Star 1993 vs AMPS of today...

Neither Star or its staff brok the rules or petitioned to alter the rules...their highly creative staff took the paramters of exisiting drum corps and PUSHED THEM TO NEW LIMITS within those said existing paramters...its called brilliance.

Controversial, for the time ?? you bet..and many would have expressed "disdain" but that would have been a matter of taste.....and not a cry afoul over the destruction of drum corps......star of Indiana was a drum and bugle corps and helped to push the activity...not destroy it.

~G~

Neither Star or its staff brok the rules or petitioned to alter the rules...their highly creative staff took the paramters of exisiting drum corps and PUSHED THEM TO NEW LIMITS within those said existing paramters...its called brilliance.

Controversial, for the time ?? you bet..and many would have expressed "disdain" but that would have been a matter of taste.....and not a cry afoul over the destruction of drum corps......star of Indiana was a drum and bugle corps and helped to push the activity...not destroy it.

~G~

Exactumundo.

Yeah, except where we payed that huge sum of money to place second in 1993.........DOH! That would have been against the DCI by-laws......

:P

Edited by WoobieATL

(Just for the #### of it, anyone out there want to put on the tinfoil hat and blame Star of Indiana for the amps and electronics rule passing?

Heh.

That's what I thought.)

Anyway, moving on to the thread topic...Trying to use Star 1993 to illustrate your point fails for a variety of reasons:

It's hypothetical, for one.

But moreover, I see where you're going with this. Trying to compare a show that wasn't "liked" at the time to the criticism the BAC and Crown are facing now, and equivocating the two as us "not being ready".

I think that's really a stretch.

The death knell of drum corps as it "was" is upon us, regardless. I have truly become old hat in this activity now, I suppose.

There will be no rescinding of the A&E rule, and we all know it deep down.

So make your peace, so to speak, with what came before. It won't be coming back.

We can only hope that the new shows don't become totally dependent on something other than the drums and bugles that got them to this point in the first place.

Am I ready to chuck it all, and quit with drum corps? Not yet. Crown seems to have at least made an effort to incorporate A&E into a show, rather than have it in a sense, be the show.

I just fear that with this new crutch...and it can be used a crutch, make no mistake... 2005 and 2006 will give us a Top 12 that looks like BOA Grand Nationals.

That won't be my activity any more.