Bottom or Top Heavy

Shintao

Of the two, I'd prefer a big bottom to the sound, because you have the option of the richer, darker sound. It's easier to take away than add in balance.

Edited by IUPOrpheus

I love to hear a big rich bottom end with nice crisp top end highlites!

To me that is the essence of power!

I thought this thread was going to be about something else. I guess balance would still be the key there too. ;)^

Back in the 60s when you couldn't say S-E-X on TV there was the Newlywed Game where they asked a spouse questions and then had the other spouse try to match the answers. They actually had this question: Does your wife have more "upstairs" or "downstairs". I remember because I was in elementary school and had no idea what they were talkingabout. :blink:

i dig the lower sound.....especially on the cutoffs when you get that hint of the tubas just holding on a little longer for the resonance!

A fantasy hornline would need more bass. You don't need as many sops to feel their presence.

If you had a really big hornline (I mean big) and had an equal amount of sops to bari's, what you could do is park them in an arc, let them have their way with the volume and remove a sop and replace them with a bari until the peoples ears stop bleeding.

That's when you would achieve perfect balance. I'm all about balance. :P

The whole thing is really a paradox. If you don't want the thin sop sound then you have to have a solid low brass section. Plus if you have the proper balance with enough of the low brass sound, you'll get more overtones sounding with the sops. I dunno, I guess since I'm a melo player I have to go with the high brass sound. Although the high would sound like crap without the power of the low brass.