• Cavaiers
    • Cadets
    • Crossmen
    • Glassmen
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Spirit

The demand and exposure in Crossmen's opener ALONE put them

above BD and probably everyone else on the list.

I had forgotten how "note-y" X-men's opener was. You bring up a good point that I think has been passed over in this thread: the factor of exposure in ascertaining difficulty.

Since no one has the dvds for this year yet, lets use 2001 as an example. SCV, after their "alarm" chords, have their entire trumpet line play high b's in a unison rythym that gradually gets more complex. You hear about 4 or 5 fraks/cracks, whatever. Fast forward to the beginning of Cadets show, wherein the entire hornline is playing the craziest stuff you can imagine, and it seems flawless. You look at the recaps, find out SCV beat Cadets in brass, and start yelling and throwing things.

It sounds like SCV didn't play as well as Cadets, so how did they win? maybe because the judge was smoking something, or maybe because the brass judged realized the absolutely tremendous exposure of the part.

But wait, you may say, even if the difficulties were equal, Cadets still played better!

Because of the exposure, you hear EVERY mistake in SCV's opener, EVERY ONE. Not so with Cadets (until they play the more exposed YPG). Now, Cadets MAY have done the whole run flawlessly, all 60 players playing every note perfectly centered, perfectly together, with no fraks/cracks whatsoever, but (no slight intended) I doubt it. I think the man on the field found, standing right next to 3 or 4 of them at a time, errors that we in the audience can't possibly catch. And as a result, Cadets beat them in music (judged from the box) and lost in brass (from the field)

OR, maybe they played it perfectly, and the guy was smoking something.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought I'd say this, but where is the Cavies love? I fail to see how anyone can seriously consider their book to be "easy" by any means. 16th note runs in the low and high brass, field-wide (and mind-numbingly in tune) chords held for eternity, a gigantic fugue, what else could possibly be asked of a group? The show wasn't as flashy musically, but by God the substance was there!

My vote went to BD, but I can't see why the Cavaliers can't get credit for one of the most mature and challenging books ever seen in the activity.

Well put....My vote went to BD's as well, but the Cavvie show, even though there werent as many black dots on the page and higher off the staff, was the best executed. They projected the sound of a group twice their size because they matched pitch and listened down etc. I still get chills when listening to it.