Review--Hastings, MN 6/30/02

What can you say when it’s 97 degrees with a 72 dew point? WOW, that’s HOT, MAN!!

We’re in beautiful, historic Hastings Minnesota at the recently renovated Todd Field. 20 rows of wonderfully crafted metal benches and no seat cushions. Comfy! I’m 19 rows up on the 35 yard line, sweating like a pig, and drinking lots of water. Pretty picture, eh?

As this is my first review for the venerable DCP, I am not responsible for its content, up to and including, spelling, grammar, or opinions! Also, as I’m a former Baritone player please don’t expect that I saw everything; I did try halfheartedly to watch other sections, however.

RACINE SCOUTS—35.70

For this small corps their M&M was good but they need work on horns (10) and percussion. There was also some nice solo work including a Baritone player that did a Mellophone solo. Very nice.

CHOPS, INC.—45.05

Well folks, they finally got rid of the shorts, the loud shirts, the funny hats, and the red sneakers! Okay, all except for their drum major who actually wore a Zoot Suit with, you guessed it, red sneakers. The new uniform is more cadet style with an almost maroon accent. A very different look but they seemed to keep most of the “fun” in tact. Lot’s of clowning around out there. Horn line needs to project more, percussion was OK, and guard looked good. They setup 3 large tables on the field they used to highlight individuals from all sections. For the most part, it worked.

GOVENAIRES, SR---50.00

What can you say about the oldest Senior Corps in existence? I’m not sure but their drum major made sure we knew it before the show started. Nice rapport with the audience and not a bad show. I only wish I could remember some of it and that may be the problem.

BLUE STARS---58.65

Like the “Jewish Trilogy” thing they have going. Brings me back to the old days when they were among the elite. This drum line is almost big corps size and is clean as h###. Most impressive! Horn line is pretty good for as small as they are. Guard work was there too.

CAPITAL SOUND—59.50

Only a point higher than the Blue Stars, this much larger corps has a lot of cleaning to do. Not a bad sound though. Being under the “Madison” banner can’t be all bad. 40 horns or so strong, their M&M isn’t bad. If they can clean the rest, they’ll do well.

MINNESOTA BRASS, SR—69.40

WOW! The loudest of the evening! Of course, the 65 person horn line didn’t hurt. Or maybe it did!! Their was actually one point during the show where the Sop/Trumpet soloist hit a note, I swear doesn’t exist, it’s that high. Anyway, percussion was good and the Guard was OK, but small. The new uniform is very BD like but a much more professional look than they’ve had in the past. I think it helps them in how they carry themselves on the field, much better overall.

PHANTOM REGIMENT—79.55

Run Run Run! This is by far, the fastest Regiment I’ve ever seen. And they play at the same time, cool. This is a nice show, my favorite low brass line in the world is still there but they have managed to get all sections some nice licks. Like the Guard uni’s too with the bright red. Hot! I think with more clean up, especially in M&M and this is a top 6 corps. Hope they can do it!

CAVALIERS—85.05

An 85? I’m not sure about that folks. Yes, this is a beautifully played and marched show but it ain’t THAT clean! In fact, one horn player had a nasty wipe out on the field, managed to get back in and complete the show, but was taken away in an ambulance after. Weird! This totally original show does have it’s moments, it’s definitely “pretty” but it’s also “easy”, at least from the horn book standpoint. I guess we’ll see. The Green Machine looks to be one to beat for the title in Madison.

The RiverRat

:D

well, despite some one elses view, I thank you for the review. I use to live in Lakeview, and loved to go down to Hastings show. I was also upset to hear that the Cavies stayed in Apple Valley HS too...oh well. 1 week until DCM!!!!

I will only add my comments to the top three:

Minnesota Brass Inc---

You know, these guys get more fun to watch every year as they amazingly get better every year. This was a great show all around. The new uniforms look great (but they need gauntlets darnit!) and give the corps a look of confidence and determination. This is also the first year of Euphoniums in the hornline, and you could hear them (Way to go Euphs!). The hornline is solid with 65 members, and Roger Grupp's solos were up in the stratosphere as usual. It was nice to hear a good low brass solo with Mark Santori. I miss marching with these guys...maybe next year....

Phantom Regiment---

I will admit that I was worried about these guys. There was a big change to the music--namely a new brass arranger--JD Shaw. I marched with JD (he went by Jeff then) in 1991's "Phantom Voices" show so I should have realized he wouldn't try to change the trademark sound of the corps. My mistake. This was a classic Regiment sound with more low brass than you could imagine--it was music to my ears! The thing missing from this show---GE. It was well played by both the hornline and drumline and the drill was decent, but there were very few spots in the show that made you go---"Wow--that was cool." Don't get me wrong--I loved the show, and I'm excited to see them doing well again after struggling for a few years.

Cavaliers----

Cavies, on the other hand, were just dripping with GE. It seems that about every 15 seconds I was muttering, "Wow that was cool!" This show has it all right now---great drum moments, great horn moments, great colorguard moments, and great drill moments. My only surprise was that there was some pretty dirty drill in spots that were showcasing the drill. Did they deserve to beat Phantom Regiment? Absolutely. Did they deserve an 85? I thought it was a little high, but hey--I'm just an audience member these days, not a judge! I think they will win DCI if they can continue to improve.

Matt

Thanks Matt!!!! I wish I could have been there like the past 4 years....

well, despite some one elses view, I thank you for the review.  I use to live in Lakeview, and loved to go down to Hastings show.  I was also upset to hear that the Cavies stayed in Apple Valley HS too...oh well.  1 week until DCM!!!!

Oh, they stayed in that s###hole, my alma mater! I remember when the carpet was this pukey orange color!

Funny they should stay at Apple Valley H.S. instead of Eastview. If they were to do a clinic, I think Eastview would find it more "useful" unless Apple Valley's marching band is going all "competitive field show" on us, now. They always sucked ###. Never spent much time with the marching band aspect of the band program there though the band program overall is very good. Jazz ensemble went to Montreux a few years ago.

Funny they should stay at Apple Valley H.S. instead of Eastview. If they were to do a clinic, I think Eastview would find it more "useful" unless Apple Valley's marching band is going all "competitive field show" on us, now.

They couldn't stay at Eastview---Phantom Regiment was staying there. There's an old Regiment instructor (one of mine, so not That old) who is a band director at Eastview. He hooked em up.

Thanks Matt!!!! I wish I could have been there like the past 4 years....

You missed a good one Sluggo--the stands were packed...I had a lot of fun.

Minnesota Brass Inc---

You know, these guys get more fun to watch every year as they amazingly get better every year.  This was a great show all around.  The new uniforms look great (but they need gauntlets darnit!) and give the corps a look of confidence and determination.  This is also the first year of Euphoniums in the hornline, and you could hear them (Way to go Euphs!).

Thanks, dude. We've got three other really strong players on euph, in addition to myself. I'm glad the sound is cutting through the hornline. And there will be a spot for you in the hornline whenever you want it! :D

I agree about the guantlets, too.

Michael Oldemeyer

Thanks, dude. We've got three other really strong players on euph, in addition to myself. I'm glad the sound is cutting through the hornline. And there will be a spot for you in the hornline whenever you want it! :D

I agree about the guantlets, too.

Michael Oldemeyer

I'm not sure when I'm coming back, but I AM coming back. I've just got to get these kids of mine a few years older. :D Make sure you give Aaron Fisher a bad time for me...he and I went to high school together and marched Phantom Regiment together.....