Jupiter horns?

DCIFanOfAllDivisions

I must agree, Jupiter horn are Grade A Garbage. Whether marching or concert. I've personally never spent a whole season with one but I have heard horror stories of them going 30 cents sharp during a show and other stuff. For their concert horns, their student horns are great for a middle school program. But for a highschool, dont even consider them. Their professional model shows very little improvement over their intermidiate model.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my high school our top three trumpets play a Kanstul COL103, A Jupiter 1602, and a Yamaha 2320. The Kanstul(my horn) is awesome all around. I played the Jupiter(Ugh), it has gold valve caps and nice engraving though. The Yamaha is 4 years old and about ready for the trash(this could be the owners ignorant upkeep).

• 3 months later...

I come home from Rockford and rejoin my college marching band, we had more mello players show up than we had Bachs for them to play on, so being section leader i got to be the odd man out and borrow a jupiter. Not too sturdy, but i had more fun with that thing once the weather dropped under 50! It would really squeal! I had to get a funnel of a mouthpiece to match tone centers with my section, but it was worth it. Would i recommend them, no way. Memphis Sound is doing okay in spite of jupiter. I'm proud of their progress.

Kanstul is a great brand. Very durable. As far as Jupiter, it's not my first choice. Parts and repairs as everyone says is a big factor in buying instruments. Jupiter's metal choice is poor and does not withstand year to year wear. I use quite a bit of Yamaha in my program and it depends on the instrument for durability. I kept my line of them going because I already had a bunch in the program and I didn't want to cross sounds and timbres with new instruments. Of course if I had it to do it from the start I'd buy matching Kanstul horns. The trumpet plays wonderfully well. You can learn a lot about horns and brands if you go to the NAMM show. I play just about everything thats there.

• 3 weeks later...