Favorite Hornline Warmups

DrumCorps21

Hi everyone, I thought this would make for some interesting conversation. What are some of the best or most memorable warmups your honrline played when in the horn arc? There are lip slurs, articulation exercises, range exercises... lots of goodies out there. One of the best I've played personally... and I've played alot, was an articulation exercise. It begins on Middle C with staccato 1/8th notes( C G C E ) then staccato 1/4 notes( high G, low C C C ) then repeat ( C G C E G C C C ) and finally 1/8 notes again ( C G C E C G C E ) 1/4 note C. The everything repeats down the fingers like any good drum corps exercise.

--Miker

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite things to do in a parking lot is watch the Blue Devils warm-up. It's almost like the "show before the show", with all of their exercises and chords.

F-Tuning is one of my favorites to play, as long as it is really F-Tuning and not just F-Loud, F-Nasty or F-Annoying.

Hi everyone, I thought this would make for some interesting conversation.  What are some of the best or most memorable warmups your honrline played when in the horn arc?  

My favorite is a high C whole note. (just one) If we really must play multiple notes, throw in F-tuning for good measure.

Of course, the instructors always want to do more than that, and the d### sopranos complain about needing an hour to warm up... :P

What warm up did the Crossmen do in 1990?

I LOVED it!!!!

...and the d### sopranos complain about needing an hour to warm up... :P

The one hour soprano warm-up isn't so much for the chops as it is to loosen the arm muscles for the pressure about to be used! ;)^

Salvation.

Has anyone ever done a warmup called "space chords"? basically we start on a Bb major chord (you could probably start on any chord), and our brass tech (or whoever is warming us up) signals with his fists by pulling them apart and waving it across the arc.....as his fists pass each player, the chord splits and they break into an assigned note. The chord is basically a big dissonance. Then he will give us different signals quickly adjusting the dynamics of the chord. He will wave his hand across the arc, and as his hand passes, each player gets suddenly louder, then softer again. Or he will indicate for a certain section to get loud, then soft at different rates. The result is a really cool light sabre Star Wars sound effect type thing. Eventually we will resolve back into a Bb chord and continue with chord progressions of some sort. We don't get to do this often, but on occasion when we do, it sort of puts everyone in a good mood :D Though it might not be my favorite, it is certainly one of the more unique warmups I've ever played.

RK B)