Regrets, I Have a Few ...

As drum crops relates to life, I have 3 regrets that I consider frequently.

3) I regret not trying out for the Blue Devils in 1994. My best friend marched there and he had moved out to Cali for the spring. I was planning on marching with the Northmen and got a call from him in early April saying that they had had some sopranos back out and he had already talked to Wayne. If I could send an audition tape by the next day he'd look at me right away. Just wasn't in the cards financially at the time. But what a ride they went on that summer. More than any other corps (possibly from any other year) I felt as they walked on the field, every time I saw them, it was pretty obvious that they owned things that year.

2) I'm not happy with how things turned out for me in 1995 being with Madison. I had planned on doing the voluntary age out thing in 1994 and being on staff with the Northmen in 1995, so I hadn't done anything to keep my chops or body in shape. Then the Northmen folded, and I was lucky enough to be offered a spot in the Madison Scouts. However, physically I wasn't anywhere I needed to be, and that chipped away at me mentally as well. Then I had a persistant knee problem, likely generated from a lack of physical conditioning prior to jumping into learning Madison drill/Madison basics blocks. Eventually the pain was too much and I "quit". Ended up driving for the corps most of the summer. Had fun, made some friends, and learned a lot about drum corps and perspectives, but wish I could have marched.

1) If I were a smart person, I would have never had a break in marching after my inaugral summer of 1990 with the Colts. The teachings of Chuck Naffier and Jeff Bridges put me in good physical and great "chop" shape. My best endurance/high chops ever were the senior year in high school after I got back from Colts. I made the mistake of not telling my parents right off the bat that I was going back to marching, so they had different ideas for my next summer, and there was a HUGE shift in the Colts in the summer of 1991. When I came back in 1992, it was a completely different corps, and I had missed the transitional year. Just couldn't reconnect with them after that. But if I had stuck with it all the way through, I could have marched lead sop 1991-1995 with the Colts. That would have been some good stuff.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byline:

I think most of us that marched in drum corps have had this happen to us.

It hurts but only until you meet someone else.

We all survived it.

But ya I know, it still hurts...... :(

Yeah, it does. And the saddest part of it is, I always wanted to have that talk with him . . . but it's never gonna happen. He passed away in 1990. :(

Still, nearly 20 years after the crush and its aftermath, I met a pretty neat fellow, and we've been married almost seven years now. So things have a way of working out.

My regret was going to be that I never got to experience DCI finals. (unless you count Steel City doing exhibtion at 1990 finals in Buffalo).

I don't regret the corps I marched with, just the fact we never made finals. I think 23rd is the closest I got.

But after reading your post Byline, I have to say it was not pursuing the one true love of my life.

She was a real close friend in corps and high school. She was a trumpet/sop player. She played in Catholic Daughters of America D&B corps and was a soloist.

We even went together to finals in 1981 in Montreal.

I just never wanted to ruin the great relationship we had as friends. I would often wonder if she felt the same about me as I did her.

Years later I would out that she did.

Even though I am happily married with a great son, I still think about what could have been.

• 1 month later...

I regret not marching my age out year of 1988 with the Sky Ryders. I made it through the try outs with a real strong performance.

I was blessed by being in the right place, at exactly the right time. I joined the Blue Devils for the '74 season. This was the first time that Concord was in DCI finals. In '75, the landmark was in beating SCV for the first time ever (the two time reigning champs, althought they beat us in finals). I stayed through '77 which allowed me to know the top twice. By this time I had had knee surgery twice, and marching was, at best, a painful experience. I would not age out until '79 but chose not to march. It would have been nice to have earned yet a third ring, but I don't think it would have been physically enjoyable.

Just for grins, here is a photo just after the retreat announcements were complete at finals in '76.

http://www.bluedevils.org/programs/tty_gal...photo&year=1976

Click on this, and then click on the right picture. I'm the tallest baritone, between contras 2 and 3, just over the head of Winston Wong.

CBD would rise and rise fast, and I was allowed to share that with them. Incredible memories.

Edited by BD2Rings

Well, I guess I have one...

The first time I saw Suncoast was at a camp in the spring of 85. They were gods to me, a puny little CLARINET player at the time. The sounds they made, the drill they marched... I just KNEW that I had to do that some day. Well, in the next school year, schedule conflicts knocked me down to the starter-level band. I figured if I am stuck here, I would learn a brass instrument. I wanted to try french horn, but the band director needed a tuba. So, tuba it was. I marched sax in marching band and played tuba in concert band. By the way, back then I was about 5'5" and 135, soaking wet. As marching season wound down, corps season got in full swing, and I went to several of the 86 Suncoast camps, as a spectator only.

Larry Clark, DM at Suncoast in 85 and brass staff 86-87 was interning at my school, and came up to me at one camp and asked me to try to march that year. I looked at those guys and listened to what they were playing in 86 and figured that, as I had been playing the instrument for all of 4 months and had NEVER marched with one, there would be no way. I passed up the chance.

I did try out for, and make, the line the next year, but all you have to do is compare the 86 show to the 87 show and my regrets should be pretty obvious...