Madison, WI

Back again with my 3rd review this year. Again, be gentle, it's almost 3:30am and I had a long drive home.

Again, I'm a drum corps alum that played bass drum many years ago, so here is what I saw...from a percussive point of view.

Tonight was finally a warm night for me, temps at the beginning of the show were in the upper 70's. High school stadium was big for a high school and there was practically a packed crowd for tonight.

I only saw the 7pm show and not the div 2/3 at 1pm. Sorry, long drive.

Marion Glory Cadets and Lake Erie Regiment: These two corps both had their strength and their weaknesses. Drums in both were very good but brass was bit behind in sound. I would say more, but didn't get the viewing I wanted too for these two corps.

Blue Stars: Yes! They had a great show tonight. I am really starting to see this show come alive. The music seemed a lot more approachable tonight. Brass sound was loud and the quality is just about there. Drums were just great. I was kind of surprised though because the snares seemed quieter than what I could remember. I don't know if it's a stick or head selection issue, but there were times I didn't hear the snare line at all. I would say if anything, check that tuning. Also, bass drum tuning was not as spread as much as I would have liked to have heard it. I think the higher drums could have been tuned a bit higher for a wider range of sound. I'm not one to judge tuning schemes in drum corps a lot, but this seemed to catch my eye (or ear for that matter). Pit was very good tonight and had a lot of projection. Off Topic: I really miss watching that one girl last year play tympani. She was so fun to watch last year and really helped with pit expressiveness. I want to say I saw her in the corps tonight...playing a trumpet??? Anycase, I just wanted to add that she seemed to be a very expressive player and an asset to the corps; just something I miss.

Southwind: OK, the unis I like, look very professional with the white and black and silver accent. My lady (who was with me again tonight) summed it up best when she said "they looked classy with the yellow". I do miss the yellow myself. The corps did a good job tonight and they should be proud. Drums were very nice tonight. It's always interesting to hear the cymbals mounted to the bass drums. Speaking of bass drums, a couple of really nice runs that got me on the edge of my seat. Pit had a nice musical sound. My only big gripe would be mallet selection for the concert bass drum. If promark is there sponsor, they should have some kind of large heavy weight mallet that will produce that big sound when you play the concert bass. I swear they were just using size 3 of the marching bass drum mallets. If you Southwind drum staff hear me out there, get a heavier mallet out there! The mallets they use is good for precise passages, but on impacts (in my opinion, the most important use of the concert bass drum) you don't have the right tools.

Colts: A few weeks back I said in a review that they have big changes that they must do to really make this show work. I keyed the arrangement to be a big factor of its flatness. I'm happy to report some changes have happened. Now there are some nice musical moments. I still think there can be more, there are still some flat areas yet. This book is getting polished and much cleaner. Drums were pretty good tonight, still a bit of dirt yet to clean though. In time this show will grow on me, but still has a lot to grow yet. I can only hope time doesn't run out for this corps. It will happen, time is the issue I think. Overall, I'm pleased but not satisified yet.

Cavaliers: I did something different by downloading the APD of their Louisville show to get me aquainted with it. That was only about a week ago and the changes they have made are amazing! They added the ending for this show and I was blown away with just the fact its a different song! The talent is super high in a group when you can do not only drill, but a new tune along with it. It must be a joy to be a staff member with that group to have such a talent level as these kids do. The show didn't seem tonight to be as polished as I thought it would have been. Maybe it was an off night, I don't know. I'm sure tomorrow will be a different story. Drums are just great. Battery has some really awesome notes being played. They still only had 4 bass drums tonight, and I hope the injured bass drummer is out there soon. I could tell what notes were his, but the bass line did an amazing job covering it for him. Amps and the pit, this I wanted to hear because of the controvery of this topic. They started off with it miked TOO LOUD in the first 5 seconds of the show. Then, all of a sudden, the volume was brought down to a "I have a hard time noticing they are miked" level. What struck me was exactly when this happened, I was looking at the mixer board to see if someone was going to turn it down. It was turned down, but no one was standing there! How did they lower the volume??? Anyways, it works and amps are polly here to stay. I loved the hacksaw noise the pit created, nice texture! The other sound I was wondering about was almost a windchime sound effect. I thought by listening to the recording it was a strung set of car/house keys. When the sound happened, I looked and looked, sorry people, I still have no clue what it is. Maybe next time. Sorry so long, but was a really neat show to watch, and will be a top spot for this corps for sure.

Phantom Regiment: PHASING!!! Holy cow there was a lot of phasing with this corps tonight. This was for sure an off night for Phantom. There was not one or two times the corps phased tonight, more like 7 or 8 times atleast. I don't know what happened. This was my third viewing of this show and it has never sounded like this. I really want to say more about this corps in this review, but feel with such an off night, I'd only be critiqueing a bad show. So, lets just say we forgot about this tonight, OK?

Madison Scouts: With Phantom's show as it was tonight, I'm surprised the Scouts weren't ahead in scores tonight. By far the loudest corps tonight. Scouts were really locked in tonight. Emotion was huge and I could see it in their eyes. Scouts will be a top 6 this year, and they so deserve it. Guard has so much emotion, a joy to watch them! As a corps, still some perfecting of spots in the drill, but other than that, very clean! Drums are very strong. Battery has some really nice solo sections and were played to almost perfection tonight, yes! Overall, I can't say enough about the percussion arranging this year and how it is a drastic improvement over years past. Madison is so back baby! Finally, that last note of the show; I can't say enough that you hear it as the usual long chord at the end of the show, but then everyone around you at the same time realizes that its still going, and it's almost like a switch that turns on at the same time for everyone that you can't help but scream and cheer. Goosebump city!!! I crave for more!

Final Note: Finale had an interesting backdrop tonight of a big yellow, somewhat cloud covered moon, and people at home in the back firing off a bunch of fireworks, "the good stuff".

I got to see Madison play the "victory" (more like home show) concert. They played Malaga in the stand still and all I can say is wow. It's been a long time since I had a drum corps make my ears hurt from such a powerful sound. It was great.

Finally, seeing it was Madison's home show, a lot of alums were there and they got to go out and stand with the corps. They all SANG "you may never walk alone". Wow people, just plain beautiful. I had to hold back tears on this one. I let the many members of the Scouts and the alums do it for me. You know there is something special when you see a man cry in happiness. I was touched and it brought back the feelings of the last time I stepped off the field in a drum corps. I will always remember tonight as a night the Scouts brought back that feeling I've missed from my ageout day. Thank you so much!!!

My next review will be Rockford.

Until then,

Dave

Off Topic: I really miss watching that one girl last year play tympani. She was so fun to watch last year and really helped with pit expressiveness. I want to say I saw her in the corps tonight...playing a trumpet??? Anycase, I just wanted to add that she seemed to be a very expressive player and an asset to the corps; just something I miss.

Dave,

Yes, this member was playing sop tonight. In '03, she had an injury early on but still wanted to march, so in the pit she went. Some shuffling went down and that's where she ended up. She had played sop with the corps 2 years before that. No she's back!

Well, here's uncle z's short but sweet take on the Madison show:

First off, due to the generosity of an old friend, z was sitting second row from the top--just to the left of the fifty (good seats=good times!!!)

Lake Erie Regiment: 15 h, 14 d, 9g. Z thought the drum line would definately drown out the horns, but the horn line held their own. Flag work was very pretty with double purple flags and big red flags in the closer. (Dang!! An old drummer admitting that he was watching the guard???)

Marion Glory Cadets: 19h, 26d, 2g. Very nice pit work. Tymp player was playing very tastefully. Also liked the brush work by the snares. There you go--all drum line comments!!!! (Why is it that every time z hears "The Planets" he remembers 77-78 Blue Stars??)

Blue Stars: It's obvious the Blue Stars have been putting time in working on the execution. Again, z just LOVED the sound of the middle voices. With the good seats, horn line was aimed mostly at me!! And the contras held their horns upright during retreat. THAT's hard corps!!!!

Southwind: Z thinks the whole pit should just play tambourine, they're sooooo good at it!!! One pit guy did an awesome thumb roll on the tambourine--more, more, please :P

Colts: Again, z could listen to "American Overture" over and over and over again. Can somebody please just do a whole show of "American Overture"?? Auntie Z was diggin' the flag work in "Old Man River". So was I. Colt alumnus that came to the show with us was very proud.

Cavies: H%#$ yeah, the amps were up way too loud at the beginning!!! I thought someone was playing a vibra-slap right next to me!!! I gotta see this show again--there was way too much going on!!! The whistling was way kewl! :P

And the flags were awesome. You know, back in the day people used to ask z why he didn't march Madison instead of Cavies. Now you know why. Hindsight is 20-20. Here's a little repartee from after retreat, when Cavies are exiting the stadium: uncle z (to bass drum line): "Hey, where's #2??" bass #1: "huh??"

uncle z: (little louder) "Where's bass #2??" bass #3: "Oh, he got deported!!"

uncle z: LMAO, 'cuz I was a smart-### like that when I was 20, too!!!!

PR: Z thinks the whole pit should play castanets, they're soooooo good at it!!! J/K, the young lady vibe player on the right has obviously patterned her run style after uncle z, circa 79. Very tasteful playing!!! The guard work I was missing in Menasha has been filled in with some great big red mirrors. Z just LOVES that horn line sound.

Madison Scouts: Z just last night noticed a little square reflective accent on the uni about mid-center of the fleur-de-lis??? Anyway, Madison was the most en fuego of all corps here tonight. The hometown crowd was most appreciative, too!!! Sometimes you just wish their whole show consisted of park and blow, but that ain't gonna happen. Z can always dream, though, right??

^OO^ ^OO^

We cut out early, before Madison came back out. Due to VIP parking, we were on the road when gongfunker was still getting scores on his cell phone!!! Did anyone else think that the sirens from the emergency vehicles was a horrible addition to the shows?? (Think Kiltie drum solo from 1978).

Later, Z

Edited by uncle z

Here's a little repartee from after retreat, when Cavies are exiting the stadium: uncle z (to bass drum line): "Hey, where's #2??" bass #1: "huh??"

hehehehehehehe Bassque

Z,

that's one of the reasons I love those guys so much.. it's not just the bass drummers, either.. I think the whole corps has a little of that in them.. they've had me LMAO more times than I can count!

Last season I was on sewing crew the day we fitted the basses for their greens. They came over as a group and I swear it was like a comedy troupe had just walked in. Most of that line returned this year (I think they only have one new guy) so that should tell you why I love those boys of bassque the mostest..

Thanks for the review, too.. I'm looking forward to seeing how they match up against more of the top corps soon!

uncle z (to bass drum line): "Hey, where's #2??" bass #1: "huh??"

That would be my brother (Bassque 3). He's a smart-### when he's home too

Later

Troy

Blue Stars: Yes! They had a great show tonight. I am really starting to see this show come alive. The music seemed a lot more approachable tonight. Brass sound was loud and the quality is just about there. Drums were just great. I was kind of surprised though because the snares seemed quieter than what I could remember. I don't know if it's a stick or head selection issue, but there were times I didn't hear the snare line at all. I would say if anything, check that tuning. Also, bass drum tuning was not as spread as much as I would have liked to have heard it. I think the higher drums could have been tuned a bit higher for a wider range of sound. I'm not one to judge tuning schemes in drum corps a lot, but this seemed to catch my eye (or ear for that matter). Pit was very good tonight and had a lot of projection. Off Topic: I really miss watching that one girl last year play tympani. She was so fun to watch last year and really helped with pit expressiveness. I want to say I saw her in the corps tonight...playing a trumpet??? Anycase, I just wanted to add that she seemed to be a very expressive player and an asset to the corps; just something I miss.

Regarding the bass tuning, I get along with the staff pretty well and the subject of tuning has some up in my conversations with the bass tech. The problem is bass 2. He'd like to tune it higher, but due to it's size (22" if I remember correctly), it's tough to get up.

Regarding the timpanist. She marched soprano in '01 (soprano duet) and '02 (opening soprano soloist.) Last year just before tour started, she injured herself (she's very injury prone) and ended up playing timpani (her first time playing percussion.) This year, she's back on soprano again, where she really wants to be - on the field.

I'll giver her your regards next time I see the corps.

PS. We still play G bugles B)

Blue Stars: <snip> And the contras held their horns upright during retreat. THAT's hard corps!!!!

Funny how numbers will make you take notice, the corps' contras have been doing that for YEARS. At least every year I marched :worthy:

Thanks for the reviews you two!

John Fischer

Blue Stars 95-00

Blue Stars: <snip>  And the contras held their horns upright during retreat.  THAT's hard corps!!!!

Funny how numbers will make you take notice, the corps' contras have been doing that for YEARS. At least every year I marched :worthy:

Thanks for the reviews you two!

John Fischer

Blue Stars 95-00

Yup, I was thinking the same thing :D

FYI (for everyone else), normally, they hold the contras with the mouthpiece at chin level. When they troop the stands for finale, they hold them at eye level. A couple of inches makes a pretty big difference visually.

Edited by bluestarsfco

Yup, I was thinking the same thing :D

FYI (for everyone else), normally, they hold the contras with the mouthpiece at chin level. When they troop the stands for finale, they hold them at eye level. A couple of inches makes a pretty big difference visually.

Like I said, that's one TOTAL hard corps look

Back in the day, my fellow Blue Star tymp players would talk me into humping the 50-lb vibes for all of retreat and not ground them!!!

I did it, too!!

^OO^