2 valve kings

Sideways

I played a King Flugle horn for 5 years in the Blue Devils. Wonderul horn to play one.

My horn won 4 brass titles out of the 5 years I marched. It was my baby during those times.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The action on the euphonium valves was less than desirable (I think they were the same as the contra valves). That's my excuse for why the euphs always got water-hosed out of cool runs :P . It did have a really nice tone though, was very easy to tune, and you could play louder than heck on it ...I only wish I had bought mine.

> The action on the euphonium valves was less than desirable

My rookie year was on a King 2 Valve Euph. 1988. It was quite the horn in the day. The valves were clunky, slow, and noisey. But it had a wonderful tone and played well. Intonation tended towards the flat side, unless you took a hacksaw to the main tuning slide.

Other deficiencies included a tendancy to come apart in two sections. Valve section and the bell section. We actually had to water down a few horn manuals to be nicer to these horns. But it was the king euph that got me to be a Euph only player. It was just so huge. I thought my kanstul 3 valve horn would be puny compared to it, but they're actually fairly close size wise. The king just looks bigger because of it's very open wrap. Although it is still bigger physically. By an inch or two on the length and height dimensions.

It'd be nice to come across a mint King 2 Valve Euph, but most I've run across these days are barely playable. The valves are out of alignment, the point that the bell section exits the vavle section is usually cruched up. Making most of them barely playable now. And many valves have so much clearance/leakage after so much use, they play even flatter with a fuzzier tone. It'd be nice if they came out with a freshly manufactured bunch of them.

The Kanstul 3 valve just doesn't blow as well as the King 2 valve. The third valve makes it a little stuffy to play and the lower notes don't speak as well. But the tone and intonation tendancies seem much improved. I think the King is still more durable though. A love tap this past weekend with a van door put a sizeable dent in my Kanstul. My old chrome King wouldn't have gotten more than a scratch from the same.

Man I miss that horn.

Shadow_7

> The action on the euphonium valves was less than desirable

My rookie year was on a King 2 Valve Euph.  1988.  It was quite the horn in the day.  The valves were clunky, slow, and noisey.  But it had a wonderful tone and played well.  Intonation tended towards the flat side, unless you took a hacksaw to the main tuning slide. 

Other deficiencies included a tendancy to come apart in two sections.  Valve section and the bell section.  We actually had to water down a few horn manuals to be nicer to these horns.  But it was the king euph that got me to be a Euph only player.  It was just so huge.  I thought my kanstul 3 valve horn would be puny compared to it, but they're actually fairly close size wise.  The king just looks bigger because of it's very open wrap.  Although it is still bigger physically.  By an inch or two on the length and height dimensions.

It'd be nice to come across a mint King 2 Valve Euph, but most I've run across these days are barely playable.  The valves are out of alignment, the point that the bell section exits the vavle section is usually cruched up.  Making most of them barely playable now.  And many valves have so much clearance/leakage after so much use, they play even flatter with a fuzzier tone.  It'd be nice if they came out with a freshly manufactured bunch of them.

The Kanstul 3 valve just doesn't blow as well as the King 2 valve.  The third valve makes it a little stuffy to play and the lower notes don't speak as well.  But the tone and intonation tendancies seem much improved.  I think the King is still more durable though.  A love tap this past weekend with a van door put a sizeable dent in my Kanstul.  My old chrome King wouldn't have gotten more than a scratch from the same.

Man I miss that horn.

Shadow_7

I actually believe that some of the guys had taken a hacksaw to their instrument (my memory could just be incorporating urban legend as fact). At the Star reunion we had a silent auction which included one of our old euphs which was in fantastic condition. I didn't have the money to compete (I think it sold for over $600 bucks...all of us old euphies kept upping the price just to pi$$ each other off).

It's interesting that you say that the 2-valve was as big/bigger than the 3. I always thought the 3-valvers looked smaller. Which was heavier?

> I actually believe that some of the guys had taken a hacksaw

> to their instrument (my memory could just be incorporating

> urban legend as fact).

The urban legend in the day, was that entire lines had taken a hacksaw to these horns tuning slides. You only needed a half inch. Maybe an inch depending on how many leaks the horn had.

> It's interesting that you say that the 2-valve was as big/bigger

> than the 3. I always thought the 3-valvers looked smaller.

> Which was heavier?

The 3 valve is definitely heavier. We had an old beatup silver king 2 valve at the Gulf Coast Sound Family night. The king is a lot more open wrap. But they are very close size wise. The kings bell stuck out further and was of course taller as well. Not by much though, just an inch or two.

I played a deg 4 of my 5 junior years. I remember it's valve section being so far out that the marching staff would get ###### when they asked us to triangulate. Since we could do little more than rotate our elbows. Which we'd do until they gave up and asked us to stop.

We had a mixed section of Degs and Kings, since kings were hard to come by and those that could, refused to play a deg. I had a prototype that literally had a metal bar bracing the valve section to the bell. It was fairly bad intonation wise, but played alright and had a decent sound. Intonation wasn't too bad as long as you stuck to E above tuning C and lower.

Coming by a european shank mouthpiece, or adapter was kind of rough though. I remember wrapping duct tape around my tenor shank 51D when I march westshoremen in '98. Others actually bored out the lead pipe to fit a regular bass shank piece in these horns. I'm starting to get off topic, so I'll shutup now.

Shadow_7