high stuff on bari

Euph_Dolphin

The best thing that ever happened to my range was getting braces. What that forced me to do for the year that I had them was to really build up the corners of my embrochure, which built a solid foundation for playing in the upper register. I remember my horn instructor that summer walking around behind me during runthroughs saying "push your corners in!" I really had to do it to save my face from the pressure I was used to applying to get the high notes. Once I got my braces off, I had this great mucscle base and a new habit of pushing my corners in to play high. Really, firm corners help in all ranges of the instrument, though.

I guess what you can do is keep this in mind when you practice, and gradually add higher and higher notes to your practice routine. Long tones are good. Start low each day and work up to the highest note you can play a long tone on comfortably. Maybe add a half step a week, or every other week, whatever is comfortable. Rest as much as you play when you're playing these long tones. It's a workout, that's how you build muscles.

Oh yeah, and use lots of air! Good support from the abdominal muscles.

Whatever you do, don't smile! :)

Edited by geneseo_bari_87

Bari screamin'

Those were the days, James Bond and the screamin Bari!!!

Air is most important, I used lips slurs, some Flow Studies and chromatic scales.

Don't make your emborchure smaller when you go higher, relax it and push air... LOTS Of air. make sure your throat is open, better air flow.

hey dolfo. i've been told to just relax and use lots of air. and the best way to use more air is it work on lots and lots of pedal notes. if you had 4 valves you could do tons more. but it really helps a lot.

I must take exception to that. Whereas pedal tones develop very good flexibility and tone quality, it doesnt necessarily lead to high note ability which is more a matter of technique.

I can lip trill from double C on down, hit a high G not even warmed up, yet I can barely do pedal tones on a bari bugle, mostly airballs!

I must take exception to that. Whereas pedal tones develop very good flexibility and tone quality, it doesnt necessarily lead to high note ability which is more a matter of technique.

I can lip trill from double C on down, hit a high G not even warmed up, yet I can barely do pedal tones on a bari bugle, mostly airballs!

thats about the opposite for me, i can belch the pedal tones, but crap at the high octave, can you give any exercises for lip trills

Edited by Euph_Dolphin

I added about an octave to my range by picking up Soprano. Play that horn for a bit and you'll develope a high range. Although doing the same on bari with a full tone takes a bit more work.

Back in the day, I attended a master class by Bill Watrous and he advocated warming up around what you wanted your center of range to be. In his case, it was a high G on trombone. Start there and work your way out from it on long tones. Playing low is great and all, but it never really did much for my upper register.

One of my old private instructors who was a studio guy, taught me part of Bill Adams warmup routine. And we even attended a master class by Bill Adams, which changed my range attributes forever. Once you get past the psychological aspects preventing your use of the upper register it's really not that hard to play high.

The Adams routine consisted of long tones around a center of pitch. Start on low C, go down one half step, then up two half steps, down three, up four, down five, etc. Once you run out of natural notes, take it up a partial and more of the same. Allow ample rest times in there to promote circulation. You're striving for a relaxed, clean, overtone rich tone on each note. It progresses into chromatics to smooth out the transitions between notes. And lip slurs and such. But you should get the gist of it.

The old "how do you get to carnagie hall? practice practice practice." bit. Other range attributes can be accomplished by using a smaller mouthpiece. But even this has limits. It limits your tone and lower range. And doesn't really help you develope a high range, since you're not working the range muscles as much.

I've also noticed that the longer the time between dental visits, the better my range gets. As best as I can figure, the anticeptic used during fillings and such damage the nerves used for my high range. But that's just speculation.

Shadow_7

Pedals and octave slurs... yup