Star 1993 vs AMPS of today...

(Just for the #### of it, anyone out there want to put on the tinfoil hat and blame Star of Indiana for the amps and electronics rule passing?

The difference (and bright spot) of the Star example in drum corps is that unlike Hopkins et al, when they found themselves drawn to a completely new way of performing, they simply left drum corps instead of trying to drag the activity along with it.

New way of performing Dan ??? How so ?? Everything they did were within the rules of Drum corps......care to elaborate ??

~G~

Dan, I believe, is referring to Brass Theater and Blast, not the 93 Star show itself.

By the way, Dan looks svelte in plaid, doesn't he? :P

New way of performing Dan ??? How so ?? Everything they did were within the rules of Drum corps......care to elaborate ??

~G~

Dan, I believe, is referring to Brass Theater and Blast, not the 93 Star show itself.

By the way, Dan looks svelte in plaid, doesn't he? :P

Yes Kevin thats what I was referring to. Star was "street legal" when they were marching as far as I recall.

Well you know I joined Kilties because all the chicks swoon when they see the Kilt. Ive already got Bonnie on rubberleg street! B)

Edited by dans24103

You mean you didn't before??? :o

• 2 weeks later...

I think a big difference between the two is that even with the internet, you pretty much have to attend a show before you can form an opinion of it (well, unless you have one of those uh hmm bootlegged MP3s). Yes, I do think there would be "I hate Star" threads even before the season started, but they would not be able to comment on the show itself without giving it a viewing first.

I guess what I'm trying to say is your anology would work better if you asked if we thought there would be "I hate Star '93" threads right after our show concept was announced but before anyone had viewed it.

I think a better anology might be to ask if there would be "hate threads" all over the place after pit percussion was legalized. I'm sure there were some old farts that hated this idea.

On a side note, I didn't like the idea of amps. I've never witnessed amps on the field (never been to BOA) and was very pleased with how they were used at the Houston show today. I witnessed about 30 minutes of Cavaliers practice today before I realized the pit was amped. The most pleasant thing is that now the performers don't have to bang on the instruments in an uncharacteristic manner in order to project (especially in the lower register and for marimbas).