Southwestern (San Antonio) 2004 Show Review

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! I really like the format. Keep it up!

"Intermission – Alamodome Souveniers

Burning Question: How are the souvies this year?

When you walked in the A-dome, the first booth you saw was the US Army Bands. Then the McMurray College Marching Band. Then the University of Texas Marching Band. Sense a theme here? The corps stuff was farther back. The Cavaliers had to have had the busiest booth of all, but I think SCV had the best selection of merchandise. (However, I want the monitor that the Cavaliers were using to show their DVD on – holy cow!) SCV also gets props for being the only corps there with infant shirts. Southwind had some great shirts on clearance – I got a 2002 tour shirt for $5. I resisted will all of my might, but I did end up buying the Cadets 1980’s DVD and the Blue Devils Through The Years ‘80s DVD from the DCI booth. Incidentally, DCI has some *great* souvies this year – their DCI @ Mile High shirt is a classic."

#1) What a GREAT review!! The best one ever written! I applaude you!

#2) I toured with the Cavaliers last week and worked the souvie stand (CPI=Cavalier Promotions Inc.). We were EXTREMELY busy in San Anotonio. So busy that (and I apologize to anyone who didn't get what they wanted) because of the set up we didn't have a lot of things we normally have in the trailer. Because San Antonio is indoors we have to carry everything to the souvie area.... which is totally on the other side of the stadium from the parking lot. CRAZY!

I love that monitor also. We get a lot of compliments on it.

Lastly, we have two infant shirts (refer to www.cavaliers.org) ..... my little sales pitch.

Again, LOVED your review.

Interesting review format. I like how you pointed out the how championship shows have a Championship moment. Here are a couple of mine:

84 Garfield - when they ran backwards and played, mellophone soloist

87 SCV - Russian Christmas Music (oops they didn't win-a great second place)

89 SCV - Phantom Remake, dissonant chord progression and the diagonal push

91 Star - Cross to Cross

92 Cavies - Guard climbing the telephone pole

94 BD - Spanish Fantasy

95 Cavies - Jupiter Finale

96 Phantom - clean brass runs

99 SCV - The Canyon

00 Cadets - Horns playing each other's horn and tenors playing behind their back

02 Cavies - rotating the I to H and back to I, blind final drill move

03 BD - legal use of dog whistles, that guy screamed the entire show

Edited by hsreed

In Houston Friday night Magic's "girl" was a real girl, sans wig, and that whole section was longer. I much perfer Friday's version over Saturday's version.

I don't think Garfield seemed overly flat Saturday--I think they just have a blah show this year. Friday in Houston didn't do anything for me, and the show did not grow on me Saturday night. It seems like they go in cycles... they'll have an on year, then an off year, then an on year again.

Cavies and the whistling... much louder and obvious in the Alamodome. It was a subtle effect in Houston. I liked how it sounded in the Alamodome better--you didn't have people (myself included) asking a neighbor "are they whistling?"

All in all, it's a good year for drum corps.

[in Houston Friday night Magic's "girl" was a real girl, sans wig, and that whole section was longer. I much perfer Friday's version over Saturday's version.]

I saw Magic in Houston on Friday nite as well. If I'm not mistaken the guard member that "walked the plank" somehow injured herself a bit later in the show. She had blood streaming down from her scalp, down the side of her head and down her neck. She kept going though. I was really impressed! :silly:

Someone could correct me but I think this was the same young lady.

The dome was a good format for subtle things such as the whisting but I really didn't care much for the echo that created such a "boominess." Outdoor venues allow for a much cleaner sound.

Steve

Edited by sblez

I saw Magic in Houston on Friday nite as well.  If I'm not mistaken the guard member that "walked the plank" somehow injured herself a bit later in the show.  She had blood streaming down from her scalp, down the side of her head and down her neck.  She kept going though.  I was really impressed!  :silly:

Someone could correct me but I think this was the same young lady.

Steve

Yikes! I didn't realize that had happened... drum corps people are real troopers, even when they march other corps!

:silly: