Do you play every day?

stylites

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play every day?

• Yes
    • No

My experience tells me that the necessity of playing and practicing every day depends on the individual. I personally know drum corps soloists who barely practice - they just show up and play - and are fabulous. Then there are the guys and gals like me that need to play every day just to have enough chops to be in their back up band.

it was hard to establish a regular practice time and routine when i was still a music ed major at the u because of the limited number of rooms and you could only sign up for, like, an hour block. no wonder my mallet skills were so bad. everyone was always practicing marimba. but we did have some great equipment but when everyone's practicing the same instrument or you have seniors preparing for their recitals with their multi-percussion set ups....

now, of course, i hardly play at all and my chops are very rusty and it would take a few months before i even came close to the level i was at in high school or early in college. kind of hard to practice any percussion instrument when you live in an apartment. plus, with 17 credits/term, who knows when i'd actually practice? lots of reading for my english classes and stuff to do.

but someday, when i own a townhome or something, i'll get back into it. don't have the money now for gear or practice space. i still have most of my mallets and sticks. even a gong mallet!

Playing everyday is like being a good Catholic, you have to be dedicated and want to do it. I have been doing it for the last 5 years. I have found that bananas are an important part of my playing. Especially during auditions. Potasium for the lips and beta blockers(from the Banana) for the nerves. Try two bananas after three run throughs, and the next morning you will be stronger, and closer to Double C's. Everyone needs to play horn at least a little bit, Mouth piece in the car! Its all good. As for bananas, I think Charlie Anderson turned me on to them. Funny, he was a marching instructor.

Mouthpiece in the car! Definitely counts as playing. Keep the chops in shape.

Even though there are some soloists who can not practice and get out there and scream doesn't mean that they are doing themselves any justice. A standard, daily routine is the best way to progress. Maybe if they are satisfied with just getting out and belting out some high ones then that is ok. But for someone really interested in being a great musician, daily is MUCHO important.

Not everyday...maybe 3-4x/wk?

Thanks!

Sean

w/Stp:

• 7 months later...