Favorite Hornline Warmups

DrumCorps21

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most interesting tracking exercise I did, Concentration Exercise!!!

Other early 90's PR members know what Im talking about.

F-Major Scale played :

F......FG.....FGA.....FGABb......etc......

Not to hard at all. However if we messed up, we started all over again, and didnt stop marching until we got it right.

THEN, played only the first and last note of each series. Like so:

F......FG....F.(skip G).A......F..Bb.....F..C...F.......D...F........E....F..........FFCFAF

Not to hard individually, but with 70+ horns it can start to #### you off really fast at the lack of concentration of some individuals. Then people would get excited that we almost completed it, and lose concentration and brain fart. Only to follow with Grant Dawson and Cheif yelling "AGAIN!"

After about 45 minutes of continuous tracking we finally got it right.....thought we were going to lunch. Then we hear "NEXT TIME ON G MAJOR!!"

bummer.....

Dave Gilday

Phantom Regiment 98,99,00,01

F......FG....F.(skip G).A......F..Bb.....F..C...F.......D...F........E....F..........FFCFAF

Good god, this brings back horrific memories. We did this exericse with Dan Farrell in 1994, except we had to drop and do pushups each time there was a mistake. First 5 pushups, then 10, then 15, and etc... We got to around 40 before the exercise was performed correctly. By then most of the hornline had given up on pushups and were doing crunches. I think it was mostly high brass that were screwing it up, too, which didn't sit too well with us euphoniums. :blink:

Michael Oldemeyer

I really enjoyed Cavies warmup this year....All things bright and beautiful...brought back great memories.

Man, corps have the funnest warmups...

"Okay band, warmup number one!!!" (Bb concert scale)

Warmup #2! (the same thing in a round!!!)

Warmup #3 (Bb concert articulation)

Warmup #4 Play G (I'm using Bb trumpet notes here, so concert F) for four counts then go down one half-step. Rest four counts. G...go down whole step, and so on.

G, F#

G, F

G, E

G, Eb

G, D

G, Db

GGGGGGGGGGG!

We play as loud as possible (but most people forget the rest of the loud part) with the fullest sound possible. Of course, we're all high schoolers trying to outplay each other so it never quite works!

I want some cool warmups this year!

I do like our field warmup: Ave Maria. That's an awesome song.

Reason To Join Phantom (or any other DC) #16: Cool warmups

Good god, this brings back horrific memories. We did this exericse with Dan Farrell in 1994, except we had to drop and do pushups each time there was a mistake. First 5 pushups, then 10, then 15, and etc... We got to around 40 before the exercise was performed correctly. By then most of the hornline had given up on pushups and were doing crunches. I think it was mostly high brass that were screwing it up, too, which didn't sit too well with us euphoniums. :blink:

Michael Oldemeyer

Just got off the phone with a friend in PR this summer. He was telling me they did concentration exercise today while tracking on some hot asphalt. They were up to about 70 pushups and had to switch to situps after that.

Hot Asphalt + Lying on back = Neosporin!!!!

Lynkin, you sure you dont want to think this over????

Dave Gilday

Phantom Regiment 98,99,00,01

I loved how the Glassmen (why isn't that Gl***men on this forum?) in about '93 warmed up with a short version of Bach's Little Fugue. They left off the last resolving chord...! Then the judges were readied, the corps was introduced, the DM started them, and -- ahh! -- they resolved the chord! So satisfying!

Roger Grupp