Trumpet microphones

mrshowfan

I saw that picture of the BD alumni recording and it got me thinking about trumpet mics. I know in the recording they were using large (directional?) mics. But...

I am looking for a clip on mic for my horn. Does anyone have any experiences with trumpet clip on mics? Suggestions, advice?

Let me know if you have any ideas.

How 'bout a horn with a bigger bore?

Just kidding!

:D

man at first your topic title scared me...i was like uh trumpet mics....if a trumpet player needs mics they should not be playing trumpet. But then i saw recording and i said ok good. Go to either wwbw.com or musciansfriend.com the second site has a lot of options for mics. my preference is having a padded mic (the outer coating is a type of padding)

What you want is the Shure Beta 98 clip-on microphone. You can find more info on it here:

http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/beta98h.asp

I am the sound enigneer at work, and we use a set of these mics for the horn line in the rock band, and for soloists in other ensembles. Shure's products are excellent, durable, and easy to use. They are not cheap, but in the world of sound reinforcement, you get what you pay for (which the DCI corps are going to learn a lesson in this summer...but I digress).

Try to avoid wireless mics, as they are not dependable until you start spending serious money on UHF equipment. Also, get the preamp.

I've just used solo mics on a stand. I've never looked into clip on mics. A good solo mic seems to work just find, most professional studios just use a good solo mic in an isolated room.

I've just used solo mics on a stand.

I tend to move around when I am playing (especially if there are people dancing at a gig), which affects the level of sound that the mic picks up. I just want something that will stay on and I wont have to worry about drunks messing up a mic on a stand.

How bout this one?

http://www.sdsystems.com/

Its under LCM 77

the best place to ask someone about such a microphone would be www.sweetwater.com these guys are the people that the "big boys" go to with questions. The Sure Beta 98 h/c is a good way to go. I do believe that AKG and Audio Technica also make several products along the same lines.