DCI Hopeful

thrilla4rmmanilla

I plan to spend my senior learning to play Baritone, considering its the only brass instrument I can make a decent concert f on. I know division 1 chances with one year experience is out. Any chances for dv. 2 or 3?

I'm a sax player so I'm torn between horn or baritone, suggestions on which one should i pick please?

all the suggestions help.

thanks!!

It's definitely a possibilty.....I know of a lot of corps who are willing to teach you and work with you and other things.....I know personally if I had someone in my trumpet section who had never played, I'd try to help them out myself....and a lot of people are willing to do that......just a question, where do you live?

i take it you are marching next year. listen if you work hard you CAN make a D1 corps. its all how bad you want it. if you work your a## off during your senior year you can do whatever you want. march wherever you want to march. march somewhere you WANT to march. dont just go to d2 or 3 just cuz you don't think you can make a d1. what, are you just gonna sit on your @ss and stroll into a d2 or 3 audition? thats not fair to them. its also disrespect if you think about it. thinking you dont have to be good to be in their hornline. (BTW dont take my comments too harshly. i tend to be a little blunt but i dont mean to belittle you or anything.::no disrespect::) HARD WORK=do w/e you want.

Edited by miar

Oh, Thanks, I live in Texas. about the closet corps here is revolution in san antonio.

Couple of people here tried out for the bluecoats, made it. And our one all-state trumpet player from 4 years ago (eric bareaes) made drum major for the cavies this year. how awesome.

So, if I was a (say) somewhat still learning baritone, they would still consider me for like the SCV? awesome.

thanks again.

If you practice enough you can make any line you want. They don't care on experience, its all about if you can handle he horn and the music.. etc, and for D1 be better than enough to make thier 64ish number hornline. But almost all 2/3 corps will train you with no experience. If your already in the process of learning, any will 2/3 corps will take you to the next level, and you may very well likely just stay there. Thousands of people stay in 2/3 for a reason, and its not because of thier talent level. I stayed because it was the most fun i'd ever had and i learned so much i had no reason to leave.

I say go out for Revolution....they are a good corps, and they are the closest to where you live, so it makes the most logistical sense. I am almost positive that they would be glad to have you in the hornline if you have a good attitude, even if you have been playing for less than a year. I had never played brass before at all when I joined my local division 2 corps a few years ago, and the staff and other members taught me everything I know about brass. It is a great way to learn quickly. And you will have just as much fun marching with Revolution as you would with a division 1 corps, trust me. And you never know, with the way things are looking for Revo, they may even BE a div 1 corps by next year!

Then, after a year or two experience with Revolution, you could try out for one of the top corps, like SCV as you mentioned. Although I wouldn't be surprised if after marching a year with Revo, you decide to stay there instead! They are a very high quality organization, IMO.

Thrilla...

Come to a Trooper camp. If you want to come and get in on the ground floor of a resurgent, venerable, classic, drum and BUGLE-type corps...check out our website and strap in!

I've told this story many times on various forums.

You can make any corps you wish given the determination and drive to achieve the level required. It certainly takes time. However, it can be done.

I made the Blue Devils A corps after having played a brass instrument for 10 months. I played clarinet in high school. My sophmore year, I joined the Blue Devils B corps and learned how to play soprano and mellophone. I tried out, and as a 3rd soprano in the B corps, was the only member of the soprano line to make the A corps.

I was horrible at my audition due to nerves! However, I was give a chance and made the horn line.

I realize competition is stiffer these days. However, I'm a firm believer that if you set your goals and have the balls to achieve them, then can be done. The only limitation is what you expect of yourself and your capabilities.

When I was in the BDB corps....my single goal was to make the A corps. It was a stepping stone, I knew it, I realized it, and I took all that they taught me to achieve my goals.

Just ask yourself.....in ten years from now....will you regret your decision?

The worst that can happen by trying out for the corps of your dreams is you're told "sorry, come back next year". But you'll never know or hear those words unless you try.

Honey, I'm a woodwind. I picked up a baritone in October this year and practiced every single day until my Div.I auditions in November. And now I'm in a Div.I corps. If you practice every single day, rain or shine, you could easily make a Div.I corps next year. A decent one, at that. If they see you have the dedication, they'll overlook some cracked notes, because they know when you come back to the next camp, they'll be coming out clean. ####, you could get into a Div. II/III this year! that would be even better practice. Good luck and don't give up.