With All The New Things DCI is Doing....

Why were shows shortened in the first place?? Being not around drum corps for a

while I'm a lot out of the loop in that respect.  Why have concerts again? Were they not put in so the corps could show off their more talented members and just have a good time without having to worry about trying to hit that high note while marching at full speed. Why not bring it back with the prevision that the corps could have some movement in that time as well.

Hey DCI, WHY NOT.  :yeah!:

...because the DCI-Bando types think that constant movement is more entertaining, frankly I dont think they ever bothered to ask an audience......you gotta remember these are the same freaks that think playing music nobodys ever heard of before is good, too...

Bill

Music and movement is what makes Drum Corps great, IMO. There are only a very few concerts I ever liked in my era of marching and teaching.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never understood why they did away with it. It was a great showcase for musicianship.

The "concert" was really a device to avoid ticks. Corps were ticked for the first 11 1/2 minutes of the show where a minimum 8 1/2 had to be in motion. So corps stood still for as close to 3 minutes as possible. Stop time was recorded by the T&P judge and any single individual standing still counted as stop time, thus corps either marched or stood at attention. The concert was employed to minimize marching ticks and of course, make a musical feature. With the end of execution and penalities, the concert faded away.

Today corps do stand and play, but in smaller chunks. Usually the big impacts in the ballad are the major non-motion moments. With more emphasis on content/demand/difficulty, corps tend to move more and mostly stop within segements (snare, soprano) to feature sections rather than the entire ensemble.

If you watch closely, you can see some corps make great use of "park and blow" to minimize movement demand where musical challenges are high.

Thanks for the lesson Jeff but I did march in the days of ticks and inspections believe it or not. So I understood why they did concerts, I was just curious as to why they didn't keep it and perhaps liven it up a bit.