Just Watched 1978 Legacy DVD

Alot of the horn players in Guardsmen went on to march in 1979. Pretty talented group. We never could march however and the drumline was always iffy. Nice guard tho.

One of the fun things about having the 77-78 Legacy DVDs is that there are a number of people here on DCP who marched those years, so Ive been combing them to find you guys. Terri, there were a couple of moments where I thought I saw you in the Guardsmen performance. Ive been looking hard for Nancy Vetrano too (Lancerfi). Trying get my PC working correctly so I can watch the DVDs there and screen capture those of you I can identify. I sometimes use a animated gif avatar captured from 77 finals.

Somehow we all looked so much better back then!!!

1978 was a tough year for Bayonne. We kind of paid the price for the DQ in 77

by having to go on at 9am at DCI East (right after St. Ignatius)and then we had to perform the first day of prelims while the rest of the top 12 went on the end of the next day. But the corps performed its best at finals and thats all you can ask for.

We took our lumps in visual although I think we placed well in GE visual.

Hard to believe it was 25 years ago.

Jim Dugan

Bayonne Bridgemen

Snare 78 - 81

Kilts '78 was just sad. Not because of the girls in the guard, but because of how patched together the whole show was.

I should say so. The opener was stupid (My Favorite Things), drum solo was insipid, Santana was fun, Seaside Rendesvous was ridiculous and Syne was an abomination, for the most part. It was played at half speed because the show wasn't long enough, it wasn't the original closer for the show either..who remembers The Ballad of Billy The Kid (Billy Joel for christssake)?

I have said this many many times. We got screwed huge in 1977 and 1978 was a make up call so I consider those two years to have evened themselves out.

Anyone with any brains at all who was inside the organization in 1978 could see that year was going to be it for the mighty Kilties, I know I did. The only saving grace is that I met my wife, who happened to be the first female Kiltie.

by having to go on at 9am at DCI East (right after St. Ignatius)and then we had to perform the first day of prelims while the rest of the top 12 went on the end of the next day. But the corps performed its best at finals and thats all you can ask for.

Jim Dugan

Bayonne Bridgemen

Snare 78 - 81

Thats probably true because I think you were a better corps in 78. My impression is that it was the corps that toned itself down a bit, as though some of the swagger had gotten knocked out of you. Harlem Nocturne and Spanish Dreams were awesome! How did we beat you?

Kilts '78 was just sad. Not because of the girls in the guard, but because of how patched together the whole show was.

I should say so. The opener was stupid (My Favorite Things), drum solo was insipid, Santana was fun, Seaside Rendesvous was ridiculous and Syne was an abomination, for the most part. It was played at half speed because the show wasn't long enough, it wasn't the original closer for the show either..who remembers The Ballad of Billy The Kid (Billy Joel for christssake)?

I have said this many many times. We got screwed huge in 1977 and 1978 was a make up call so I consider those two years to have evened themselves out.

Anyone with any brains at all who was inside the organization in 1978 could see that year was going to be it for the mighty Kilties, I know I did. The only saving grace is that I met my wife, who happened to be the first female Kiltie.

I think "My Favorite Things" had been done before by St Andrews in 1973 wasnt it? Have to check corpsreps.com!

Actually I like Syne, going to the back of the field it was great. But on the DVD when the hornline turned around there was some BAAAAD intonation!

I also felt that you should have stayed with the black battle jackets, they were very tough looking.

Don't get me started!

Did like Bridgemen though!

Rocketman - Old Pharte

ampssuck

Jump in man! Lets fight the 25 year old battles all over again! :P

I have blocked this year out of my memory.

Jim Dugan

Bayonne Bridgemen

Snare 78 - 81

Ive got an interesting story for you about Scouts and 78 Bridgemen.

We were out west somewhere ( I cant recall where) Bridgemen had already performed that night and some of your guys were sitting in the back stands as we did our backfield warm up. We finish the warm up with a quadruple f concert G. The idea is to get something to ring the stands, create a little excitement for the waiting crowd. Anyway we hit this chord, its loud and obnoxious! We release the note, all feeling good about ourselves about to turn around and march onto our field positions, when all of a sudden one of your guys in a very hearable disgusted voice says "Quality"! Oh ####! 128 heads all swivelled up to where he was sitting, all of us ready to pour into the stands and beat the crap out of this guy. I think a few of the guys were cursing him and calling him out! The two guys on either side of him look at him like they dont know him! and they want to leave quickly and silently. Lol!

Its all we can do to march out onto the field and truth be told, we were taken completely out of our game that night. One word did it! After we got off the field, about 20 guys went looking for him.

I believe the reason there was so much resentment was that in fact he was right! We were splatty and our horn scores were dragging us down in 78. But that guy was lucky he didnt get a load of pent up displaced anger raining down on him! :P

Jim anyone from Bridgemen ever tell you that story?

1978 was, I believe, the last year Rick Young was the brass caption head. His son Nick marched 93, 94, 96-99, and 01, and was our vis caption head in 02; he still helps on visual from time to time, and his whole family has been involved with the corps since the beginning pretty much. Rick is one heck of a brass instructor.