Columbus Show 6-17

Brief thoughts about tonight's show in Columbus, OH:

THANK YOU, PHANTOM REGIMENT! What a phenomenal show design. Powerful, but musical. Sophisticated, but accessible. This show is sure to be a favorite this season, and has such potential to grow. Although the drum lines seems a bit weak, the brass and colorguard display great talent. Watch for the guard doing a classic "guillotine" using the sickles. Their performance level right now is clearly below that of the Glassmen, but they have the vehicle capture the hearts of the audience. This show will deliver goose-bumps come August.

Again this year, the GLASSMEN have an especially strong drum line and soloist. Apparently proud of the reputation for delivering boring shows, they now sell T-shirts that say "BORING." Well... at least they are listening to the audience. Hmmmm...

After the BLUE KNIGHTS performance at semi-finals last August, I thought "Well... I bet they won't be playing cartoon music next year." Regretfully, things have become even worse. BK's show is a quagmire of hopelessly esoteric music and muddled visuals. The few interesting things that happen (keyboards being moved around the field, for example) seem random and confusing.

Here's something that I really can't stand about some drum corps performances: color guards who spend their time before the show begins tossing the heck out of their rifles and dropping or improperly catching nearly every toss. If the guard can't (yet) toss and catch correctly, why do they think we want to watch this embarrassing display for five minutes. PLEASE... leave it for tomorrow's practice.

MADISON takes immediate command of the field with their "Conquest" theme. The guard's plastic (?) conquistador costumes seems odd at best, and tacky may be a better description. Watch for a brief moment of the guard doing capoeira (Brazilian martial arts/dance moves). The show lacks the level of innovation to take them back to the upper echelons, but they should remain a crowd favorite this season.

Sorry for the crabby review. I really was excited for this early-season show. Unfortunately, only Phantom Regiment provided an entertaining and innovative show tonight.

1 Glassmen 68.85

2 Phantom Regiment 68.65

3 Madison Scouts 64.30

4 Blue Knights 59.40

5 Capital Regiment 52.40

6 Pioneer 48.95

7 Americanos 47.05

8 Scenic City 38.85

9 Glory Cadets 33.40

You can soon read my review in DCW... but I totally agreed with you on Phantom... they were a delight...

and no, I didn't "get" Blue Knights either...

Great evening... big thanks to Rick Bays and his crew from Cap Regiment.

Tom

good reviews, I'm finally reading these and finding that these are fun!

I only wish I could see the shows now...

I get to finally see Regiment at Woodstock Sunday! I can't wait!!!!!

:D

-Terri

"It's a free concert from now on. That doesn't mean anything goes. What that means is we're gonna put the music up here for free..."

Oops! Wrong "Woodstock"!

(John Morris, stage announcer and talent coordinator, Woodstock Music and Art Fair, August 15, 1969)

:P