Fund Raisers

Avant Garde always had a Haunted House at Halloween Time and everyone really got into it. The local mall would donate an empty store and all proceeds went to the corps. It was a lot of fun and very successful. With corps trying to raise money all the time, maybe we should share our experience's.

What way worked for your corps?

:judge: Krispy Kream!!!!! Love em, but if I had them back in the day, I wouldn't have been able to march, LOL

The kids now days would laugh if they knew how little our dues and tour fees were "back in the day." I believe our dues were $100.00 and both tours were $300.00....of course our buses weren't equipped with A/C and TV Monitors either......just boom boxes with speakers wired all over the bus. :P

Our bus was known as the "disco bus".....we would flicker our reading lights on and off to the beat of the music. ^OO^

We did walk-a-thons. All the corps in KW would be doing this at the same time (at one time there was at least 4 corps). One year, I was asked if I would mind walking with Davy, a young lad with Dutch Boys, who happened to have 2 artifical legs, and another young lad, who'se sister marched with DB as well, who happened to be blind. I was game to the challenge, and off we went. After about 10 miles into the 25 mile walk, Davy was starting to get tired, and asked if i would piggy back him for a bit. We stopped, and Davy hopped onto my back, while the other young lad was holding lightly onto my arm. Well, things got tangled up a bit, and Davy's legs came loose. He shouted" Sue, my legs fell off!" as they both thumped onto the ground. It took me 10 minutes to calm down the young blind boy, trying to convince him that Davy was ok and that the legs he were refering to were artifical. :silly:

yes I do... but are you following me again, Rob? My hubby is gonna get suspicious.... b**bs

We had a raffle were the winner got a concert performance in their yard by the corps.

Also had a mini car grand prix in downtown canton, and the corps performed a standstill between the preliminary heats and the final race. Companies would outfit a mini race car and buy an entry fee to participate. their was even a drivers party the night before.

We also did tag days where you basically stood outside a grocery store and begged for money. the top money earner got their tour fees for free. Me and another guy were neck and neck going into the final tally in 1984 and we chose to split the prize and we each got half our tour fees for free that year.