Lead Trumpet/Soprano question

Sopmedic

Lack of oxygen and the blood rushing back into your head. ;)^

yeah i get the same thing and im on lead BARITONE. o that ballad. o christ. it hurts. but its sort of i guess a good kind of pain? is there such a thing? all i know is if my head doesnt hurt, i didnt play hard enough.

Yeah i know what you mean. But I usually only get it when i've been either pushing alittle, or tightening my throat. When i'm blowing free and open and no pinching or closing my throat i don't get them. But i've had them in the past where it just hurts like a mother... Its not fun. I find drinking water and just breathing slowly helps after playing some high and loud charts..

Guest mafields627

No, because my equipment is balanced and will handle the kind of air I need to push. When I play on something with a tight throat, like a Bach 3C, then that happens.

well i play baritone so an open throat is something that i cant help playing with. ive seen myself play and my neck expands like a frog. its pretty funny looking. i still get them though. maybe i am abnormal. much respect to all lead trumpets. i cant imagine the pain.

Like we say:

"If you wanna play lead, ya gotta BLEED!"

It's an oxygen to the brain thing...

It's even worse if you're hung over! Parades/shows over 2/3 days around the 4th of July come to mind where this has happened to me. UGH!

(Of course it beats the alternative...taking it down an octave or sound level)

Ya, I used to get those...I dont anymore. I do believe that it was just an air thing though, because this year I focus on breathing and I dont get any headaches.

The only time i ever got a headache was a) playing dancing men in jazz band and I didn't go below a high d :P or B) when I was trying to be really stupid and play a double c as long as i could.....and normally i don't use pressure, so i don't know why i got them......but it's all good

and btw Brian, we have some open trumpet spots if you're interested B) lol