MY FIRST SHOW!!

Tim's First Ever Drum Corps Experience

Hey all, last night I saw the show of my life! I'll replay the events starting with the Phantom Regiment rehearsal on Tuesday, their clinic on Wednesday and then the main event: Sioux Empire Spectacular, the first Drum and Bugle Corps International show to ever come to South Dakota.

General Warning/Disclaimer (things to keep in mind while you read this!)

This was my first show ever. I've only been marching for a year and a half with my high school band. So, most of my comments involve music and the "audience General Effect" (Should have used me instead of the missing visual judge!) But I know a lot of you guys were anxious to hear a review out of someone like me so here it is! This first portion is my rehearsal and clinic reaction. But the review is included in this thread (not quite as long as miglrah's San Antonio review, but I only saw 6 corps !).

Tuesday July 30th

12:35 (approx) My little brother went down to my high school to watch the Phantom Regiment rehearse. As we neared the general neighborhood, I shut off the AC in the car and rolled down the windows, hoping to hear those great sounds from the brass. After a few seconds there was nothing. Suddenly the haunting chords sounded and we were absolutely pumped. They were there! The time had come that I'd been waiting for since April!

After I parked, I looked around, assuming there would be people watching. I had talked to a lot of friends and they said that they would be there. I was looking probably rather confused. I didn't know if they were letting people watch or not. But that didn't make sense because I've read about it happening all the time. Well, someone else pulled in and we went together. No one stopped us; they were perfectly fine with it! My little brother sat down right away near the drum sectional and I continued to the main football field while the horns were working on the fourth sketch (as I found out later). They were in a really odd pose that I realized was a battle scene. I was in utter awe!

Well, those guys are human too and they needed to eat. After they were on break, Matt Preloger, a soprano (who's a junior) stopped by and talked to us high schoolers. He had said something to the extent that it was a really nice day weather wise. (It was a hot one for anybody I think, not just South Dakota) But after coming from the South, there's not too much else that could be worse for a corps! We went to Little Caesar's for their $4 pizza day for a little break.

2:20ish

We pulled back in and saw them stretching. I didn't know what the schedule was for a rehearsal day, but all of us wanted them to play. Well...they didn't. Instead, they learned how to crab walk and I guess their lines were really cleaned up because of that for the third sketch. It was really amazing. I mean, these are normal high school and college kids, people like me. They are so disciplined! I knew that coming into this, but until you see the rehearsal technique (or a part of one), you really have no idea. It was nearing some monotony quickly. But one other thing that I noticed is that there were two guys dotting sets with spray paint. They did this frequently and it was really neat.

Drum corps is so much more about perfection, even this late in the season. I think back to high school and that once the end of the season neared, there wasn't too much that could be fixed because people were making the bad habits and they were becoming very natural for people. This is different--we're talking the big leagues here!

I had to pick up my mom from her classroom (she's a teacher and we only had two cars. I had one and my dad had the other) at 4. So my brother and I left once again, hoping we could come back and see a run-thru.

6:47 and three seconds (Who really knows?)

My dad dropped us off (this time my middle brother came along too). This was much more exciting. They were facing the west side of the field this time and this was a blessing because the stands are there. The corps was facing them unlike in the morning (which I learned was because the drum and horn sounds interfere if they are facing each other--makes sense!). There were also more people! It became cooler and the clouds were rolling in. I just hoped that it didn't rain. Fortunately, there were only a few sprinkles and it passed.

The corps was doing ensemble work (minus the guard). WOW! This was the first time I heard the familiar Shostakovich music that I had been listening to non-stop. Immediate goose bumps there, folks. They were cleaning up a new 360 move that was added in just this morning (I didn't see that). It was inconsistent and that was the biggest gripe from the staff. It was so hard though, the spin had to be done within only a few beats, but when executed wonderfully, it provides a punch to the music and is really cool.

More people filled the small high school stands as the guard came in. They were just dead on all the time! I love the Russian sickles (look like the end of the Grim Reaper scythe) that they use and they provide a very unique part of the show. During this time, I couldn't help but watch the guard. The girls are incredible!

It was run-thru time! I stood up in the last row bench (the stands are very low). The opening chords were brilliant! I couldn't count the times of the goose bumps. Once again, the guard caught my attention while I was taking in the music. But I didn't stray too far from the drill. I think I'll reserve any further comment because I saw the show two more times after this.

The souvie truck was opened and I forgot any money. I glanced at the shirts and thought about what I wanted. We talked to some volunteers that had been band parents and pretty good friends. Their son marched with Phantom in previous years and they just came along this year. It was fun catching up with them, hearing more about corps life!

THE SHOW IS NEARING!!

-----------------------------

Regiment Clinic

Entered Howard Wood Field and saw the other souvie trucks and was in utter awe! There were a lot of high school kids and friends there. I think the totals amounted to 500-700 people. I got a good seat around the 50 toward the top.

I was a little confused why the sopranos had PINK for their shorts. Any color would have done instead of pink. But you can't have everything now can you!

There was a general introduction about what Phantom did and the ages of the kids. It was fun to hear about the four Sioux Falls marchers (Matt, soprano; Micah and Josh, snares; Jenae, guard). ALL from MY high school, thank you very much (maybe another one will be added to their numbers?).

They did some longer ensemble work then last night in terms of how much they covered drill and music-wise. But the staff had plenty of things to say each time. The wind was the major problem for the corps, mainly only the guard this afternoon. In fact, they were told not to do a spin during the upcoming run-thru (I never could find it).

I was excited to see their show again and I felt like I knew it! However, it wasn't as good as the previous night. The 360 move was not very clean and it was somewhat disappointing in those terms. But I thoroughly enjoyed it all the same. I could see the drill a lot better to and that was cool (for lack of a better word I guess).

Then, I decided to buy the Classics Volume 4 CD. It has the years 1996-2001 on it and was a good buy (considering I've only had TWO shows to listen to, finally I have some different music!). The whole family had to go to a baseball game at 6 and so we needed to get some grub as I desperately tried to listen to the CD with some faulty headphones (only one side provided sound!).

THE SHOW!!

My little brother and I left my brother's baseball game early (around 7). The traffic grew and grew as we approached Howard Wood. It was crazy! There were tons of people in line for tickets (luckily we had our reserved tickets with us) as we saw the Phantom horns march away. This was the first time I saw them in uniform (and I happen to like them) and it was rushing!

We found our seats right next to the 50. But they were a little low (row I), about halfway up in the stands. A few Phantom members came out for the National Anthem as the Troopers' pit was assembling. I sat in my spot talking to various people for a while. I think there was confusion as to where the sections were. They weren't painted anywhere, but I knew my spots from checking them out after the clinic. Ultimately, you could sense a curious buzz from the fans. Not too many people have ever seen a show or knew what drum corps were. They were in for a treat (sounding like I've known about corps my whole life)! The National Anthem was wonderful with Phantom. I guess they were sort of the home team corps. I'm not sure if this is because they did the clinic but I think the other factors include having those four Sioux Falls members in the corps.

For some reason, I didn't buy a program, thinking they were around 10 bucks (don't ask me why, I think I misread it somewhere). So the first three corps shows are done with as much recollection as possible, but I can't say too much (and they were the lesser caliber, but still very entertaining).

I won't post scores until the end. You may know what the outcome is of the show, but I'll make this a true review so you are sort of anticipating for the results just as I was!

----------------------------------------------------

Troopers

They are smaller corps but still fun. I really love their uniforms and their souvie truck is very trooperish! I enjoyed their show as a whole. I can't recall a whole lot, however. I guess it was the point where I was just in awe that I was actually seeing this. As I remember that I've been in band, you never get to watch shows if you're a part of a group like this. So the thoughts were just dawning on me that I was actually sitting at a DCI show FINALLY! One thing I did realize was that their pit was incredible. So many times they are drowned during many portions, or we just don't realize what they're doing. But I enjoyed their pit. My main gripe dealt with the music and the fact that I was hoping they would've played more with the brass. Those were just general comments that I recall.

Cool Factor: Pit and Uniforms

Gripe: Hornline wasn't playing a whole lot

_------------------------------------------------------

Pioneer

I saw the tables and I didn't know what to think. I have never seen a pit on the field and it was weird. I think this show wasn't a high point on my mind simply because of the traditional things I was used to through band and such. Most of the time, they seemed in the way. I really didn't see any drill and that was frustrating. One of the pit members was rocking so much that his table/platform was moving considerably. I believe their guard suffered the most from the wind (a few drops that I noticed, but I even saw a Cavies guard drop a flag, so we're not all perfect!)

I enjoyed their guard and theme of the show, however. Also, in actuality, the tables provided a cool effect when the brass hid behind and some were peeking out while the drums where shining. I enjoyed the various solos and solo ensembles throughout the show too.

Cool Factor: Using the tables to highlight soloists and the whole theme of the show

Gripe: Lack of drill (which I know is hard with a small corps) and that played into part with the cumbersome task of moving them during the show. The show was more theatrical than I've ever seen in a band and I guess those things were coming into play when I saw them.

---------------------------------------------------------

Southwind

COLORFUL!!! And I'm not just talking about the uniforms either; the guard flags were just really neat to see. This was also the first big corps that the audience got a chance to see and they were excited. I was intrigued by the theme of Evolution: Darkness to Light. Unfortunately, their music didn't really show it for me. I couldn't sense the dark feeling so much and so the repertoire was my main complaint.

But it was an enjoyable show all the same. The drumline was huge (9 snares and possible 4 tenors if I remember correctly. One of the corps did have 4 tenors and I know that much) and neat. They had enjoyable drill and this was just a general good corps in my eyes.

Cool Factor: Use of color and intriguing theme.

Gripe: The theme didn't fit with the music (the dark themes anyway). Maybe if I see them again (which is a little doubtful) I'll get it a little more.

-------------------------------------------------

It was intermission time and I found out that the programs were only a buck! I bought one and flipped through. The rest of the family finally showed up (mom, dad, and my middle brother). It's too bad that they would only get to see three shows, but they were of higher caliber, let me tell you! My mom gave me a pen and I jotted down little notes that I remembered from the previous three shows. All in all, I was just there soaking up the moments.

----------------------------------------------

Blue Knights

These guys are impressive. One guy told me that the night's show would have three top-notch corps: Cavaliers, Phantom, and Southwind. Yet these guys were the most impressive thus far (Southwind wasn't too far behind, however). Their drill was great and the hornline was loud!

I liked their music too. But I've come to the realization that in order to really appreciate a show, I think that you have to hear the music a few times. But it was just cool music and the Knights were overall great! Most of the sets were together but no one's perfect.

This was the first real visual corps of the night, in a sense of their different bodywork and poses. The crowd loved their first big halt pose; it looked as if they were at war and in some trenches or something. This corps did a good job of expressing the theme of Fear and Trembling. I believe the mellophones and euphoniums were sort of having a stare down with the sopranos. However, after a while, their hornline became more and more like color guard members and with the darkness of both the guard and the corps uniforms, there was no real contrast. Add that the dancing of the horns, some things became excessive in my eyes.

Cool Factor: The show all together, drill and horns (loudest thus far) were good.

Gripe: The hornline was slowly turning into guard members at the last half of the show and I wasn't really up for that.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Cavaliers

Wow. I'll be completely honest here (this is when the review gets interesting) these guys are good. Visually, they are the simply amazing and outstanding. Their guard was entertaining, I don't know if there's a better word than that. (I couldn't help but feel that they were part of some old sci-fi movie, however) Their show concept is dead on with things. You could really tell that things were progressing toward the different themes of melody, harmony, and rhythm. I'll give them kudos to working their butts of. They're flying as many have already said.

But I was not at all impressed with the music and when they didn't play so much, it just left me hoping for something more and it never achieved that point. They were the crowd favorite and I was wondering if it was just because they were undefeated and World Champions (Sioux Falls is a marching band town, not a drum corps town, let me add). I think some biases are coming into play with this. I mean, I was grinning the most during the rhythm portion (the counting aloud, that was cool) and the big jam session within the poles of the "frame" on the field.

I just wanted them to play! I wanted to be blown away with a great musical selection and it wasn't there.

Cool Factor: Extremely entertaining in the visual standpoint

Gripe: TOO visual. Be a drum corps and play (with all honesty)!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Phantom Regiment

I had seen their show two times already. I didn't think that the Cavies were that much ahead of them. I knew their music in the show and I think that contributes to so much in this review. But these guys get the award for being the most professional. This is my kind of corps (my marching band experience comes into play here as well). Their uniforms show their professionalism and it shines throughout the duration of the show.

Guard was great once again! I love their uniforms and I think they jive well with the rest of the corps the most out of any that I had seen this night. The hornline has a tough show to play and they do it well. I think the sopranos could have still been louder in some key areas, but it was just excellent. The 360 spin was very good considering the lags during the clinic.

Some people have been complaining that their drill just isn't there. I think it's there! They're flying in some parts too. I love the ballad and how the corps can within a matter of moves take up the entire field (this happens in the closer too). My heart was set on these guys so much that it's hard to find any gripes! This is the corps that I want to audition for in November!

Cool Factor: The Show in general, especially the music and guard

Gripe: They didn't break 90!! (no visual judge)

--------------------------------------------------------

Scores:

Troopers: 73.20

Pioneer: 73.55

Southwind: 78.95

Blue Knights: 84.45

Phantom Regiment: 88.75

Cavaliers: 95.15

The retreat was cool (having never seen anything like it before) with all the brass. Phenomenal show! The crowd was cheering their hearts out to have another one next year. We (the fans) stood up for every show and even when the corps marched on the track during their exit from the field (except for Pioneer, they went back where they entered from, due to the tables).

The announcer accidentally called Phantom the Cavaliers....grr!

Instead of watching the encore, some friends and I decided to talk to Matt Preloger (the soprano Phantom member from my school). He was ready to come home and be with us (really come home for more than two days!), although he did get to sleep in his own bed for two nights.

We waved goodbye and headed to the stands again. I had to buy a shirt, I was an official phan now. I got the cool dark gray one with Phantom Regiment on the front in small black lettering. I'll be wearing it to "phinals" with an open mind for the other corps (SCV, Blue Devils, Cadets). I think that the Cavies just have a complete different philosophy than PR and my own high school band. All in all this was the most incredible thing that I have ever seen in my life!

Thanks for the comments in advance! I really appreciate them! I mean, I was jotting notes for this review alone (not a whole lot, just 5 words a corps about).

(wow, six pages on the dot!! Not bad!)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fixed this up a bit. (Sorry for those of you who had to read the @#)%@#$*8; version whenever there was a quotation or apostraphe mark!)

Thanks Scribe!

It's not illegal to type something up in Word and then put it here.. the problem is that font you use in Word has a special "image" for apostrophes and quotation marks..

To fix it, all you have to do is go in to "edit" your post.. copy that first one onto your clipboard then hit ctrl+F (the find screen will pop up) and paste the strange number thing into the find screen. You can either do a "replace" then "replace all" with whatever punctuation mark you want to use or you can go through one by one (find next).

When you're done with that, you can open the find screen again and delete JUST the numbers from what you're searching for.. it'll find any others out there with that strange key configuration and you can make changes as needed.

It only takes a minute and it saves one of us from having to do it.

Thanks!

More than anything, Tim, I enjoyed your enthusiasm. Your excitement over the whole experience really came through and made your review a great deal of fun to read. It made me remember how I felt when I first encountered drum corps a "few" years ago.

Glad you finally got to see a show and best of luck with your dream of marching corps.

Great review, Lynkin! I'm glad you had fun! BTW - That's the same shirt I bought this year. Very cool looking. B)

Excellent review! I agree with almost every bit of your assessment of the corps, especially Phantom and Cavies. Glad you enjoyed the show.

Nice job!

You definitely show great enthusiasm. You have a great advantage I didn't when I joined corps. See, I didn't exactly understand what it was. I new it was a musical group and it traveled during the summer, but that was about it. Then they stick this big horn that stuck straight out and had a piston and a rotary on the inside of the thing. What's that!

:(

You will experiance something you will always remember, and something you'll never be able to explain. You mean you have to PAY to do this!

Anyway, you'll be very prepared and that's good.

:D

Lynkin, I couldn't wait to get back from my trip to read your review. I am thoroughly impressed! Thanks for making me feel like I was there in person! Your fresh eyes are what this organization needs sometimes!

I'm glad that your experience as a Phan has phinally been dealt with in real life instead of in cyber land or on headphones or in a video. I look forward to hearing more of your reviews in the years to come!!!