What mouthpiece do you play?

spitvalve

I have two for my soprano, a Bach 1 and Bach 1 1/2 CW.

I love them both. If I'm going to be playing a lot at rehearsal I'll go with the 1 1/2 CW.

If I'm just practicing at home for an hour or so I'll use my 1.

For my trumpet, I don't know yet. I just bought one (trumpet) to fool around with and I haven't quite found what I like. I should put the trumpet down until the season's over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For trombone playing, I play on a Greg Black/Joe Alessi 5.5 Medium weight. (I am considering switching to the 3.5). I have played nearly every trombone mouthpiece made, and these mouthpieces just get the best results. They cost a good deal more than most mouthpieces running in the area of $145 each, but it's really worth it for what you get out of them.

Generally, I like for the line to play the same mouthpiece for intonation, and tone matching reasons, but if someone feels uncomfortable on something, and/or plays a mouthpiece that works well with what we are doing on the field that doesnt bother me. For instance, we have a euphonium player who plays bass trombone in the off season and sounded great with his Bach 1 1/2G so I let him play on that in the line.

At Court of Honor, most of the line are on the following mouthpieces:

Trumpets: UMI 3C CKB

Mellophones: UMI 6V

Baritones: UMI 4G

Euphoniums: Bach Megatone 3G (custom)

Tubas: UMI Helleberg

Edited by L2COH

I just purchased a gold Mike Finn MF1 Heavyweight mouthpiece for my Contra. I find that my range is better and my flexibility has improve dramatically over my Schilke Helleburg II. My low end range is much stronger as well.

1. Trumpet- Bach 3c

2. choice. I've been through some mouthpieces. I switched to a 3c from the stock 7c that came w/ my student yamaha early in high school. When I started senior corps, I took to the Kanstul cg3 which I still think is a great mouthpiece, especially for outdoor applications. A year or two ago, I delved into schilkes and decided a 14b was best for me. When I found out I was going to be playing 3rd at crossmen last year and didn't need to play above the staff much, I went back to the 3c after I got called out for having bright tone all the time. The 3c made most of the brightness go away, especially in the middle to lower register. After day after day all summer on the 3c, it is once again my most comfortable mouthpiece, although, once again, my parts this summer hardly require me to go above the staff. If they did, I'd probably consider going back to the schilke. I'm currently thinking of picking up a 3cw (wide rim) to kick up my endurance a bit.

I play on a Bach 3cw,it's a little more forgiving on the the chops.

I also used a CG3 but was just the opposite,I loved it for the concert stuff but had a hard time playing on it while doing drill.

Soprano (back when I marched) - Bach 1 1/2C (On lead, nontheless)

Trumpet - Bach 1 Megatone gold plated

Wewere never forced to use a particular mpc. However, I start all of my trumpet players on a 3C in beginning band and most of my HS players are on 1 1/2C with a few on 1's.

I play on a Claude Gordon Personal (on my Selmer Claude Gordon Trumpet - 470mm bore)

Rim shape is the same as CG Benge mouthpieces (i.e. narrow, rounded, and tapered on the outside) with an inside diameter of 17.5 mm, Deep V Cup, #22 drill throat size (My trumpet teacher, Jeff Purtle, drilled mine out to #20 like Claude often did for his students.) and a back bore similar to a Schmidt or Bach 117. This all results in a free blowing mouthpiece that helps to produce a full sound in all registers. I use this mouthpiece for everything (lead trumpet in our Big band, in our Brass Quintet, Ceremonial band and everywhere else). I'm glad (and fortunate) my mouthpiece search ended when I was 19. I love it!

Edited by hammondbrass

Alto trombone: Bach 7C or 12C

Jazz trombone: Bach 7C

(Classical) Tenor trombone: Schilke 51

Bass trombone: Schilke 57

On Tuesdays for a semester last year, I had wind ensemble where I played the tenor from 11:30 to 1, then jazz ensemble where I played the jazz horn from 1:30 to 2:45, then a lesson from 3:15 to 4 (all tenor), then trombone choir where I played alto and tenor from 4 until 5. Thursdays were the same except without the lesson or trombone choir.

Guest mafields627
Soprano (back when I marched) - Bach 1 1/2C (On lead, nontheless)

Trumpet - Bach 1 Megatone gold plated

Wewere never forced to use a particular mpc. However, I start all of my trumpet players on a 3C in beginning band and most of my HS players are on 1 1/2C with a few on 1's.

Is there any particular reason you're switching our HS players to the larger pieces? Also, have you found that any that have changed couldn't handle the larger size?