Spirit hornline, 1979, 1980

You did that in 79 and played to him? Is that what you mean, or in 80 after his passing?

Ooops. The two years kind of run together. It was '80.

Must have been mind boggling, now that would be a tape to listen to!  :blink:

The spectacle of all of those horns was amazing in and of itself.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost, I am not trying to belittle you, or the memory of that emotional night on July 19th, 1980 at our home show Precision West, but PLEASE can we get the facts right? This is the 2nd time I have seen you reference to this, and you have two different scenarios within 45 min of one another, here are excerpt from these posts:

Sorry Legend. It's been a long while since I've thought about that event and I did get the year wrong. I wasn't sure myself and looked up the info.

I thought that Spirit had played with us, but I think you're right. They were not there. It amazes me that you guys can remember everything with such clarity. I can't. Megaprops, though. :blink:

the '78 line was very loud too. I remember warming up near them at GA tech that year. Holy ####.

The thing about 79/80 Spirit hornline that I remember was that on occasion, if the hornline was warming up close enough to the field where a lesser  :( (hate to use that term) corps was performing, they would on occasion drown the performing corps out!!!

Sorry, that's not too p.c., but it's how uncle z's grey matter recalls it!!

Anybody else recall that "otherworldly" mellophone sound at the beginning of "Higher and Higher"?? :blink:

Well, that pretty much answered what Legacy DVDs to get next.

As little as I got to actually "know" Jim in the old Cali days of the late 60s and early 70s (him being NorCal and me SoCal and just catching him at shows: him the NorCal talented writer and instructor and me the "new guy at the table" from down south)...or catching a ride back from Stillwater to Mpls (unfortunately way too short) with Jim and Wayne Downey back in 76, I think it was, I, like the rest of you, miss him and applaud his successes and, as usual, great talents and equally great men like Jim, will always be remembered in this activity.

Fittingly, Jim will be remembered for "Spirit," as his sure still does shine down on us, doesn't it?

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

• 6 months later...

The Spirit of Atlanta hornline was great in 1979-80....I remember them beating us in horns in 1979 at a show somewhere in Iowa,.....the whole BD hornline applauded as they marched passed us at retreat. However, the 1978 Spirit hornline was very, very, very loud....anyone remember the name of their opener in 78 when the sole soprano soloist marched down the fifty yard line swinging his soprano back and forth....that was an awesome opener, much better than Georgia On My Mind (IMO).

The Spirit of Atlanta hornline was great in 1979-80....I remember them beating us in horns in 1979 at a show somewhere in Iowa,.....the whole BD hornline applauded as they marched passed us at retreat. However, the 1978 Spirit hornline was very, very, very loud....anyone remember the name of their opener in 78 when the sole soprano soloist marched down the fifty yard line swinging his soprano back and forth....that was an awesome opener, much better than Georgia On My Mind (IMO).

Opener was "Walk Him Up the Stairs" from the musical "Purlie". Soloist was Joel Schultz who also played the Georgia Solo in '79 and '80.

And you are right, '78 was pretty incredible. One of the first drum corps I ever saw live and I remember being completely blown out of the water by both Spirit and Bridgemen that night.

Later, AA

Opener was "Walk Him Up the Stairs" from the musical "Purlie".  Soloist was Joel Schultz who also played the Georgia Solo in '79 and '80.

And you are right, '78 was pretty incredible.  One of the first drum corps I ever saw live and I remember being completely blown out of the water by both Spirit and Bridgemen that night.

Later, AA

IMO 1978 was one of the best years for hornlines. There was so much talent that it made finals that much more enjoyable......Bridgemen I feel should have placed much higher at finals and Spirit,....well, you heard my rants!!!

We were on tour with all of you big boys in '80 and were fortunate to never make the night shows as competitors.

As a result, we got to see all of the shows in prelim and final competitions in places like Lynn, Marion, Butler, Allentown and Birmingham.

As for Spirit, by the time we got to Allentown we had a plan.

Myself and two of my buddies managed to get ourselves on the 50 on the walkway between the stands and the upper deck.

Probably the perfect spot to catch a horn line during a push.

Georgia starts, the arcs rotate and we get hit with the blast.

Never before or since has a horn line made my whole body cavity vibrate.

It was incredible and in tune.

If you want to get a sense for how loud they were, listen to the recording of the '79 show. The echo coming off the backfield stands is louder than some other corps facing front.

I marched 79 with Spirit. I am not being biased here in saying. I was hurt the first part of tour and missed a day of practice with cut hands. Jim Ott had me stand in front of the ark during practice.

Wow an Ark, most corps travelled by bus back in those days. b**bs b**bs

Um, Phil, I think he means an arc...you know...an arched line?

I don't know, though, from the stories I read about some of the corps buses, some of them were as old as an ark...Noah's Ark!

:lol: