The Commandant's Own!!

So The Commandant's Own, U.S. Marine Drum & Bugle Corps are on their tour after their spiring training in Arizizona and are making stops in Southern California and they just happened to stop at MY high school! I've been waiting for this for 2 weeks and i was so excited, since i've seen them perform the past 2 years at DCI shows.

They showed up during lunch and were warming up and we all went to watch the drumline warm up, great stuff! and the horns sounded awesome! they then went and did a little ensemble and it was awesome! The opening baritone solist was great! I also got to talk to some of the staff about members in DCI, including members from The Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Crossmen, and SCV.

They then stepped on to the field to perform and they looked great.

They opened with a medly of 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and the bass drums had these pieces of metal on their drums which made it sound like a boat rocking of the bouyes in the water... really awesome, great baritone soloist. When the full hornline came in it was great! a huge blsat of sopranos playing Pirates was awesome.

They then moved into their percussion feature called 'Bluegrass Breakdown' which was great, the snares were awesome, tenor solo was great.

Following that was a rendition of God Bless America, good stuff, followed by some announcements.

After the announcements they played a song which featured the hornline, Tcaicovsky's (sp) Symphony #4 and the hrns sounded awesome, very talented. They then moved into the classic "Caravan" which was total hype, i loved it and so did all the band kids around me.

They closed their "Music in Motion" segment with an interesting version of Stras and Striped Forever which in the middle switched over to a very cool, jazzy/swing version of "Pachelbel's Canon" which most of us all yelled out "PHANTOM!" when we recognized it.

After the Commandant's Own the silent drill team performed which was amazing! bayonets and all.

Overall this was an AWESOME performance and i feel so lucky that they performed at MY school! I can't wait to see them on the road this summer. Maybe ill get to talk to the people i ment (Cavaliers bottom bass 2000 among others).

Thanks!

Moving to Reviews.

• 1 month later...

that sounds awesome! i have been to DC about 7 times now and have yet to see the USMC D&BC.......shucks.....someday i will catch them in action.

i have a question though.......so some of their members are in some dci corps or some of their staff used to march corps?...i would assume the second

that sounds awesome! i have been to DC about 7 times now and have yet to see the USMC D&BC.......shucks.....someday i will catch them in action.

i have a question though.......so some of their members are in some dci corps or some of their staff used to march corps?...i would assume the second

Many current and former USMC D&B members marched with DCI and/or DCA corps before joining the Marine Corps and after getting out of the Marine Corps.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep I met a few members who had marched corps. One of the pit members I talked to said there were many members from Crossmen and Cavaliers in the brassline.

I also talked to one of the bass drummers who also was top bass for Cavaliers 2000 and the top bass for the the USMCDBC was also top bass for SCV 2000.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to hear that at your age you appreciated the USMC D&BC. I always get a kick out of the people in the crowd who dog on them because they don't look like Chicago out there. Younger Drum Corps fans seem to not realize that these guys have an image and that they stick to that image regardless of whether it allows them to perform everything they are capable of performing. If they wanted to really let it rip, they could do even more damage.......especially their solotis. I personally love listenting to them and watching The Silent Drill Team. They are everything that is right with this country.

And many of the D&B's alumni members are currently members of DCA corps right now. I know April is at Briggs with some other Devil Dogs, I march with Cabs, are there any other 8th and I'ers out there? ^0^

I miss the corps alot and am grateful for the opportunity to have played there. The Marines really appreciate the love and respect that the public and especially the drum corps fans give to them.

Yes a good number of them have marched before in DCI. I remember serving with former members of Star, 27, and the Cadets(Garfield) just to name a few.

On the D&B deck bulkhead there is a mural with all the names of the alumni members who have served there. I'm proud to be on that wall. Semper Fi!

And many of the D&B's alumni members are currently members of DCA corps right now. I know April is at Briggs with some other Devil Dogs, I march with Cabs, are there any other 8th and I'ers out there? ^0^

I miss the corps alot and am grateful for the opportunity to have played there. The Marines really appreciate the love and respect that the public and especially the drum corps fans give to them.

Yes a good number of them have marched before in DCI. I remember serving with former members of Star, 27, and the Cadets(Garfield) just to name a few.

On the D&B deck bulkhead there is a mural with all the names of the alumni members who have served there. I'm proud to be on that wall. Semper Fi!

What he said, only LOUDER!!!!!

Hey Gene! I knew there were other marines out there. Gene was actually my last roomate in the coprs and his dad has been on the Cabs visual staff for some time now. Hope to see you soon pal come check us out!