California Weekend

Authors note: I am not responsible for spelling mistakes or gramatical errors. I just drove for 5 hours(anyone who has driven in California knows how grueling their traffic is) and I am tired. But thanks anyway.

Just got back from my drum corps fix. Went to all three shows in California, Riverside, Glendora and Santa Ana.

Rather than reviewing each show, since all of the corps were the same in each show, I will do a quick overview.

First of all, to the show coordinators at Riverside and Glendora, PLEASE go to the show in Santa Ana and see what a real drum corps announcer should sound like. The guy in Riverside was a total goof. The funniest moment is when, in describing BK's show, he pronounced Shastakovitch as Igor Shatovitch or something similar. Both announcers were totally unaware what a drum corps was.

For those of you who think that drum corps is dying, just watch the Div. II and III corps. What these kids lack in talent, they make up for in heart. From the Oregon Crusaders to the SCV cadets, these are some outstanding corps. Their presentations are wonderful and they give it their all. Congrats to all of these wonderful kids.

Pacific Crest - I saw them reherse in the afternoon at Riverside, and I have to admit I was not impressed. Now before you start to get mad, They were one of my favorite corps of the weekend. In competition they turn it on. The horn line is lush and powerful, the drumline(sorry I am a drummer) is the weak part of their show, BUT these kids play there butts off. You can see and feel the effort. The drill is wonderful, and above all else, you can see on the kids faces, they ENJOY marching this show. My hats off to the staff and kids in this corps. WATCH OUT if they tour next year.

Seattle Cascades - When I saw them last year in Phoenix, I was mezmerized(?) This year they have turned it up about 10 notches. This corps is for real. Strong hornline, the drumline got better and stronger as the weekend progressed, and a beautiful drill will get these kids into the top 12 at DCI. Anyone going to Madison make it a point to see this corps. They will amaze you.

Blue Knights - I am sorry to offend anyone with this review. That said, the kids are truly trying their hardest. I (IMHO) do not believe the staff did these kids any favors by writing this show. It is flat. It starts out flat, and it ends flat. This is a wonderfully talented corps. PLEASE give them something that shows off that talent. (notice I used the word flat, not boring)

Santa Clara - Although I didn't like this show at first glance, after spending the good part of Sunday seeing them in rehersal, I got it. A strong musical show performed wonderfully, Sorry, but the drumline is the weak link in this show. Now having said that, they were markedly better in Santa Ana than in the two previous shows. This has the markings of a strong, dare I say, 3rd place at DCI.

Blue Devils - This show moves. This is one of the best written drills that they have performed in a while. Now the bad news. BD has gone for a flashy show this year, without a great deal of substance(IMHO). The show starts out kind of in the middle, hits one or two high points(the unison sop feature in Rythum(?) and the drum feature) and thats about it. Drum feature is cool(didn't we see somthing similar out of Cadets a few years ago?). I am going to get flamed for this, BUT, this is not the BD hornline or drumline of past years. Although they are very talented, their control problems are from trying to get to carried away when each section is featured. In the drumline feature, they start to really rock. But then the drumline gets carried away and the tempos get pushed and it creates phasing problems. Without some big changes in this show, I don't see it (for right now) any higher than 4th.

Overall, I have to say this was the most enjoyable drum corp trip I have taken in a long time. It is tough however, to sit through this many corps, three nights in a row.(You DCM people know what I am saying)

Just a quick comment on the BK review. I'm not offended by it but I would like to offer my take on the BK drumline/book. I won't comment on the brass and guard (except for the guards uni's....just what are they wearing anyway?) I'm not sure of your background, but if you listen, either in rehersal or performance (preferably both), d###...they've got some notes to play. Even with the line being on the young side, the drums are coming along real nice. My prediction is a top 8 drum line by finals. In Glendora, BK placed 3rd in drums with SCV beating them by only .9.

Just my 2 cents, and no, I don't give change. lol

Late,

I worked both at Riverside and Santa Ana, and I was given the night off to watch the Glendora show. Oh, and at the Santa Ana show, I was the guy in the goofy green hat running from the field to the press box and back inbetween every performance...aka: Judge Runner (^_^)

Alliance - This group one who will impress people at Madison. Though they are small, and their current scores don't reflect a high placing at championships (last year at this time I believe they hit the 70 mark), this is a group of musicians who will not give up. Their field technique is very impresive. Every transision was like a whip cracking. And by golly, they're using 2 valve horns.

BDB & SCVC - I'm going to combine these 2 because I have the same comments for both. Good shows, tight drumline. The music, not as tight, just feels loose and phase-y. I think as SCVC continues on their tour, they will get more comfortable with their music. Both will be back in So Cal next week for 2/3 competitions.

Esperanza - Wow! I was impressed. That's all I'm going to say. This is a corps surely to contend for the top 3.

Mandarins - Was it just me, or was there a soprano player that got lost on the field during the last couple of sets on Saturday night? I don't think they are any farther ahead than what they were a year ago from now. That opening lick though is pretty good. At Santa Ana, I only got a good view of their pit for I was sitting the judges table on the field. So all I can say was that was a lot of cymbal crashing that went into my ears.

PC - Saturday's show I got pulled in by their guard. That is some amazing work that they put on the field. The choriography with the boxes added an amazaing effect to the overall perfomance. Deafanently the stronger half of ths corps. On Sunday, I saw the show from the field (and a pretty good view of the H-Hat Snare feature). I saw phasing problems with the snare playing and with the corps' marching. On the other hand, the sound from the horns was full and with a lot of energy.

BK - Glendora....A very interesting show I might say. Marimbas moving on the field during a performance is something I must say I haven't seen before. There's a lot of visual work put into this show, but I think there may be a little too much.

S'Cades - Watching this show from the field was amazing. The sound pushed my folding chair (and myself) back against the wall. It's a full energy boosting show that's sure to do well at finals. For what I saw on the field, This corps also some phasing problems with their feet.

BD - I really enjoyed their performance at Glendora. It's a fast in your face look at what we can do kind of show that's...well...really dirty marching wise right now. I didn't get back to the field in time to watch them at Santa Ana, so I sat in the bottom bleechers instead. From what I saw, there are some members that need to get their basics straightened out. Euphonium player (actually a friend of mine from RCC), was bouncing at the end of Channel One like he was on some sort of trampoline or something.

SCV - Gotta say, I love their low brass. Probably one of the strongest Low brass lines in drum corps I think. Also my favorite corps of the weekend. Though I thoutht last years show was more impressive, this years seems to be more powerful as the hornline's book seems to have more melody features then from the past year. ooooooooo that first note is loud (^_^) I justy hope they can clean up their drill a little bit more.

Final note... Yamato is departing this coming Saturday for Illinois. See you all in Madison.

Hey eddie. . . good review, but I think you missed a couple of corps. . . how about Oregon Crusaders and Esperanza? They were at all of those shows too!

And what about SoCal Dream? I know we were only in standstill exhibition, but we were there! Bloody h###...the announcer even forgot to thank us for appearing during retreat, and our Dm was out there!

Heard he got ###### and went off his nut a little...I was back at the recruiting table and only heard about it.

Also - I know they are not as traditional a show as the others, but what about Impulse? They were at all 3 shows and have been at 9 so far this year.

They work hard and have a really good and entertaining show. I know they are frequently slighted by the judges but the audience seems to enjoy their show.

I have seen PC two or thre times this year and I LOVE their show. Am looking forward to hopefully seeing Impulse, SoCal Dreams and Esperanza for the first time!

Unfortunately, you guys are going on 2nd to last (before Pacific Crest) at West Covina this Saturday, so unless we do our park & bark for you before we go on, you won't get much of a chance to hear us. We'll be in the stands for you, on the other hand.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you guys...I marched in '84 with KImella Hillary and Rich Duarte...I'm SURE Rich would remember me, even if we hadn;t mutally posted on the BD board ocassionally

actually, we go on right after you on Sunday, and we are going to get to the gate in time to watch you guys....can't wait!!!

Really? Great! The show order was posted on our member website. Guess it was wrong.