1982 Dekalb Run Off

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like one of our favorite announcers when I marched.Ā  Who knows, could be him.

At the Stillwater Minn show, the announcer would announce us as:

"From Concord California.....TheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeĀ  BAAAAAAAALLUUUUUUU DEVILS"

:music:

Yes my man, that was Joe Bruno In Stillwater..He started doing PA there in the late 70's..

The DeKalb show was amazing, because I still can't remember how they passed the hour between run-throughs..I remember having to console Shawn Owens after the gig, but I told him they were still the best hornline I heard...until I heard BD in Stillwater(featuring an old MBI cronie instructor Todd Tanji)..'nuff said!

Pat

WHO WAS THE BARI SOLOIST IN THE EXIT

IN 1981 ONE OF THE BEST EVER

Doug "Pooh Bear" Kinyon and Dave "DC" Carico.

Pooh Bear is a soloist with the Renegades this year.

Edited by bd5times

I was the PA judge at DCM finals that night.

After a long day of prelims and an already-emotional finals, the panel went into the locker room under the stands for the usual loooong DCM critique. At this point in the Dekalb day, we're all pretty wrung out and ready for it all to be over. Just as we were settling in, the word came to get back out on the field. There was no official explanation to us, just word filtering through prior to Joe Bruno's announcement. After some initial disbelief at the concept of a runoff, it rapidly became clear that this was a stroke of genius on the part of Roman Blenski and Joe Colla (the contest director that night). The stands were still packed (by now it's at least 11:00 PM or beyond) and the atmosphere was absolutely electric. As tired as we all were, I think we all realized that we were participating in something really unique, and it was pretty easy to get re-energized. We had a short meeting just to review mindsets re: objectivity etc., and then the performances started. Just restating what's already been brought up: I do remember the entrance of PR's p*****-off typanist, but otherwise my memories are more impressions of two incredibly emotional performances and off-the-charts audience responses. As a judge, there are rare moments when it's a privilege just to be that immersed in what happens on the field. These back-to-back performances top my list.

Bonus of the night: after all that, no one even considered holding a critique.