What mouthpiece do you play?

spitvalve

i've played the 3c since my junior year in high school and i perfer that to the 6. the tone seems a bit darker, and it doesn't take away from my high range like the 6.

uhhh...i can play an upper E on a 6V on a G mello...higher than i could play when i used to use a 3C, but that could have something to do with the fact that i only played on a 3c for the first 6 months that i played mello...but, i think that the tone produced by a 3c is too much like that of a trumpet...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use two different "pieces of the mouth" for Trumpet and G bugle playing.

1-Warburton, 4M cup, 12 backbore

I used this one primarily for jazz band, pep band, and finally used it with my bugle at Crossmen in 2001. The 4M cup is slightly smaller than a 3C, but the backbore is an orchestral backbore that lets me tank up and really blow the house down. Prior to 2001, I used a CG3 mouthpiece for drum corps and the like. It was alright, but I prefer the feel of the Warburton and use it frequently!

2-Bach 1 1/2 C

This is the piece I use when I'm playing my Bb and C trumpets. This is a mouthpiece that is best used when you're playing all of the time. If I take a break or don't touch the horn for a while, it absolutely destroys my muscles by about 10 minutes. If that's the case, I generally use a Schilke 15 or 15 B.

I also found a use for my Schilke 14A4A, in the Stomvi Piccolo I use.

• 2 weeks later...

On Soprano I play(ed) a schilke 15A4A for lead playing.

For my proressional trumpet playing I play on a PARKE 3 piece mouthpiece. Rim is a Bach 1 with a Bach 1B cup and a stem with a 24 backbore. All are interchangeable with Warburton mouthpieces. I tend to change backbores when I am playing pops concerts that require lots of high note playing without sacrificing tone quality.

http://www.parke.net

I played on a Parke as well. It was a Vincent Dimartino model cup with a Warburton KT Backbore. It had the most comfortable rim I ever put my lips on.

I play on a Shilke 15B... I used to play on a 3C, but I feel that I can blow out alot more on the 15B, and that it gives me a darker tone, more room to work with in the mouthpiece. I also have a 14A4A.... collecting dust in my room.... I can't stand to play that shallow thing! I like to play high, but I can play higher much stronger on the 15B than I can sqeak out sharply on a cheater. Thinkin about getting a 1 1/2 C as well. :silly: