Waukesha May 2nd.......

For the second year in a row, Pioneer and Kilties kicked off the season in Waukesha at the spring version of the Shamrock Festival of Music.

Before I get to them...there were other acts.

I didn't get to see Waukesha South Jazz Band.....

The first group I did see was a group called "Oma Ana, Children of the Spirit of the Drum." They are an African drummer group under the direction of drum corps icon Dr. Cecil Austin. I guess they were good as I haven't seen anything like them before....good job by the two dancers too.

Then came the Waukesha South's Blackshirt Marching Band drumline, under the direction of former Kiltie Music Director Guy Kammerer. Full drumline...battery and pit....and they played Mars from The Planets. Was quite interesting how they interpeted it....well done.

Next was the Scream'n Eagle drum line from John Marshall High School in Milwaukee....they were excellent!!! No pit, just battery of 5 snares, one quad and three bass drums. They put on a very entertaining show....great stick work by the snares.....very impressive!

Then came the Kilties. They were led onto the stage by a lone piper. We did that at the South Milwaukee show last year, and it is just a way cool way of coming onto the field or stage.

The Kilties did their complete show, without music....and it was very good, much better than last year! The only problem was not hearing the baritones as much as they should have been...but three were missing....and...they picked up three more just yesterday.

It's going to be a very good show! The opening of Scotland the Brave is a bit different, yet traditional. I just love Claire in Heaven as an opener. It features some wicked mellophone work!!! What a line..the only section of the corps that is all veterans! In fact, they're featured a lot throughout the entire show!

Mambo Italiano/Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing is just darn fun all the way through. A great Chris Thompson written and taught drum solo breaks the piece apart into two halves with Mambo the first and Thing the second. Although I've played Latin style with the Kilts...it still looks somehow weird seeing them play Latin! But it sold and the crowd loved it!

Danny Boy is the closer....and it's unlike any arrangement of it that you've heard. Jerry Kelsey has written some really cool chord structures in it....just kinda makes you tingle! At the soft ending, after the big, and LOUD push, a lone soprano plays the famous bugle call into Auld Lang Syne.

This is going to be a much improved corps this year...they are far ahead of last year, actually they're further ahead than the last few years at this time.

Pioneer....they have improved greatly over last year at this show. The show is called "Return to Ireland." It features music by Robert W. Smith....and I have to admit, I usually don't like his compositions, but this one I do.

The opener of By Loch & Mountain features some pretty solid horn work, especially from the mellophones. And, for good measure, The Irish Washer Woman is heard in the piece as well.

The ballad, Ireland: Of Legend & Lore is a lovely piece.

The rest of the show is music from Lord of the Dance and Riverdance, both excellent Pioneer material.

Pioneer's hornline, while not as strong and mature sounding as the Kilties, is still quite improved over last year. The drumline is excellent.

These are the two corps who will be doing clinics in DeKalb on July 10th. The Kilties hornline and Pioneer's drumline will be hosting clinics in Huskie Stadium....going to be fun!

The Kilties and Pioneer have established a good relationship over the winter. They'll be holding a family day together in June and are in quite a few shows together.

Overall, expect very much improved corps from both Pioneer and Kilties this summer!

Edited by FrankBeMe

Good morning!

Saw Serenade in Brass on the East. (Cabs).

Saw Loud Music Symposium on the West (Renegades).

Saw Pioneer Open House in the Midwest. (Kilties).

Opinion?

The level of corps on the DCA stage this year

is phenomenal! The talent, the arrangements,

the sheer performance... it's gonna be a year

to remember.

As for the show yesterday...we ended up in Racine...

oops...and hence were late for the first part of

the show (drumlines).

Kilties were up first up after the break. No new

unis but an interesting pit guy swimming in his

red jacket. (Someone belt that man...literally

around his waist!) Let's look at notes: (These

will be brief as the real review will be found in

the pages of Drum Corps World!)

- Honor Guard! Love seeing this! Especially

effective during Auld Lang Syne at the end

with the American flag raised up.

- DCP/DCW writer Stef K. was AMAZING in the

pit. She's on keyboard this year - oh and all

sorts of Latin shakers. Don't miss her mambo

dance (OK the whole pit's supposed to dance

but Simon picks her as the clear champ. ;)

- Also enjoyed the in/out with bagpipes.

OK, so I'm a Highlander from Granada Hills

High School.

- Heard around the theatre: Kilties have

rarely sounded so good so early. I have

never seen them early to know - but that

was the buzz!

Pioneer up next:

- One word - SEVEN. I kid you not, 7 cymbals!

- Traditional Irish music, but wonderfully

arranged. Powerful bold opening statement.

- Sweet ballad with mello solo for the second tune.

- I called the pit/battery break "a jolly fling".

What is that song called? Snares have a

courageous stick flip.

- Extra treat? What appears to be their parade

tune, "Gary Owen March."

The show ended with a mass brass of "America".

Call it a Celtic Combo of Irish and Scottish-

based corps making a patriotic statement.

Thanks to all for creating an enjoyable afternoon.

DeMAV...wearing her Renegade jacket and

making whooping noises when they announced

our presence at the DeKalb show in July!

I wish They would have done the closer for you guys yesterday, it's awesome! I know I don't know everything about music and that, hence why I am in the guard, but from listening the night before while they were practicing, it was awesome!

This may sound funny but Saturday night was the first time the guard got to listen to our whole show and we were all like OMG!! They ended and all our mouths were hanging open, it was great.

Yeah! When is the video link going to be put up?

Don't know about vids, but there are some nice pics on the Pioneer web site.

And a really cool picture of the corps here

I don't know if there's going to be a video....but I do know that I'll be sent something to put up on the website from that show. When I'll get it, I don't know, but it should be soon. :)