Spirit hornline, 1979, 1980

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved Spirit's 79 & 80 horn line. I saw them 3 times in those 2 years and all I could say is WOW!!!!! Ear plugs wouldn't even work. I really loved that sound. I also had the pleasure of Jim Ott writing the Caballeros show in 1980 and the man was increditable with horn lines.

RIP- Jim Ott

Isn't it amazing the lasting impression that Jim Ott continues to make on Drum Corps these 24 years after his death? Says alot about the man and his incredible talent.

The same can be said for George Zingali...a master of guard and visual effects.

I am pretty sure on this fact, Severville (sp) TN. was the 1st show that Spirit competed at after the accident that took one of the all-time greatest horn instructor. I don't remember if they had added "Georgia" yet to the opener, but I will never forget hearing them in prelims at Birmingham. A couple of buddies and I had snuck into the reserved for judges section in the upper deck of the stadium. All I can say is......

WOW ! ! ! ! ! !

Edited by steelcityrabbit

Actually, it was plexiglass... much harder to break.

It was bullet proof too, Right?

The first time I heard them in a semi-circle I think some skin peeled from my face. How is THAT for loud?!

Spirit to this day was the loudest, most balanced, in tune hornline that I have ever heard. When they played Let It Be Me, the sonority that came out of that hornline was incredible. What a real treat if you ever got to sit in front of that corps for a music ensemble rehearsal when they just played.

• 2 months later...
Spirit to this day was the loudest, most balanced, in tune hornline that I have ever heard. When they played Let It Be Me, the sonority that came out of that hornline was incredible. What a real treat if you ever got to sit in front of that corps for a  music ensemble rehearsal when they just  played.

We used to call their show, "the drive-in" drill. Put the horn line close to the crowd and blow their hair back!

We played with Spirit and BD in a standstill in a tribute to Jim Ott at Precision West in '79. 200 horns--louder than anything you can imagine.

Let It Be Me? One of the best!

Big fan of Spirit!