1982 Dekalb Run Off

I recognize the name, but can't put a face to it.....little help?

I think I know who it is. Instructor/consultant guy who was friends with Mike Moxley?

WHO WAS THE BARI SOLOIST IN THE EXIT

IN 1981 ONE OF THE BEST EVER

Doug "Pooh Bear" Kinyon and Dave "DC" Carico.

Pooh Bear is a soloist with the Renegades this year.

I work for Tony Smith at his office, bd 1981 amd 82

he wanted me to say hello and thanks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I know who it is.  Instructor/consultant guy who was friends with Mike Moxley?

I think I know who it is.  Instructor/consultant guy who was friends with Mike Moxley?

He work on the new gd, uniforms and visual design team

the opener in 1981 and 1982 and other sections of the visual program

He work on the new gd, uniforms and visual design team

the opener in 1981 and 1982 and other sections of the visual program

Okay. I remember him. Say hi. My sister was in the guard in 81 and 82, Laura Brown.

• 1 year later...
If you witnessed this, once in a blue moon event, please give us your impression of the crowd and corps reactions. The more information, the better. Seems to me this would have been AWESOME!

Rocketman - One More Time!

ampssuck

I had to go back about 150 miles to find this one again, but I did. I knew I had read it

here someplace, but never replied to it even though I always wanted to. So here it goes:

I was at this show, like Jd83, and I was probably in the best "seat" in the house: IN the Madison

Scouts Snare Line. That was a first and only for me in my corps experience... a run-off for first.

I can't put it more eloquently than the article that appears printed from RAMD (thanks to

Jeff Davis for both starting this thread and for finding that article to add in to it) but I can tell those

of you that care that this was absolutely amazing to be a part of.

For me, it was the warming up for the run-off that was spectacular. It comes down to just moments that

you can really recall as being "exciting" from your youth. There were probably a lot of cool things that

happened that you can talk about, but really only a very precious few that stay with you as being "electric."

It wasn't so much the run-off itself for me, as much as it was the being one of the 256 people who were IN it ...

the walking onto the field past other corps who were amassed and saying "do it!" and "Go Madison!" ...

and the best part of it all: my dad catching up with me after our performance (but before the run-off scores

were read, which meant he didn't even watch Phantom, one of his personal favorites) and telling me that was

one of the most exciting moments he had ever had watching me perform.

Glad I finally got a chance to add a reply to this thread.

This photo was taken at that show, Drum Majors only. While this photo was being taken, I think Bruno

announced the scores... and I think we lost the run-off. I think.

DCmidwest82.jpg

Great pic!! Our drum majors, from left to right: Bill Petersen, Chuck Hess, and Mark Gardner. Yes, the same Bill Petersen who coined the term Buicks.

I remember the fans cheering just about anything you or we did. It was amazing that the stands were still pretty full at midnight and they stayed through retreat. Again, this is one of my favorite drum corps memories.

Do you have any more pics of this contest?

I too performed in this historical event. Like GGarrett I was in the snare line, but not the Scouts. My mind is going, but I was thinking the same as Jeff. Seems like 81', but maybe it rained the same year we had the tie-breaker. I was thinking they happend in different seasons, but it has been almost 24 YEARS. A couple of our percussion instructors came out to retreat and told us to "saddle up". The Scouts had tied us and we were doing the show again. I don't believe they had beat us that season yet, (just checked corps reps and they had not) so we were somewhat "###### off" as I remember. I think the only way to break ties is to do the show again. Like overtime for sporting events. A tie for the championship should never happen. Decide it on the field. Fun memories

I was there. We had awesome seats, about 3/4 the way up, and on about the 48. To this day, I swear I saw PR leave the field first. My brother said "Why are they leaving?" And I thought it was because they were protesting the tie. So we start yelling "Stay there! Boo! Stay on the field!!", not realizing they were getting ready to cowboy up again. I'll never forget that night. Phantom's second performance was one of the most emotional I've ever seen. I also remember the Cavaliers and Knights blowing the stands down as they were playing off at retreat.

And GGarrett, that is a fantastic picture.

Madison left first. I thought they were protesting until we started leaving.

I'm sure they did...but I was looking at you guys. I never even noticed Madison.