this weekend i saw both cali corps

So this weekend i had the chance to see both The Blue devils and the Santa clara vanguard.

Saturday was Blue devil family day. this was also the day of the big uniform reveal. Um ya....

Im not a big fan of the new Jackets....but the pinstripe pants are very cool! (i like the bdb uniform a whole lot) The show was ok. Nothing to amazing to be honest. like last year at this time i was completley blown away. but this program just dosent grab me. It has a few bright moments though. There is nothing visually that made me go "ooooh". Maybe its just my opinion and i know there are people out there that love the show.

on the other hand!

SCV BLEW ME AWAY! what power!. The opener alone would leave me satisfied for days. All the solos, trios, and ensemble work were so well played. and they were sooo loud!!! as always the drumline was phenominal and the cymbal line is a show on their own. Visual was really well done. And when the guard is completley done with uniforms and other work, i think the story will be very well told. they really do bring back the sound from the late 80's.

It was pretty unanomous with all the people around me, that SCV Was definitly the top choice of the weekend.

SCV BLEW ME AWAY! what power!. The opener alone would leave me satisfied for days. All the solos, trios, and ensemble work were so well played. and they were sooo loud!!! as always the drumline was phenominal and the cymbal line is a show on their own. Visual was really well done. And when the guard is completley done with uniforms and other work, i think the story will be very well told. they really do bring back the sound from the late 80's.

It was pretty unanomous with all the people around me, that SCV Was definitly the top choice of the weekend.

Heh.... Gino strikes again!

Trevor nailed it! I couldn't agree more B)

Good morning:

Agreed that this season is going to be close between the

two corps. BD's show with the train motif is great and

SCV embracing the Russian music - even though this is

the first time they're playing this (right?) - seems to

bring them into a familiar and welcoming element.

In their favor, SCV had a complete show. They played

"Adagio" as the warm-up, "THE BOTTLE DANCE" (!) and

even "Send in the Clowns". Plus I must admit I've never

seen more intense cymbal players...ever.

And a little note...I seemed to get deja vu from '81.

Back then, BD had just got new uniforms too. And

SCV came on like a powerhouse from the get-go at

the evaluation show. (Anyone remember those?)

Curious to see how this works out!

MAV

It was pretty unanimous with all the people around me, that SCV was definitly the top choice of the weekend.

I got the same feeling from talking to a few folks. Unfortunately, I did not see both shows so I can't do a direct comparison myself.

I left the SCV performance feeling very good about their show this year! There were a lot of great impact points, and overall the ensemble sounded fantastic. There were quite a few VERY LOUD moments that gave me goosebumps, and that reminded me a lot of what made me love drum corps as an impressionable teenager. I was also happy to see a few of the "kids" I marched with in the TOR parade earlier this year. It's nice to have this quasi connection with the corps, especially since many of us listened to early arrangements played in Pasadena. It's nice to be able to watch the show progress so nicely.

They warmed up with the same chord progression posted online earlier in the season - the one that sounds a little like Adagio (but isn't). They were facing backfield but it sounded pretty full. I counted 60 horns and Rick made mention that those holes would be filled this week. Hopefully those go right to baris(17) and/or contras(8). (Yes, I know they are tubas but I refuse to acknowledge that...) Except for 1-2 solos that needed a bit of work, I really liked how the solos/duets/trios fit into the show. Then they smack you in the face with the entire ensemble... WOW! Awesome, just plain awesome.

:blink:

Overall, this was a thoroughly enjoyable show that the audience will "get" in the first viewing. Great job SCV!! B)

I wasn't able to catch SCV but all I have heard from friends is great things. I did however have the chance to check out BD with the rest of my Renegade buddies and I must say...it's a go grab a hot dog and coke kind of show. The visual design reminded me of watching a high school marching band. I was very dissappointed and certainly hope that they rewrite the remainder of the show as many times as they wrote the opener.

I wasn't able to catch SCV but all I have heard from friends is great things. I did however have the chance to check out BD with the rest of my Renegade buddies and I must say...it's a go grab a hot dog and coke kind of show. The visual design reminded me of watching a high school marching band. I was very dissappointed and certainly hope that they rewrite the remainder of the show as many times as they wrote the opener.

Gosh...one of the few negative reviews of a Blue Devils show I have heard in awhile. I don't remember any last year, as they were highly praised the whole season...for whatever this is worth. :blink:

Gosh...one of the few negative reviews of a Blue Devils show I have heard in awhile. I don't remember any last year, as they were highly praised the whole season...for whatever this is worth. :blink:

Well being a die hard devil fan and knowing what they are capable of...this was very dissappointing show and I know I am not the only one that feels that way. I heard worse comments after the show from other spectators.

well they got a whole lotta praise last year and look what happened! they got rings that covered 3 fingers!!!

in all seriousness though, the kids in devs are doing the best with what they have been given. just the show itself is kinda blah. now who knows, they might do like 2002 (?) and change the show completley through out the season.