These are 5 different Corps!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say #4 is DEFINATELY Madison Scouts!!!!!!

(and I'm totally digging the spats!)

The #4 pic is the 1960 Madison Scouts. C.H. Beebe is seated in the front row, far left (behind the bass drum). One of my early drum instructors stands in the front row, second from the right.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, and people complain that corps uniforms these days all look alike.

:music: Too true. Like, just look at how many corps "back in the day" wore cadet-style uniforms.

Problem is youve got it backwards. Those corps are all boy scout groups. They didnt "choose" that uniform. That WAS the uniform of scouting.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say #4 is DEFINATELY Madison Scouts!!!!!!

(and I'm totally digging the spats!)

The #4 pic is the 1960 Madison Scouts. C.H. Beebe is seated in the front row, far left (behind the bass drum). One of my early drum instructors stands in the front row, second from the right.

And why is noone pointing out the glockenspiels???

Are you sure about #3 being Racine Scouts? I recall their pre-Chrome Dome uniforms were not the standard Explorer uniform, but were more of an olive green and they wore white Aussie-style hats.

How come there weren't any photos of Madisons West Point uniforms?

Are you sure about #3 being Racine Scouts? I recall their pre-Chrome Dome uniforms were not the standard Explorer uniform, but were more of an olive green and they wore white Aussie-style hats.

How come there weren't any photos of Madisons West Point uniforms?

I dont recall Racine Scouts ever wearing White Aussies. Madison started that in 1973 I thought. Would be interesting if someone has a picture of that tho!

But the point of this exercise was just to show all the different Scout corps that used to be out there and how their unis were basically a scouting uniform. Obviously they all wore different uniforms at different times.

Up until early 80s, many corps still had very inexpensive uniforms. (Known as the preCesario days) Madison's were "janitor" unis. 2-7's were also rather inexpensive. PR's were busboy jackets. Many corps (Bleu Raeders come to mind) wore warm up suits. Then there are the VKs of the world!!

Necessity is after all the mother of all invention.

Edited by dans24103

I dont recall Racine Scouts ever wearing White Aussies. Madison started that in 1973 I thought. Would be interesting if someone has a picture of that tho!

It's true. My first year with the Racine Explorers was '68. The last year they wore the green uniforms (mainly for parades) was '67. I missed out. Oh, well. Wish I had a picture, too. Any of you former Chrome Domes out there have one? I know you're out there..... B)

It's true. My first year with the Racine Explorers was '68. The last year they wore the green uniforms (mainly for parades) was '67. I missed out. Oh, well. Wish I had a picture, too. Any of you former Chrome Domes out there have one? I know you're out there..... B)

My first year in the Racine Junior Scouts was 68. Our uniforms looked REALLY close to picture number 2. The green was lighter, probably because they were Boy Scout, not Explorer Scout uniforms. But when I looked at picture number 2, I did a double take because we marched red white and blue drums EXACTLY like the ones pictured.

John Caspers

PS... XDome, do I know you?

My first year in the Racine Junior Scouts was 68. Our uniforms looked REALLY close to picture number 2. The green was lighter, probably because they were Boy Scout, not Explorer Scout uniforms. But when I looked at picture number 2, I did a double take because we marched red white and blue drums EXACTLY like the ones pictured.

Yes, John, we have met...I was known as Jim Brittell, baritone, Racine Boy Scouts 65-67 and Explorers 68-72. Now people call me Jim Brittell....hmmmm.

Maybe we're confused about the drums (and it definitely could be me... :music: ). As I recall, from 65-68 the Boy Scouts had silver drums with the two red stripes like in #3 and the Explorers had the red/silver/blue drums. Guess I'll have to dig into the family photo albums and see about that.

You're right about the uniforms, except that the Boy Scouts had long sleeved shirts, and the neckerchiefs were white with red trim....at least until 68. Of course, there was the "summer uniform" with short pants, short sleeve shirts and knee socks. They were pretty inexpensive uniforms. All the corps provided were the shoulder patch and neckerchiefs and sashes - we had to buy the rest. In fact, that was one of the reasons I joined the Scouts instead of the Kilties - the Kiltie Kadets made you rent the so-called musical instruments in addition to buying the uniform and the membership fee cost more. Plus, back in those days, the Scouts kicked the Kadets' butts good. It was nice while it lasted. B)

There was another reason I didn't join the Kilties, but I haven't figured out how to include the photo on this danged web site....

• 2 weeks later...
1._________________________________________

zwrscouts.jpg

2._________________________________________

zspscouts.jpg

3._________________________________________

zracscouts.jpg

4._________________________________________

zmadscouts.jpg

5._________________________________________

zecscouts.jpg

Ironic that the St. Paul Scout's picture was taken on Barstow Street in Eau Claire and that the Eau Claire Scouts picture looks like it was taken in the Twin Cities!