Obscure/Mysterious Drum Corps

What corps merged to for The Thing in the early 70's????

Corps from Milwaukee I believe, I saw them in Wisconsin somewhere in '73.

I thought it was kinda neat to be called The Thing, of course I was only 14

at the time.

You know, along the same lines at the first VFW that 2-7 attended, when people heard the 27th Lancers, it was "the Who?" that caught on as a name that year at that show. I believe it was VFW....well either way, signs were made at the hotel saying "The Who?"...just a bit of trivia I guess.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nancy - I've been collecting some old Fleetwood records over the years but don't have that one - which one is it on?

Uncle z - your pic is scaring me, man!  What kind of unis did the Amoebas wear?

Rob, I agree, that pic is kind of scaring me as well.

:P Anyway, I'd have to look at all volumes to see which one that corps song is on.... :P

You know to go completely off topic, when you quote someone and it says "snapback" (anyone else notice and think of this) I always think of dress center-ready front scpeel where the head snapped back, OR during rifle sectionals, where we'd have our heads snapback, or whatever.....very old school stuff, I just found it amusing and I felt right at home with it being called ["snapback"]

OK, back to the Amoebas, Rocketman, I never thought of that, they would not know that they existed would they? (insert smily scratching chin here)

LancerFi - thinks Rocketman is very smart! :)

Edited by LancerFi

OK, back to the Amoebas, Rocketman, I never thought of that, they would not know that they existed would they?  (insert smily scratching chin here)

LancerFi - thinks Rocketman is very smart!  :)

OK, but think about this. Aren't corps shows put under a "microscope" so to speak? That would be the only way to actually see thier show! Think about it!

Rocketman - Amoeba Fan Club

ampssuck

Hormel All-Girls Drum And Bugle Corps were a unit created by The Hormel Company to promote their products after WWII. They put out the call for women who were formerly military and had musical backgrounds. In fact, the first woman bugler in the history of the United States Army, was their drum major. I've emailed her a few years back (I have to look up her name again) when doing some small research on the Hormel Girls.

Drum Corps History Vol II has some pretty good pictures of the corps. And it should also be pointed out that they were the first Senior All-Girl drum corps to participate in American Legion Nationals (in 1948, I think) in New York.....I have to look up details, sorry....

The girls used to travel across the country in 35 brand new white Chevys...way cool. There was also a Hormel Girls Radio Show that was Nation-wide and widely popular back then, but they were mostly singers and band instrumentalists and not the corps...as far as I know.

The Hormel Co. has a great 100 year history of their company in Austin, MN.....free! Just look up public relations for Hormel and they'll send it to you.....it's a big thick book and there's a great double page spread of the Hormel Girls marching in, I think, Eau Claire, WI (my books are all packed away or I'd have the correct details).

And yes, Ryan, Hormel also had a "Mexican" music ensemble called The Hormel Chili-Beaners at one time. But no, The Hormel Girls were never "officially" called The Spam-ettes, although they were sponsored by the AL Spam Post of Austin, MN........as were the later Spamtown Lancers of the 70s?..sorry, details again are not at hand so don't quote this stuff as gospel without doing your own check first.

There's also a great Hormel Museum in Austin, MN which features the Hormel Girls and I know of, but have not heard, a recording of the Hormel All Girls. One day I'll hear them.

....not only could they play, they were hotties!!! And ex-service women and former military musicians, too.

Gotta love that!

RON HOUSLEY

www.cafepress.com/fresnoferns

Edited by ffernbus3

...and for SCVFan.....

www.cafepress.com/fresnoferns is the address for the one and only OFFICIAL Fresno Ferns Drum & Bugle Corps on-line store.

The Ferns are hunkered down at The Barn right now working on some new projects: a new CD is definately in the works. Mr. F. DaKatt, the reclusive brass arranger for The Ferns --think Phil Spector without the guns-- has sent out some new charts and the transcriptionists are trying to figure them out as we speak.

The guy seems to have a fondness for sketching out parts on the back of coffee shop napkins and worse and then stuffing them in a mailer and sending them over to us at The Barn, so this transcription stuff is necessarily slow and tedious work. Sometimes very difficult to decide what's a slur and what's snot...or worse....except in context and it's very labor intensive work not to mention potentially infective.

Hence the latex gloves. But on the serious side:

www.cafepress.com/fresnoferns

will get you to the store, which is, btw, a non-profit venture as all funds made from Fresno Ferns schwag will be returned to the Drum Corps Activity as sort of a seed-venture to help re-stock, as it were, the number of viable drum corps for the future generations to partcipate in and enjoy.

RON HOUSLEY

Elected Minister Of Information

by the ORIGINAL FRESNO FERNS.