Memphis Show - A New Kind of Review

Disclaimer: I am a Rookie Phantom Guard Mom with nothing but marching band experience prior to this summer. These are my thoughts and opinions and DEFINATELY not that of anyone important.

Venue

Very nice, new Desoto Central High School. Grass on the field needed some major seeding between the hash marks...was worried about the trippage factor especially when the rains began. Nice capacity crowd. I live outside of Memphis so this was my daughter's home show.

Music City Legend

Small group from Nashville performed in exhibition. I loved the conductor whose interaction with the crowd was fun and unexpected. They did not do any drill, per say, but had lovely limbo technique. Very nice for the vocabulary score.

They played one of my most favorite Pablo Cruise songs.

Couture Score: 3 - Lose the sashes.

Court of Honor

Performed music from Suessical the Musical which I found interesting because being a long time fan of Dr. Suess, was interested to hear the score. I was thinking to myself, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, should have been represented. Couture Score: 7 - Loved the corps uniforms. The Guard's quirky coveralls were very Suessesque and I especially loved the "Cat in the Hat" flags.

Americanos

The Guard did a wonderful job holding onto their equipment when the cool winds began signaling that the rains were soon upon us. There were hats a-flying and even one of the field judges lent a hand and picked one up so as not to cause any problems. Couture Score: 5 - Loved how their sashes looked like piano keyboards although, I am, in no way, promoting the use of keyboards or pianos in drum corps.

Memphis Sound

Hometown favorite. I would love these kids even if I did not know them. One of the mellophones is the drum major for my daughter's high school. She has many friends who march there. I loved their show and thought that they have done an outstanding job for their second year out. The Guard looked wonderful and has GREAT potential to be really good as the season progresses. Couture Score: 8 - Unis have great field appeal. Good job Bobby. The Guard looked great in their "shades of blue". What was first thought a "lipstick malfunction" on one of the Guard gals turned out to be an argument between her rifle and her nose. The rifle won but she stayed in the entire show like a real champ. No broken bones, thank goodness.

Southwind

I really enjoyed their show. The music of the Mummy was lovely. The Guard had some lovely moments which I enjoyed immensely. Lots of color. Couture Score: 7 - Unis are much better than last year...thank you Broken Arrow. The Guard unis are wonderful but I especially liked the variation of the Guard theme on the Drum Major in black. Very fetching.

Troopers

Besides the obvious choices, the Troopers were one of my favs of the evening. I loved their choice of music which included what I thought was Shenandoah, one of my very favorite pieces. I was standing up and screaming, not realizing that the show was not over yet....then came taps. WOW! What a lovely moment. Loved the flags with the crossed sabres. Couture Score: 9 - I love these uniforms. They are nostalgic and all American. The Guard unis could use some sprucing up but over all....very appealing to this American eye.

Madison Scouts

I really loved their show. Full of action, full of sound. The Guard was on fire! The last note was neverending and took all of the wrinkles out of this ole gal's face. Blew me away!!! The rotating line was wonderful...reminded me of the ice capades. Couture Score: 10 - What is not to love about a bunch of blond, tan, fit, young men in tight pants? My favorite uniform of all corps ANYWHERE.

Phantom Regiment

I spent most of my time staring at the skies and praying that the show would not be called because of the rain. I did not care that I was soaked and my hair looked like Donald Trump's. This was, after all, my first viewing of my first born as a member of Phantom's Colorguard. I would not be denied. I was amazed at the speed of the drill and the beauty of the music. With the exception of the ballad, they were at a full run most of the time. The Guard was wonderful with so much talent and were right on in spite of their wet equipment. I thought that nothing could top Madison's last note....I was wrong. Musically, Phantom is awesome and will continue to amaze judges from here to Denver. I feel honored that they would allow my daughter to be a part of such a great program. Couture Score: 10 - The white uniforms are crisp and clean just like Phantom's music. Missed the chickens, however. The Guard was adorable in their different variations on the tango theme. I cannot wait until I get to see them again...maybe in Orlando, where there might be a chance of sunshine.

To my daughter, I could not be any more proud!! Go get em, girl!! I love you.

Thanks for the review!! :) From a guard person I notice the same types of things. I can't wait to see my first show live this year.

These are my thoughts and opinions and DEFINATELY not that of anyone important.

Hey PhantomMom-

I disagree. I think your opinion belongs to someone VERY important. :)

It's great to get feedback from fans of all backgrounds, music pagentry experience or not. Thanks for a great review and thanks for being such a supportive parent. Your daughter is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky to have you.

Edited by LuvsPAisTe

Disclaimer:  I am a Rookie Phantom Guard Mom with nothing but marching band experience prior to this summer.  These are my thoughts and opinions and DEFINATELY not that of anyone important.

Music City Legend

Small group from Nashville performed in exhibition.  I loved the conductor whose interaction with the crowd was fun and unexpected.  They did not do any drill, per say, but had lovely limbo technique.  Very nice for the vocabulary score.

They played one of my most favorite Pablo Cruise songs.

Couture Score:  3 - Lose the sashes.

thanks so much for the great comments. i try to have fun when i'm on the podium while also being professional, serious, yadda yadda yadda. really, it is all about having fun and loving what you are doing. so thanks for the good words! :worthy:

about the sashes on the uniforms: we have spent out-of-pocket money on just about everything this year from driving to shows, brass instruments, food, and especially uniforms. we are trying to look crisp, clean, and professional without having to spend a fortune on uniforms. i understand your comment though. the sashes can be a bit rough looking and are not always identical on each member. we'll work on it!

thanks again for your comments. and YES, your opinion is important!!! glad you enjoyed the performance and good luck to your daughter this year. i have a friend in the phantom guard as well.

-matthew dudek

Matthew,

Now I feel terrible. I really enjoyed your performance and I hope you take my review in the spirit in which it was given. I take it all back...I loved your sashes. :)

don't appologize one bit. i didn't take your comment offensively and i know that no one else in the corps will either. ALL feedback/reviews are welcome. after all, we do drum corps for our own personal satisfaction and for the crowd!

all i was trying to say is that we are on a tight, tight, tight budget and are trying to look as best as we can within our means. i think the sashes look okay, but hopefully as we can do more fundraisers/add more corps members we will have more of an opportunity to purchase "real" drum corps uniforms.

i didn't think your comment on our sashes was negative or rude in the least. thanks for the input and hope you can come see us again!

-matthew

www.musiccitylegend.org

Thanks for posting the review, PhantomMom. We were at the show, too, and enjoyed ALL the corps very much! Our son is one of those "blond, tan, fit Scouts ...." :)

Thanks for the PR pictures...the fourth one from the bottom is now my desktop of the moment! :P I like the weird glow around them...vaguely phantom-like.