Age Limit ?

Should DCI raise the age limit?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI raise the age limit?

• Yes
    • NoAge:
    • Higher
    • none

Count me in on the "none" for no change. Being able to spend your summer marching Jr. Corps seems like an excuse to not have to totally join the real world. Would your family really be able to do without the income all summer? Car payments, house payments, feeding little Johny and Suzie, utilities....they all add up- and it'd be darned hard to do it while away playing all summer. (And that's assuming your spouse would like the feeling of being a Navy spouse every summer.)

Being that we have a circuit specifically designed for an ageless society (DCA), I don't think DCI should raise the age limit at all. 21 is a good number.

Sorry for the confusion. No age was suppose to read NO.

Just a quick personal note: Where theres a will theres a way. The director as well as the staff of Avant Garde toured all summer long with the corps and none of them were paid for their services and yet still maintained their "REAL WORLD" life. "Do not doubt what you haven't tried" I am sure that it would still be a small percentage that would march. Yet, shouldn't they have the right to march with the corps. that they want? the one that they are loyal too? Instead of saying "sorry, your of no use to us anymore" If you had the choice between senior and Jr, which would you march with? I have marched with both. The talent level is the same, but not the atmosphere. Nothing can replace the excitment that Jr. corps. offers. Just my opinion. Tell me what your heart thinks, not what DCI has conditioned us to believe.

By the way there might be alot more corps. around in this case and that 17 year old might find it easier. Not everyone that could march,, would march! This fact even goes for the ones that CAN march now within the age limit. Some get it into their head that they have out grown the activity. right?

Edited by BariBrian

How is a 17 year old high school kid supposed to fight for a spot with someone who has a Master's Degree in Trumpet Performance?

Like that person would really be marching??

You'd be surprised- I know lots of folks that I went to college with who have Master's Degrees in Performance and would give anything in the world to march in a Junior Drum Corps again...