1982 Dekalb Run Off

Yes I did. I sent you a tape of our DCI 1982 Prelims performance and Madison, SCV, and us playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" among others I can't remember. Speaking of, I really need to digitize us, SCV, and Madison playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" from the second Rockford show before the tape dies. I have the equipment and software, but just haven't done it yet.

Speaking of us at DCI Prelims 1982, (thank you Malibu!!!!)

PR%2082%20Opener.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the equipment and software, but just haven't done it yet.

well..see, now ...jd... now you've gone and told on yourself and i will now pester you until

h e double hockey sticks freezes over. Better get to digitizing... :worthy:

Yes I did. I sent you a tape of our DCI 1982 Prelims performance and Madison, SCV, and us playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" among others I can't remember. Speaking of, I really need to digitize us, SCV, and Madison playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" from the second Rockford show before the tape dies. I have the equipment and software, but just haven't done it yet.

Speaking of us at DCI Prelims 1982, (thank you Malibu!!!!)

PR%2082%20Opener.jpg

Speaking of 82', I'm listening to finals from that night on season pass. Gotta love it! I hate to admit it, but I think the Cadets beat us. I never believed that until I got the Legacy DVD and saw it for myself. They were rockin'.

I also have the '82 Legacy dvd and until I saw the video of our complete show, I didn't believe it. I saw a few June mistakes in our Finals performance and no corps will win a championship making June mistakes. However, I'm not going to point fingers at who did what. We win as a corps and we lose as a corps. DCI Finals was my best performance of the season that year, as it was for most of us, but it was not enough. The Devils were definitely cleaner than we were. Regardless, I'm still proud of what we did and proud to have been a member of the Regiment.

What we did have was the power and emotion of the Spartacus show. We were part of something special with the '82 Spartacus show and a part of history with the DCM run-off.

I also have the '82 Legacy dvd and until I saw the video of our complete show, I didn't believe it. I saw a few June mistakes in our Finals performance and no corps will win a championship making June mistakes. However, I'm not going to point fingers at who did what. We win as a corps and we lose as a corps. DCI Finals was my best performance of the season that year, as it was for most of us, but it was not enough. The Devils were definitely cleaner than we were. Regardless, I'm still proud of what we did and proud to have been a member of the Regiment.

What we did have was the power and emotion of the Spartacus show. We were part of something special with the '82 Spartacus show and a part of history with the DCM run-off.

I totally agree. I felt like the drum line had a better prelims performance, but we didn't suck at finals. I hate to admit this, but about a week before finals, we saw the Devs in Lynn and I remember thinking, we can't beat them. They looked and sounded incredible. Even SCV tried to dust off the bottle dance in an attempt to beat them. Spartacus was a leap of faith, and we pulled it off. What a wonderful ride.

Anyway, I did find a bunch of pics from '81 and '82. Although none as stunning as that perlims shot. I'll get them scanned and put some up here. Most are from finals, but some were from earlier in the season. Also, if memory serves, wasn't the attendence about 40,000 that night. Seems like I remember something like that.

Jd and Kevlar... REPRESENT!

You guys have got to be kidding me with the splittin' hairs you are doing here.

PR was an EXTREME force to be reckoned with in '82...that show was extremely

challenging (i saw it a lot that year and just watched it again last night...) and had

the season gone on for even one more week past DCI to another major event it

may very well have been you guys winning that week.

Listen, IMHO it's like the Olympics... the gold medal winners are the ones who are

remembered most, but the silver and bronze metalists could clean up in the next

competition.

Devils, SCV, Cadets, and you guys were on DECK that night in Montreal. You should

be absolutely as proud as you have said you were, and then some.

What a year that was. B) Awesome. CLICHE ALERT: too bad anyone had to "lose"

Thanks for the comp. Maybe in another stadium, the results would have been different and maybe not. I am proud of what we did and proud to have been a part of the Regiment. There was a group of people in the corps I looked up to that season. Kevin Sherman (Kevlar) was one of them. John Wooten was another. I found their dedication and intensity inspiring. They gave it their all regardless of whether it was a rehearsal or a performance.

I rarely watch the show anymore. I get too emotional. The same thing with the '83 show. I can listen to the shows, but just can't watch them. BTW, the next time you watch the '82 show, on the starting line, in the front arc, I am the second person to the left off the 50. In the Prelims pic posted earlier, I'm in the same positon in the middle arc.

Thanks for the compliments GGarrett, but the Scouts weren't far from being in the mix as well. Didn't mean to be splitting hairs, just thought that BD and Cadets were better after I saw the vid. I never believed that until I bought the Legacy DVD a couple of years ago. I always felt like we should have ended up 2nd to the DEVS. I really didn't like losing to the Cadets. I think they only beat us one other time that year and our drum score dropped 1.4 from prelims. I always felt like the drum line sort of let the corps down. Don't get me wrong. If I had it all to do over again, I would still choose to march with the Regiment. I spent the best years of my life with that organization and I remain close to those involved with the corps today. Just trying to be realistic.

Thanks for the compliments GGarrett, but the Scouts weren't far from being in the mix as well. Didn't mean to be splitting hairs, just thought that BD and Cadets were better after I saw the vid. I never believed that until I bought the Legacy DVD a couple of years ago. I always felt like we should have ended up 2nd to the DEVS. I really didn't like losing to the Cadets. I think they only beat us one other time that year and our drum score dropped 1.4 from prelims. I always felt like the drum line sort of let the corps down. Don't get me wrong. If I had it all to do over again, I would still choose to march with the Regiment. I spent the best years of my life with that organization and I remain close to those involved with the corps today. Just trying to be realistic.

Kev...heartfelt sentiments, very well stated by your-obviously a cool dude-self.

I want you to seriously know...SERIOUSLY...that if there is one guy here at DCP who can

relate to what you have so eloquently stated here...it would be me. Our loss to Cadets was

exactly like yours: only the second loss all year to them; the drumline was the lowest scoring

section for us; AND I wasted a good half hour after the show (when I could have been laughing

and raging with old friends and maybe more clearly relishing my LAST EVER* performance in a

drum corps) walking around pi**ed off that we dropped down and lost to Cadets. It took years

for me to be able to watch their show and realize that they were r e a l l y GOOD that night.

I'm way with you my friend... it's a hard pill to swallow sometimes, but easier when you realize

that you were there...you were in the elite that year... and no one take THAT away from you!!

*Last ever marching with a drum corps, until this summer when I get out there with Mad Alum! :)