Blue Devils Family Night

Wow....with a 1600x1200 screen, I wish the box I was writing in is a little bit bigger.....oh well......on with the show........

It's late for me, so there will be zero syntatical or grammatical corrections......if it's what you think.....it probably is.......

Here is my short list of impressions of tonights Blue Devils Family Night

Wow Moment:

~~~~~~~~~

The girl from the Blue Devils C corps singing the Star Spangled banner. Incredible job, particularly considering her age and having to stand in front of so many people. By itself it was impressive, considering the peripherals.....great job!

Loudest Horn Line:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tough call.....the loudest note definitely goes to the Renegades. Man....that note at the end of Mambo was L O U D!!!!!!! Consistent volume level (coupled with dynamics) throughout the performance goes to the Blue Devils.

Crowd Favorite:

~~~~~~~~~~

As usual, the Blue Devils C corps. The Mission Impossible theme with the fuse was a good idea. Everybody figured it out where I was sitting.

Moment of Awe:

~~~~~~~~~~

The yearly cheer for the Odello's....the founders of the Blue Devils. The second moment of awe goes to Jerry Seawright. The architect behind the Blue Devils A corps and organization as it exists today. They both still garner standing O's.

First Unbevelievable Moment:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did the Blue Devils B corps drum line really throw down those notes? I couldn't believe how well that drum line was performing. And they were big, too. Almost as large as the Blue Devils A drum line. Wow!

Highest Note Award:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some guy playing Dog Whistel ($1 to Jeff Dimello) in the Blue Devils A horn line.

My First Whistle of the Night Award:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goes to......the Renegades. I felt compelled to whistle and make people plug their ears at the last note of Mambo.......

Pet Peeve of the Night:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Won't name the corps, they'll know.......contra horn angles were less than respectable for a drum corps while marching. While kneeling in front of the front side line, okay. Marching....ummmmm, the box is the thing above the 50, not on the 20.

Loudest Contra Player:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Renegades........there is a guy in that section, after the rest of the line started to weaken, that just punched through the whole horn line. This guys is near the back side line, and you could hear this guy over the whole horn ensemble....even over the 3rd baritones. Somebod buy that guy a nice cold beer and an ice pack for his chops....they must be bleeding after that.

Moment of Irony:

~~~~~~~~~~~

The announcer saying he recognized the Blue Devils tunes and that that hasn't happened in several years.........the crowd nearly gave a standing-O at that point....Hmmmmmmmm.......hint, hint......

Shocked Factor:

~~~~~~~~~~

Typically, the Blue Devils A corps has done lack luster performances at Family Night (it's been the first show of the season the last several years, incuding this year).

The corps this year let it be known they are ready for the season and, as far as the horn line is concerned, came out on FIRE!

Tonight was the best Blue Devils Family Night peformance (actually, June performance) that I've seen in a long time. I couldn't believe how well the Blue Devils A corps performed. Certainly, there were rought spots, but the quality of sound throughout the performance was amazing.

Big Breath Award:

~~~~~~~~~~~

(hopefully, the last time)....The Renegades 8.

Quick Assesments:

Blue Devils B corps is quite challenging and they seem to be handling it quite well. The drum line, particularly the bases and the snares were hammering out some notes tonight. To make a horn person notice....well.....

Renegades

~~~~~~~

Loved the opener, particularly with the addition of Larry's solo. I thought that was a great way to start the show. The horn line sounded well balanced and had a nice tone to it.

Mambo.......the horn line definitely has this tune under their belt. Each section could be heard.....although the mello's need a little help in the volume department. The ending of Mambo was definitely the loudest note of the night......L O U D !

The drum solo was fun to watch and had my son banging his knees. Looks like the cymbal line has grown in size..........and they're still having fun.

Bohemian Rhapsody is going to be a great tune for the corp. The sops were screaming (how many lead sops are there, anyway........). The baris definitely have presence as well as the Contras.

The Blue Devils show is GREAT!

Wow......love the music, screaming soloists, jazz, horn line running, drummers changing it up, up front, jazz, screamers, incredibly well balanced horn line, jazz, screamers, great arrangements, jazz, screamers, well balanced horn line.....d###.....felt like I was marching again.

This show is GREAT! Tops the last several years as far as music by a long shot. My jaw made it to the front side line when Channel One started and the horn line was spread out so far. Almost like when I marched......YEAH! Pretty soon, the horn line is in a 90 yard company front.......man......I liked the new arrangement for Channel One Suite.......and I thought the entire show was incredible.

Looks likle the corps from Concord will have another exciting summer.

To all the corps......thanks for a great show.

Rob

Blue Devils B 80

Blue Devils A 81-85

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each section could be heard.....although the mello's need a little help in the volume department.

dude.......you are not allowed to comment on the volume of the mello's, until you are in the line. BAD ROB!

now...put the wine glass down and get to rehearsal!!

think about it Rob, there are only 25 more days left on the renegades schedule. you could do it. though....you would have to play soprano at this point. get your foot in the door for next year.

dude.......you are not allowed to comment on the volume of the mello's, until you are in the line. BAD ROB!

now...put the wine glass down and get to rehearsal!!

Funny you should mention that. I was having a glass of wine when I wrote the review. My daughter made me drive all over until we found you. She wasn't going to let us go home until we found Rich and Greg (although, we never did find Greg....saw Larry and Doug though).

think about it Rob, there are only 25 more days left on the renegades schedule. you could do it. though....you would have to play soprano at this point. get your foot in the door for next year.

Hmmmmmmm.......

Yes, last nite was awesome. Congratulations Lewie on a kick ### drum majoring job last nite, you rock!

Hey Guys, oh holy members of the Renegades and former BD members ......I humbly request....Please, please, please, please, please, please, please,PLEASE !!!!!!

WHAT WAS THE GUARD WEARING ??????????

and ~ What kind of equipment did they use :lol:

Thank you,

Geoffrey

Hey Guys, oh holy members of the Renegades and former BD members ......I humbly request....Please, please, please, please, please, please, please,PLEASE !!!!!!

and ~ What kind of equipment did they use  :lol:

Thank you,

Geoffrey

I can say that I don't remember seeing what they wore in the movie the Matrix, but they could give Trinity a run for the money.... :)

^0^

and ~ What kind of equipment did they use  :lol:

Thank you,

Geoffrey

I can say that I don't remember seeing what they wore in the movie the Matrix, but they could give Trinity a run for the money.... :)

^0^

???? What does that mean ????

~G~

Let's just say that when the guard came out....some were not even recognizable as their former selves, and more than once we hweard things along the lines of "d###!!! The guard cleans up well!!!!"