Brief Indy Review

How much of a girlfriend was she?  

a.  She caught you as you were walking out the door to go to the dome.  You must have been in a rush to get to the show that you could not speak with her then, but then all of a sudden you decided to speak with her during the show?  That does not pass the goofy test.

b.  You had not spoken to her in a week and the urge just came over you during the fourth corps of the competition to go speak with her.  My daughter went to cheerleading camp (I hate to admit that, but I have to address this point).  She spoke to her boyfriend while she was gone more than she spoke with me or her mother.   I am assuming that the band camp that your girlfriend went to must have been run like the Navy Seals training session.  No contact with the outside.  h###, criminals I put away  get daily phone privileges and have more access to a phone than your girl friend at band camp--I should inform the judicial system that we are treating our students in band camp in Indiana more harshly than the inmates in federal prison.  In other words, if you were in such a rush to get to the show then to speak with her, then what came over you to speak with her during the competition.  Why did you not go look for your girlfriend before the show even started?  How much of a girlfriend is she that she never called you or you her?  

c.  If she is so much of a girlfriend why did you

1) not go to the show together and

2) have seats together.  

Why do you just not come right out and say the Colts bore the h### out of you and decided to go get a hot dog.  (When I marched with the corps it was not uncommon to see the mad dash of folks to the concession stand as we entered the field of competition--it was rather entertaining to see the people run over each other to get to the exits).

You can't bs a bs'er.  The problem with your post was that you were not being truthful.  Maehdros, yes, I am upset with you, but just tell it the way it is--the truth hurts, to lie or couch what you really mean or did in uncertain terms will get you hurt or in trouble in the long run.  We are all big people on this board.  Call a spade a spade.  If the Colts suck, say so.  If you went to go get a hot dog, say so.

I wonder if we are all big people when my relationship with my girlfriend comes under attack like this. If you want to know, yes I was being entirely truthful with my comments in my review. Remember that I had ordered these tickets at least six months ago. At the time, we hadn't been together very long, so I was still learning her interests. I knew my girlfriend had marched in her high school band, but I had no idea what kind of drum corps fan she was. Like me, she ended up buying a group of tickets, comprised of friends of hers from her high school marching band. My group of ten was people I also knew through marching band, but my girlfriend and I went to different high schools, and we only just met this year at college. I do indeed wish I had bought a ticket for her, but at the time, Ididn't think she'd be interested. She bought her own set shortly afterwards, anyway.

Both of us were the people responsible for organizing our respective groups, and therefore had obligations to other people, i.e. transportation and such. I left for the show around 5 o'clock, and she left around six. We knew where each other would be sitting, so we told each other we would find ourselves then. She found me just moments before the Crossmen were set to take the field. She was in the tunnel entrance, and I was about eight seats from where she was. I tried to get her to come sit with us, but she didnt' think there was enough room for her to sit on the bleachers, and once the corps started playing, obviously neither of us could move from where we were. The Crossmen finished, and I immediately got up and left the stands to go talk with her. The Colts just happened to be next. Were it a top four corps coming on, I probably would have made her sit with me, and we would both have seen the show. However, I did get up, and leave the stands, and I would have done the same if Crossmen, Phantom, Glassmen, Bluecoats, whoever had been coming on the field next. The fact that it was the Colts was pure coincidence.

I'm very dissappointed that you took this turn of events so personally. I never meant anything against the Colts for it. My girlfriend had been a counselor for younger kids, including her own sister at camp. Not band camp, where there's a phone always handy, but a church camp, with real cabins, and no chance for a phone call. Trust me that I missed her greatly while she was gone. I can't believe you saw fit to accuse otherwise, especially on a public forum. This really has nothing to do with my review at all, but everything to do with your perceived slight against the Colts, which I assure you is ill-founded, at the very best. I can only wonder why you didn't think to E-mail or PM me with these concerns beforehand, so I could explain things more clearly. Please be more considerate in the future.

Please don't let these last two posts ruin this thread. I'd love to hear any questions or comments, and the more the better. Now that I've seen all the corps, I just want to keep talking and talking and talking about them all! :blink:

...just giving you a hard time!

So tell me, is there anything good about a corps show in a dome?

Ummmmmm, the weather was perfect :P

ONe good thing...

..The wind was incredibly strong on Saturday. At the Cavies practice site, the guard would toss aerials and have to take at least 4 running step forward to catch them. It was insane!! Anyway, not of that in a dome. Also, the fact that it was an NFL stadium made the bleachers a really sharp downward angles, so the veiw for drill was great! But you were to annoyed by the echo, that you couldnt really appreciate the finer things! Great show, though :D

My thoughts on the domed enviroment.

Venue: It's really two different experiences, being in the upper deck vs. the lower. In the lower deck, the corps is playing directly at you, so you only hear the echo from the drums. In the upper deck, you get that same drum echo, but a lot of the hornline tends to get lost in the rafters. Still, as someone who buys the CD's every year, this was my one chance to see the visual, so I opted for the upper deck. As stated above, the seats in the RCA Dome were great. The angle was perfect so that no matter how high you were, you could see the corps on the field. Admittedly, I wasn't very high up for this competition, but for BOA Grand Nationals last fall I was, and the view was still agreeable. Anyway, being in the upper deck, you did get the Dome affect, and the drums occasionally drowned out the corps. However, it wasn't nearly as bad as has been commented. Of course, I have marched on the RCA Dome floor a total of 25 times, and I've been a spectator a few times as well, so I've probably gotten used to the acoustical affect. Still, for a majority of the time, I was able to hear everything quite well. In fact, in some cases the indoor echo was a bonus. The Cavaliers come to mind here, when they held out a chord in the second movement, and because of the near-perfect intonation, it just rang and rang long after the corps had stopped playing. So I guess to sum up, indoor = good for horns and = bad for drums. Still, I felt that attending the show was very very much worth the money, and being climate controlled didn't hurt the experience one bit.

Maedhros...great review! I really like how you setup the venue, etc as well. I have only been to the RCA dome to watch BOA and perform at GN, so i havent seen corps in there to realize a difference. But when i was there with RCC (we are pretty dang loud) i kinda thought the reverb on final impacts was cool sounding! Although on that same note the reverb did give us one little phasing problem because some started to listen rather than watch which you just cannot do in that dome! I would never want a championships there, but i would like to hear more recordings from in that dome. I have one of the Cadets and Santa Clara from 2000 in the RCA dome and it just sounds really cool!