, I think the only really good thing about Cadets 83 was Rocky Point Holiday (except the crack at 00:28, of course). I thought the middle was WAY bando and the second to last piece was done better by Seattle 2000. Oh, and the closer was the end of the opener. Simple as that. Anyway, here's some stuff from that year that I actually DID like:

Fast little ditty at 2:13-2:14! I'm not sure if it's mello or sop, but it's sweet!

High/middle brass at 2:38-2:39 area; playing the big "majestic" part of the theme from RPH, it's an AMAZING kick in the stomach when the low brass and percussion (yeah!!!) comes in and really HITS IT at 2:38! Just makes your jaw freakin' drop! b**bs This is where I start screaming. b**bs

Then of course the mello runs from that point to the next big hit at 2:49 are just incredible, as is the sustained unison right before that 2:49 hit.

Then comes the real ####. Exposed mello runs from 2:53 to 2:56 are just beautiful. That kind of technical complexity going on in the mid-ground (musically speaking), the ballsy lower brass going on below that, and finally the sopranos topping it off, I immediately think "shimmering brass". I know this might be scary to read for some people, but this is the stuff that makes me love drum corps, folks. B)

I'm interested in hearing what everyone's favorite horn lick, rip, riff, show-off...whatever you want to call it.  Post it here and see if there's some the others never noticed.

My single favorite is from the end of Regiment's 1989 show when the sopranos restate the theme from the beginning of the finale.  They're standing in a diagonal line with the low brass marching directly toward them.  Then the full hornline blows the stadium apart.  I love that.

Michael Oldemeyer

Pure Power