Elvin Jones died last week

RobH

Arguably the most influential jazz drummer of the past 40 years, having played with Miles and a ton of other heavyweights, Elvin died at 76 in NYC.

Every single drummer of the past 40 years has been seriously influenced by Elvin, yet there hasn't been a single post at DCP on his death.

I'm just dumbfounded...............

You know,

I talk to a lot of drummers, and there are many who don't even know who that is. I am sad that I never got to see him play live. Elvin (drum corps fan by the way) WE WILL MISS YOU.

Elvin was the man...one month before his death, I understand that he went up on stage and played his usual set, sick as he was, with an oxygen tank. The man had music and rhythm in his blood--he couldn't help but do what he loved all the way up to the end. He was in a lot of pain, no doubt, but now he'll have peace. Joining that big jam session in the sky.

If you get the chance to see these guys live...you've gotta do it. Jazz deserves to be seen live...it's on the bandstand that legends are made, and in the case of people like Elvin, remade every night they hit the stage. Some of the "giants" are getting pretty old...but you can still see them! And they are still amazing!

I didn't post here about it because I told a couple of people when I found out, and nobody knew who he was. Glad to see people know here.

:)

I had the pleasure and privilege to watch Elvin play at the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach back in 78, shook his hand and didn't wash it for a week! He was so great - a typical jazz guy - laid back, friendly, and man, that drumming skill and emotion!

Concur, festive, there's NOTHING like a live jazz gig - that's when you see the SOUL of a real musician - something that doesn't get captured in a recording!

It was a blessing to have seen Buddy Rich, Stan Kenton, Count Basie, Billy Cobham, Dave Brubeck, Elvin, Ellington, Maynard, Gary Burton, and Woody Herman live - today's pop stars don't hold a candle to these giants of music!

now this is a huge loss for the drumming community.

WOW I didnt hear this....very sad