DCI Midwestern Championships Review - Evening Show

Guest Aderagon

Guest Aderagon

EVENING SHOW

Earlier in the day, I met Joe (EuphoniBone), as he was sitting only one row up from me. Nice guy, and it was good to meet you!

Boston Crusaders (8th Place, 87.15)

I had been looking forward to seeing the Boston Crusaders’ production of “You Are My Star”. I enjoyed it, for the most part. When I first heard about the banners, (Different banners saying things such as “Land of the Free” and “’Tis the Gift to Be Simple”) I thought it was a hokey idea – but they are used extensively in the show and add to the effect, most of the time. Appalachian Spring is the central focus of the show, and it is used rather well. I’m not sure on the ballet moves and dissolving/reappearing company front – almost too ’87 Cadets. However, Boston puts their own spin on it. The ballad is very well done, and the singing of “You Are My Star” is gorgeous, especially with portraits of American icons such as Jackie Robinson and Aaron Copland (composer of Appalachian Spring). It’s also loud enough to be heard without strain. The jazz section is done well, and overall – a very good, not overly cheesy show. Great “flag” drill at the end. I thought they would be higher.

High Point: All around solid, moving show.

Low Point: Many ideas from 1987 Cadets.

Spirit (10th Place, 83.15)

“Darkness Into Light” is a good vehicle for Spirit this year. They have a very abrupt opener like Glassmen 2001, but it soon takes it’s own form with some neat body moves that bends the sound from the horns. The ballad is simply gorgeous, and the closer is very uplifting. Great ensemble sound from these guys, and good guard concept with the costumes growing lighter as the show progresses. Strong corps, edging out Cascades for 10th. They will be in Finals for sure this year – Welcome back, Spirit.

High Point: Ensemble music.

Low Point: Parts of the opener seem to drag.

Crossmen (9th Place, 84.60)

“The Signature Series” is Crossmen’s show for 2002, and it is stunning –visually. With visual alone, this is a Top 5 show. However, some of the brass arrangements just didn’t excite me enough. They’re “jazzy” enough, but not enough to make you get out of your seat, with the exception of the end of Strawberry Soup. However, there is one part of the ending which is odd – three sopranos solo and trio while the corps play, and they overlap very oddly, making one side seem wrong. Brass has some dirt still, but if they can match the musicality with the visual execution – watch out. Color Guard is a plus as always. Two good shows today, Crossmen.

High Point: Visual difficulty and execution.

Low Point: Music seems uninspired at times.

Colts (12th Place, 81.55)

The Colts have a good program with “Revelations”. They have such a good field presence, even warming up all around the field. Color guard is excellent, as are the horns. Drums seem good but aren’t featured all that much. Really great music and drill, at times it does drag a bit. Solid show, Finals quality. Ending drill really flies! If they can keep the intensity up, Colts have a good chance for 12th at Finals.

High Point: Field presence, color guard.

Low Point: Show drags at places.

Seattle Cascades (11th Place, 83.10)

Wow, what a great show. “City Riffs” is a great show for the Cascades, and the arrangements they use are very much different from the Cadets of the ‘80’s. They were the first goosebumps I had in the afternoon show with their opening impact. All sections of the corps are very solid. Simple Song’s arrangement is odd, kinda jazzy, but good. Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs really rocks, and Make Our Garden Grow was an awesome closer. Soloists have a bit of trouble at times. Cascades have the package, they just need to clean. They will be in Finals.

High Point: Overall package, very nice.

Low Point: Soloists at times.

Bluecoats (7th Place, 87.85)

Great opener, one of the best out there. Lots of color! Luckily, the rest of “Urban Dances” doesn’t disappoint. The drill seems much more difficult than last year – these guys are flying! Great music for the ‘Coats this year, an all-around strong show. Nice “traffic jams” in the show, though I would lose the yellow/checkered flags. Dancer in the Dark was very well done, as was the closer. High energy, great corps! Bluuuu!

High Point: Energy and intensity!

Low Point: Brass clarity at times.

Glassmen (6th Place, 88.20)

I was really waiting for “Odyssey” to grab me, but it doesn’t. Drumline is excellent, as is the guard. It sounds like the horns are still having some dirt in their book, but otherwise good. The show grows on you as it moves along, highlight is the ballad. The flugelhorn soloist does an amazing job, even though he is not as featured as last year. The performers are very good, but the show just leaves me flat. Dan Potter said in an interview with the flugal soloist, “There’s nothing boring about your show.” Sorry, but while the members are VERY talented, there are boring parts.

High Point: Soloist and the ballad.

Low Point: Show is very flat.

Santa Clara Vanguard (4th Place, 92.10)

I like the uniforms. Very classy. Their show, “Sound, Shape, and Colors” is an odd one. Awesome opener, musically and visually. They need to be this intense the whole time, if they did – wow. Afterwards, the show just…goes. Visually they are strong, and they play well – just flat. Maybe many viewings will help. The boxes the guard uses in closer is hit and miss, they have moments but for the most part, it doesn’t work. Strong ending. Good corps, but it seems to be “missing” something overall.

High Point: Opener and the ending, new uniforms.

Low Point: Middle of the show doesn’t live up to the opener.

Phantom Regiment (5th Place, 88.95)

I’ve always been a huge Phantom Phan, and this year’s offering, “Heroic Sketches”, is pretty good. I enjoy how uniform they are in entering the field, very nice. Drums, sorry – they’re very ugly. Guard looks spectacular, and performs just as well. Visually, not as strong as others - this could be what holds them back. Brass sounds rich and full, but somewhat crass at times. Great music, especially the Piano Concerto after the ballad (You may remember it from Fantasia 2000). Ballad itself, not typical Phantom. I miss the “power ballads” from the past. Great ending…wow. Nice kick at the end. They will make Top 5 if they can keep ahead of Glassmen and just keep cleaning. Go Phantom!

High Point: Color Guard, Ending.

Low Point: Brass is not blending well at times, Visual program.

The Cavaliers (1st Place, 95.20)

I’ve never been a huge Cavies fan, but I did enjoy this year’s show, “Frameworks”. All sections of the corps is amazing, and visually – untouchable. The opener is not up to par with the rest of the show, but the sonorities in the ballad, and the “box” dancing to the end…there’s not much I can say. All around strong corps, and they will win in Madison this year. Attention to detail is amazing, corps is very confident in performing. Great job.

High Point: Dancing in the “Box”.

Low Point: Opener not at the same level as the rest of the show.

The Cadets (2nd Place, 93.10)

“An American Revival”. I had heard so much going into the show; I didn’t know what to think. This was the show I had been waiting for, and it didn’t disappoint, mostly. They have made cuts in the opener, and it sounds very choppy. Ballad is great, and the flag raising/Pledge is not that bad. Boxes with old advertisements are really cool, very fitting for the show. Then came Boogie. Very cool, but not as loud and big as I expected. Same for the closer. The brass seemed to have some ensemble issues in the closer, but finished strong. Guard did an awesome job telling the story of the show. I really did enjoy this show, but I think Cavaliers are too far ahead for Cadets to catch them, and Blue Devils are nipping at their heels. However, this was my favorite show of the night out of everyone.

High Point: Great GE, show tells a “story”.

Low Point: Opener is very “cut and paste”.

Blue Devils (3rd Place, 93.00)

“Jazz: Music Made in America” is a great show, full of much more energy than the past few years. Every section is solid, and the guard is spectacular. The music book is just way too choppy, and they don’t stay with one melody long enough to expand on it. House of the Rising Sun is the exception, great ballad. Nice use of hair by the guard, really set the mood. Channel One Suite is much too short, and lacks a strong punch. Drums have some nice moments, especially at the end. Again, a great corps, but the show is much too choppy. It is solid, however – and they may catch Cadets if the keep improving.

High Point: Color Guard, Soloists, whole corps very solid.

Low Point: Show is too choppy.

Overall Thoughts

Nice evening show, most shows were pretty accessible. Cavies will win, and Cadets and BD will fight for 2nd. I’m not sure if I like the direction Cavies are going with show design, though. I hope not every corps tries to jump on board. Great energy from everyone, a very good show.

Thanks for reading!

~Cody Jones

EVENING SHOW

Wow, what a great show. “City Riffs” is a great show for the Cascades, and the arrangements they use are very much different from the Cadets of the ‘80’s. They were the first goosebumps I had in the afternoon show with their opening impact. All sections of the corps are very solid. Simple Song’s arrangement is odd, kinda jazzy, but good. Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs really rocks, and Make Our Garden Grow was an awesome closer. Soloists have a bit of trouble at times. Cascades have the package, they just need to clean. They will be in Finals.

Thanks for the great review! It's a shame that the Cascades soloists turned out to be your low point for them...earlier in the season those soloists were right on at all the shows I saw, particularly the sop/mello duet in Simple Song. (By the way, from what I can tell, their arrangement of that piece is based on the Canadian Brass version on their Bernstein album. It's different but extremely good) Hopefully it's just the mid-season issue with chops being tired and will work itself out by DCI.

Okay, I'm compiling my favorite reviews of the year....

Yer one of them!!

(I especially like the fact that you have something different: the High and Low points....)

Thanks!

Cody, I think you did a great job on your review. It seems precise and inciteful. What trouble were the soloists having? I know that they are used to open air stadiums and the sound is totally different than in a closed dome. Also there have been some changes to their show in the past week, so that may be part of it. But glad to know that the Cascades "have the package".

:D

Guest Aderagon

LOL, I meant "show design" - chalk that one up to lack of sleep. :)

Cascade Mama, it just seemed that all of the soloists were pretty nervous and cracked a bit, in both shows. They were not terrible by any means, I just noticed that in both of the shows.

They have such a great show this year. Cascades are becoming a favorite of mine!

nice review man.....good meeting you...ever think about asking for a job at drum corps world?! :D

I enjoy reading all the reviews. Cody, your review was certainly one of the best yet. I also liked the " high point.....low point ". Your review was also telling us what was working technically, and what was connecting with you emotionally. All around great job!. Please post a review again in the future !